Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

How much Servo Torque?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 01:52 PM
djcmeeks
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much Servo Torque?

Okay. I need some opinions about selecting the right servo's for my new project. I don't want to get into the brand name battles. My question is really geared more toward how much is going to be the appropriate torque for each control surface.

I have a 110" Giles 202. Trying to go for a more simple setup. I am going with a DLE-111 engine and plan on using A123 packs (6.6v) all around to avoid needing regulators. I will be using a 2.4ghz radio.

This will be my largest plane thus far (my current largest is a 74" EF Yak) that is why I am needing assistance on servo selection. From searching other threads to seeing what other vendors recommend I am not finding a true minimum requirement. Just to clarify I am not trying to go for minimum, but not going for overkill either $$.

My flying style currently is what I would call "light" 3D. Basic acrobatics, Knife Edge, Hammer Head, and Hover. I don't really stress the airframe too much.

1. AILERONS
The ailerons are cut in half, meaning technically you could have flaps, but I plan on just servo matching them to act as one full aileron. The setup is for one servo per aileron half (or 4 servo's total for both wings). I was wondering if 170+oz servos would be enough like a Power HD HD-DS120M HV, JR DS8411, or Hitec HS-7985MG. That would be around 340oz per wing half.

2. ELEVATORS
Is 200oz of torque enough? or do I need to go with a minimum 300oz servo like the 7955TG or 8711?

3. RUDDER
Current setup is a 2-gang box. So again is two 200oz servo's totaling 400oz enough? or do I need to go with a minimum 300oz servo like the 7955TG or 8711 as well?
Old 11-10-2009, 02:10 PM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: How much Servo Torque?

ORIGINAL: djcmeeks

Okay. I need some opinions about selecting the right servo's for my new project. I don't want to get into the brand name battles. My question is really geared more toward how much is going to be the appropriate torque for each control surface.

I have a 110'' Giles 202. Trying to go for a more simple setup. I am going with a DLE-111 engine and plan on using A123 packs (6.6v) all around to avoid needing regulators. I will be using a 2.4ghz radio.

This will be my largest plane thus far (my current largest is a 74'' EF Yak) that is why I am needing assistance on servo selection. From searching other threads to seeing what other vendors recommend I am not finding a true minimum requirement. Just to clarify I am not trying to go for minimum, but not going for overkill either $$.

My flying style currently is what I would call ''light'' 3D. Basic acrobatics, Knife Edge, Hammer Head, and Hover. I don't really stress the airframe too much.

1. AILERONS
The ailerons are cut in half, meaning technically you could have flaps, but I plan on just servo matching them to act as one full aileron. The setup is for one servo per aileron half (or 4 servo's total for both wings). I was wondering if 170+oz servos would be enough like a Power HD HD-DS120M HV, JR DS8411, or Hitec HS-7985MG. That would be around 340oz per wing half.

2. ELEVATORS
Is 200oz of torque enough? or do I need to go with a minimum 300oz servo like the 7955TG or 8711?

3. RUDDER
Current setup is a 2-gang box. So again is two 200oz servo's totaling 400oz enough? or do I need to go with a minimum 300oz servo like the 7955TG or 8711 as well?

You are actually right on the money with your thoughts in my opinion

For a comparable we will use my 2.6M C-Arf Extra 260 at 29lbs

I used a single 8711 on the ruder and could do KE loops all day if I wanted to

I used two per aileron 5955's

I used one per elevator 8611a's

I just recently sold the plane to a guy that flies all out 3D and he loves it, says it has plenty of everything he needs. If you want to save a little weight and at least one of the servo bays on the ailerons os very close to center and the aileron itself is pretty stiff you could go with a single 8711 or 7955. If you plan to eventually do all out hard core 3D then you do want to stay with 2 per wing to help with the stress, especially if you go with anything other than the Hitec's. The JR servos will wear way faster if used in a single servo setup and done will hard core 3D. I cannot say much about the PowerHD servos.

Old 11-10-2009, 02:50 PM
djcmeeks
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How much Servo Torque?

Sounds like I am about right on my thinking.

300+ oz per wing
300+ oz per elevator
400+ oz rudder.