Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

O.S. 21TM engines

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 05:38 PM
1BadS-Maxx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default O.S. 21TM engines

Hello,
I am fairly new to the Nitro RC world and need some advice. I have a S-Maxx 3.3 that I can't keep tuned to save my life, second engine, first one our fault. I followed the break in as instructed and it still will not run cool below 280 or so and if it is real rich 5-6 turn outto get cooler it runs like garbage and will not keep a tune, it has at least 2 gallons thru it. I am running O'donnell 20% and have been told it musthave an air leak. I have taken it apart and no metal shavings and could notfind any blockage or debries in it. I have put in a 4 wheel drive kit, steel axles, better clutch, 20 tooth bell housing, roll cage, Hi-tech 7955 titanium digital servo for steering, Maximizer beadlock wheels and Pro-line Chevron and Imex Swap dawg tires, RPM A-arms and shock towers, larger air cleaner and the Traxxas 2 chamber resinator for the 3.3and a few other things that I can't think of right now. I am thing about going to the O.S, 21TM but need to know if the 3.3 resinator will still be a good choice for it and what anyone thinks about the engine choice. We don't race just greenbelts and deserts. I am open for advice as this site came highly recommended.

Thanks
Old 11-08-2009, 06:29 PM
rcslsafut

Default RE: O.S. 21TM engines

i dont know about the .21 .but i just bought the os 18 tz for my old t maxx .i love it oooooooodles of power very easy to tune .
i have a os .15 cvr great engine too they are easy to tune very forgiving . im sure the traxxas resinator pipe would be fine ,the os .21
is a drop in replacement for your engine. imo os makes great engines ,i wouldnt be scared to replace 3.3 with os
Old 11-08-2009, 11:02 PM
1BadS-Maxx

Thanks for the info.
Old 11-09-2009, 12:30 AM
quietnas1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the .21TM IN MY jato and it is one hell of an engine. Gobs of power, great tunability, very easy to maintain. I would go for it. Money well spent IMO.
Old 11-09-2009, 12:46 AM
1BadS-Maxx

Thanks, looking for all the input I can get before I drop $300.00 on the engine.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:23 AM
Turboprop130

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

do you tune with a temp gauge?
Old 11-15-2009, 11:28 PM
1BadS-Maxx

Yes and no. I have been tuning by the smoke trail but it is still running hot-270-300. If I fatten it up to run any cooler it wont shift and runs poor.
Old 11-18-2009, 07:58 PM
guys2nv

You cant go wrong w/ a o.s. i have a revo 2.5r w/ the older o.s .18tm-paid 100 for it used w/ like a half gallon thru it-that was 2yrs ago(the .21tm is just a bigger case/block)-this thing will still ride wheelies all the way through 2nd gear and have tons of power. the main thing w/ nitro is u have to put afterrun oil in the engine after your done for the day-thats the biggest thing w/ nitros. wd40 will work to but ive heard that it can dry out seals-not good for nitro-sealing the back plate and the carb r crucial for it to maintain its tune. i like u got tired of the traxxas engines stalling and notholding a tune-the o.s will hold its tune(i havent touched the needles on my engine in over a yr) and it will run from full tank till its empty w/o missing a beat. good luck
Old 11-24-2009, 01:21 PM
1BadS-Maxx

Thanks for the input, just need to come up with the 300 bucks and will let you know how it went.
Old 11-24-2009, 05:07 PM
guys2nv

Nice, hope it works out-$300 is alot to spend just for an engine but u get what u pay for-just break it in properly and dont lean it out to much-richer is always better then leaner and always use afterrun oil after you put it away for the day/week(s).