Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Savage XL throttle Fuel Tubing?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 09:39 AM
jayjeff333

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Savage XL throttle Fuel Tubing?

Hello guys, today i replaced the spring on my throttle rod with a piece of fuel tubing. I just wanted to know what size fuel tubing it should be? Right now, i have the fuel tubing a bit larger then the springI removed, but should it be the same size or bigger or smaller? Thanks!
Old 09-26-2009, 10:43 AM
3-172IN MTN

Default RE: Savage XL throttle Fuel Tubing?

I recommend whatever works the best for you. That is going to be some test and reasses stuff that you will have to do!
Old 09-26-2009, 02:15 PM
bigwaltc

Just so its not to long where you can't adjust the brake tension [sm=shades_smile.gif]
Old 09-26-2009, 05:34 PM
jayjeff333

Ok, well, the stock spring is about 2 cm's, and i put tubing that measures 2.5 cms. I know that right now is better then before with the spring, but i dont feel like playing with more different sizes of tubing. I mean, it works good, but i wonder if it can be better...
Old 09-26-2009, 05:57 PM
bigwaltc

That's what the finger adjusting nut is for more brake or less [sm=shades_smile.gif]
Old 09-27-2009, 06:18 AM
jayjeff333

ORIGINAL: bigwaltc

That's what the finger adjusting nut is for more brake or less [sm=shades_smile.gif]
Yes yes, it has to do with the brake drag and what not, but i was just wondering if i can put a different size tubing, and make the brakes even better...
Old 09-27-2009, 01:33 PM
bigwaltc

ORIGINAL: jayjeff333

Yes yes, it has to do with the brake drag and what not, but i was just wondering if i can put a different size tubing, and make the brakes even better...
Can you tell me more about the problems that you are having? I have a XL and a X with XL brake set up and both will flip over forward if the brakes are to tight I don't understand what you want out of them [sm=shades_smile.gif]
Old 09-27-2009, 02:18 PM
jayjeff333

Can you tell me more about the problems that you are having? I have a XL and a X with XL brake set up and both will flip over forward if the brakes are to tight I don't understand what you want out of them [sm=shades_smile.gif]
You probably changed the linkage ? You probably did the ofna throttle mod? Cmon man, you gotta be joking. everyone will agree that the stock xl brakes are *Low-end*. Well, either way, im going to do the ofna throttle mod. I ordered the parts, meaning im gonna change the whole linkage, and not just the ruber tubing.
Old 09-27-2009, 02:43 PM
bigwaltc

You probably changed the linkage ? You probably did the ofna throttle mod? Cmon man, you gotta be joking. everyone will agree that the stock xl brakes are *Low-end*. Well, either way, im going to do the ofna throttle mod. I ordered the parts, meaning im gonna change the whole linkage, and not just the ruber tubing.
No you just don't know how to adjust and fine tune your brakes Newbe [sm=shades_smile.gif]
Old 09-27-2009, 02:51 PM
jayjeff333

Up yours...
Old 09-27-2009, 02:59 PM
bigwaltc

Up yours...
Thank you for being such a mature member of this great HPI savage forum [sm=shades_smile.gif]
Old 09-27-2009, 03:11 PM
jayjeff333

Up yours...
Thank you for being such a mature member of this great HPI savage forum [sm=shades_smile.gif]
Oh and you were Soo mature aswell by calling me noob. Yes, of course.... You wereprobablyin my shoes at one point buddy. Have some courtesy.......
Old 09-27-2009, 03:42 PM
bigwaltc

Hey bro I'm just trying to help you this is what this forum is all about . As I remember before I called you a noob you went off on me aucusing me lying about my brakes that I must have a after market set up and that stock xl brakes are junk. But sense you know it all and if you want to spend money on mods that you don't need and you don't want help solving a very simple problem that you are having go for it!!!
I am done with you and your thread
[sm=shades_smile.gif]
Old 09-28-2009, 06:31 AM
jayjeff333

Hey bro I'm just trying to help you this is what this forum is all about . As I remember before I called you a noob you went off on me aucusing me lying about my brakes that I must have a after market set up and that stock xl brakes are junk. But sense you know it all and if you want to spend money on mods that you don't need and you don't want help solving a very simple problem that you are having go for it!!!
I am done with you and your thread
[sm=shades_smile.gif]
Beautiful, have a great day!!!
Old 10-22-2009, 12:36 AM
dmzamora

I sincerely never understood people complaining about the brakes on Savage.

I had a Savage 21, single fiber brake disc, and it was only a matter of swapping the spring for a piece of fuel tubing to start front flipping at full brakes.

Now I have a XL, and it's double fiber disc brakes like crazy even on the standard spring. I can lock the wheels at 50% braking on the radio, on asphalt. Well, using Revo wheels and tires, with original Terrapins it will flip on demand.

For most setups, the culprit is the extremely weak SF-1 servo, not the brake itself. Swap the servo for something with a little more bite (even a Futaba S3003 is better) and your brakes will instantly shine.

[]s,
Daniel
Old 10-22-2009, 09:11 PM
gpracer

<p class="MsoNormal" style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><font face="Times New Roman" size="3">Sounds like, you are asking if a “bigger” or “thicker” fuel tubing would help? Like a shorter or longer spring, shorter or longer coil turns between the spring… I would use the same size fuel tubing ( outside diameter ) and get the length that slightly pushes the brake shoes to the caliper with the "finger adjustment" in the middle of the screw threads, then use the “finger adjustment screw” to achieve your desired stopping capability. </font></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">

<font face="Times New Roman" size="3"> </font></p></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><font face="Times New Roman" size="3">FYI, the stainless steal “kit”, I think sucks. I have had better breaking with the fiber “stock” than the stainless steal kit.</font></p>
Old 10-23-2009, 12:32 AM
PrjctStrtFrce
My Feedback: (10)

lol, how did I miss this thread with such great posts?!

Stock brakes are great if set up right AND if a better servo is put into place with greater torque. My XL has close to two gallons with original brakes and it still does front flips at times, granted I have a Hitec 985 in there with close to 200 torque, which is about double what the stock servo has, and it also quicker.
Old 10-23-2009, 06:48 PM
bigwaltc

ORIGINAL: PrjctStrtFrce

lol, how did I miss this thread with such great posts?!

Stock brakes are great if set up right AND if a better servo is put into place with greater torque. My XL has close to two gallons with original brakes and it still does front flips at times, granted I have a Hitec 985 in there with close to 200 torque, which is about double what the stock servo has, and it also quicker.
This post should stay dead [sm=shades_smile.gif]
Old 10-23-2009, 07:58 PM
Philly_RC_Guy

Check the two screws that hold the brake pads on. One of them backed out on my Savage and I couldnt adjust the brakes no matter what I did.
Old 10-23-2009, 08:41 PM
rclugnut10
My Feedback: (1)

i have the dual steel disks on my ss stock and they worked great new, front flips, stock setup on an S3003, i now run a aitronics something, its a little better than an s3003 like 56oz of tq, nothing amazing, and i've had to bend the brake rod a little as well as add some extra fuel tubing, i'd get a pic but i'm a few hundred miles away from my savage currently but i'll be sure to post them um, now i can still lock up all the tires easily but frontflips have become less or i'm just a better driver, i bet the brakes have fadded after probally 3 gallons now...

the lug