Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

FIRST START

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 12:21 PM
stackeddeck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FIRST START

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAM-xtXZcUc

I was about to put it in water but throttle pushrod conenction was messed up... mixed that... also I apparently didn't tighten the collet enough because while starting it the flex came out...I hope to get the boat in the water today though.. as you can see I'm pretty close

PSMind my dads silly comments: "the propellar is turning" "is it recording""put it in the water!" lol i think he was more excited than I was

PPStold ya'll I would get it running
Old 10-24-2009, 12:41 PM
nothinbetr2do

Default RE: FIRST START

nice, glad to hear your sticking with it. be sure to post a video when you do get it wet
Old 10-24-2009, 12:58 PM
Dreamin Hemi

Glad as well to see it run, however running it dry like that will only overheat the head and exhaust quickly and kill your engine!

Hope to see some "in the water" vids soon.
Old 10-24-2009, 02:30 PM
stackeddeck

Ok, I tried again. I got it running in the water 2 times. But it doesn't turn very sharply so I was scared at first so I didn't go fast enough to keep the engine alive. I reved it a couple times and it really can fly. Engine kept dying in water though and would die if we didn't give it a ton of gas. It looked great... sorry we didn't get any footage because it was just me and my dad and he had to launch it while I controlled we only got it running for like 8-10 seconds each time but I plan on trying again today with mom so she can video it.

vids coming soon

Old 10-24-2009, 02:33 PM
Dreamin Hemi

Sounds like you need an idle adjustment
Old 10-24-2009, 03:19 PM
stackeddeck

which way do i turn idle needle?

Old 10-24-2009, 07:40 PM
painman

Stack, try to get the boat in the water ASP because it only takes a short time before you start to have a melt down of the O rings in the header and the pipe and even the water jacket will melt the O rings, just a tip.
You need to trim your radio so that you have the correct idle, and have enough brake dialed in so you can kill the motor when bringing the boat back to shore.

Good Luck;

Randy
Old 10-24-2009, 08:39 PM
chief3452

Hey Stacked,

Glad to see you getting your boat going. I have attached a link to a video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVyXzMXh3i0 that should give you an idea of what you need to do for your idle settings. The components might not match yours exactly but the procedure should still apply. As others have mentioned, if you have o-rings in your exhaust header flange they might be cooked due to all the dry running. Check those out and see if they are ok, if they are shot don't run your engine until you replace them. Also, try not to run your engine more than a minute or so on the beach and be sure to run a rich needle setting for at least 3 full tanks. Just wait until you get it sorted out, I bet she'll really haul. Good luck.
Old 10-24-2009, 08:58 PM
stackeddeck

Thanks guys. I will check the o rings but  I didn't run it that that long and the only reason I was reving it so much was because if I didn't it would die. Why does it die when I let it idle? Is the idle set to slow or to fast? It shouldn't be to slow because to get full throttle with the servo's I can't let the carb arm all the way down. Anyway... I will watch that video and try again tomorrow!

Thanks!
Old 10-24-2009, 09:35 PM
chief3452

Hey Stacked,

There are several reasons why your engine may not idle properly. Is your engine new or used? Some things to check are...throttle linkage idle not set, oil/gas mixture, loose carb attaching screws, low speed needle set incorrectly, fuel lines, melted exhaust o-rings, etc. Check everything again, take your time, be thorough. It's usually something simple, don't overlook the small details.
Old 10-24-2009, 09:47 PM
stackeddeck

Thanks chief,
The engine is brand spanking new and I took it down to a local small engine repair man that works on weed eater, chainsaw, and lawn mower engines. He couldn't get it to idle either and said it wasn't running properly but he couldn't find anything wrong. he took all this stuff apart like 10 times but couldn't find any problems. He said it was probably a bad carb even though it looked fine. He said weedeater carbs often have problems that can't be seen and that when given a new carb they work perfectly fine. I really don't thnik thats the problem but just wanted to throw it out there.

I don't really understand what the idle thing is. Isn't idle just when the carb arm is all the way down? I don't understand why you would set that. My carb arm can't go all the way down if I want to be able to get it to go wide open. I will go look at a few things right now that you listed above.

Thanks
Old 10-24-2009, 10:07 PM
nothinbetr2do

first off. take the idle screw out and the spring, you don't need them.
to hook up your radio set. hook everything up, and center your servo's with your remote. then put the horn's on so they are centered of both swings. then set your throttle trim to adjust the carb higher in idle. you want the motor running pretty good rpm wise, when it hits the water. i launch these things by myself
Old 10-24-2009, 10:27 PM
stackeddeck

ok I will do that but I'm gonna just leave the idle screws in for now

Thanks!
Old 10-25-2009, 01:05 AM
danielplace

ORIGINAL: stackeddeck

ok I will do that but I'm gonna just leave the idle screws in for now

Thanks!
There is only one idle screw. The pair next to each other are the mixture screws. The one exposed against the throttle arm is the idle screw. You really do want to remove that and use the servo trim to hold your idle and allow the butterfly to fully close killing the engine when backtrigger is applied(brake). If the boat flips and the engine is still running irrepairable damage can be done. You really need to do this and get in the habit of slamming that trigger hard forward at the first signs of trouble. If your radio isn't equipped with a failsafe one should be installed on the throttle channel.
What number carb do you have? They can be brand new and defective. Very common lately actually.
Old 10-25-2009, 10:52 AM
stackeddeck

Hey thanks, I meant one idle screws the "s" was a typo. I have a failsafe and I think everything is worked out and I'm about to run it again. I have whatever carb usually comes with a stock Zenoah. Walbro 144 I think? Would it make the boat not run smoothly and cut off when it tries to idle or do you think my idle was just set to low? Thanks and hopefully water videos coming soon!
Old 10-25-2009, 06:21 PM
stackeddeck

This will be quick... i got it running but everytime i put boat in water it would cut off.. i think the boat was actually cutting off because the throttle conection not the engine.
set idle screw really high and it ran fine but throttle connection was messed up so i couldnt slow down or speed up.. ot vid of that but it was slow...gotta fix throttle connections

sorry in a hurry bye
Old 10-25-2009, 09:01 PM
badd_maxx.25

are you just putting it in the water and are you giving it a little gas, have you tryed to reset the h/L needles back to stock
Old 11-03-2009, 08:35 PM
stackeddeck

Ok guys I fixed the throttle linkage. I took a cable linkage kit and went over the carb to the metal piece by the high low needles. The set up works amazing well. I also set those needles correctly and added a richer solution of gas. The engine cranks every pull. Its a miracle I know... So Itook the boat out today and it ran well fro the first time. Started right up...went sooo fast. I never realized how fast they go. On youtube they don't seem near as fast as in real life. It flew... had to have been going 35-45 mph. Was going so fast I could hardly control it (went wide open a bit to much... )

Of course I did not come to deliver good news only. I went a little to close to a fallen tree in the water and the boat spun out almost flipping. I went out in the canoe to retrieve it and saw I must have hit something because both blades of my aluminum prop were broken in half. Its really a bummer because the boat was looking amazing! I guess I'm lucky the shards didn't go into the hull. Anyway... Ido have an Octura prop (bronze I believe) that won't be as easily broken. Well its coming in the mail right now along my thunderbolt exprescraft hull/ BH pipe/ and hardware. Iwill use that prop on the easy vee. Once the prop comes in the boat is hitting the water again and I promise I will get footage!
Old 11-03-2009, 09:37 PM
DARKPHREAKX

Its a miracle I know...
Its not a miracle.... Its THANKS to the guys that told you what to do in the MGB Chat!

Give credit wheres it due.
Old 11-03-2009, 10:57 PM
BILLIUM
My Feedback: (40)

ORIGINAL: DARKPHREAKX

Its a miracle I know...
Its not a miracle.... Its THANKS to the guys that told you what to do in the MGB Chat!

Give credit wheres it due.
Amazing how soon they forget!!!
Glad ya got it running just becareful the so called toy boats can ruin somebdy's day fast !!!
Have Funn & be safe !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-04-2009, 05:10 PM
stackeddeck

Haha yea, thanks to the guys in MGB they did greatly contribute to this boat. It is still a miracle though.. lol

Package is at PO box dad is bringing it home... hopefully it will be my package from am with my prop. If so I will try to run her again today if daylight permits.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:49 PM
stackeddeck

Dang, I recieved my BH Hanson pipe in the mail and some miscellaneous hardware from am for my Tbolt. The prop was supposed to be included but on the receipt it said it was on backorder... Wow I nearly kicked my dog I was so mad. (MGBfriends do not make a joke about Vick lol) More unfortunate news (for my new cat at least)the BHhanson pipe doesn't fit into the flange Ihave on my Zen... gotta buy a Hanson flange.. another 50 bucks.. pooey!
Old 11-04-2009, 11:56 PM
dwr9

If you bought a raw prop it will need to be balanced and sharpened before using it. Octura props are made of beryllium copper which causes cancer if ingested so you should at least wear a dust mask while grinding on them. Glad the boat is running well. Doug