Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Jr 12 ch recv. w/ pwr connectors.. Can I use this?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Jr 12 ch recv. w/ pwr connectors.. Can I use this?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 12:51 AM
playerpete

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jr 12 ch recv. w/ pwr connectors.. Can I use this?

I have 12x and want to have a pwr system. I have a JR voltage reg. as well but since I need a recv. anyways I have decided to get this. It has two batt. connectors for redundency. My question is,

1. Should I use 2 regulators along w/ his as well? or 2 lipo batt. will suffice?
2. Do i have to use a better switch or can I use the one that comes along? thanks..

here is the link for the recv.

http://dreamworksrc.com/catalog/prod...roducts_id=683
Old 11-30-2009, 07:44 AM
jroth
My Feedback: (60)

Default RE: Jr 12 ch recv. w/ pwr connectors.. Can I use this?

Pete,

I have been using the JR 922 and the 1222 PowerSafe Receivers since they came out two seasons ago. I started with the Spektrum NiMH batteries, but I switched to the ElectroDynamics A123 batteries.

http://electrodynam.com/store/EDN.html

I do not use any regulators. I use the switch that comes with the receiver and I unplug the batteries from the receiver everytime I store the plane.

I really like this battery and receiver combo.

Good Luck,
John
Old 11-30-2009, 12:05 PM
jetfreak
My Feedback: (9)

pete,

Use the switch that comes with it. It is a failsafe switch, if the switch fails for any reason the system will stay on automatically. I use this setup in my tam jets F-18f.

If your going to use lipo batteries with no regulater be VERY VERY CAREFUL on your servo selection. There are new high voltage servos out there that are capable of handling the 8+ DC voltage you will get from a 2 cell lipo. But on lil servos for brakes, retract, and door actuation, they are not designed for 8+volts. On my tamjets f-18f I am using the same rx but with 5cell NIMH 2700mah batteries (2).

If your set on using lipos get some regulators so you don't burn up your servos.

If you want to get the new A123 batteries, do a lil research on them and understand the technology. They are great batteries, They do require a specific charger, You can't monitor voltage to determine how "charged" the pack is. There is alot of info on this technology, research it.

Sean
Old 11-30-2009, 12:09 PM
gunradd

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

I use 2 small duralite regulators with 2 small thunderpower receiver packs. Its light and is very redundant with all the power the new digital servos need.
Old 11-30-2009, 12:51 PM
playerpete

I was thinking of using lipos but then again im kinda leaning towards NIMH. Where do I get NIMH for recv. these days? i havent used them in a whlie..
Old 11-30-2009, 12:58 PM
gunradd

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

If you are using all digital servos I would highly recomend lipos or A123s due to the power demand. NiMh is also weighs more.
Old 11-30-2009, 01:26 PM
jetfreak

Both JR and Spektrum make the batteries for this receiver in nimh with the right conectors already installed and a charge lead. Be sure to disconnect the batteries from rx if you are gonna charge both at once. I believe there is a common ground and it will cause some weird things to your charger. Don't ask how I know

Digital Servos do draw a bit more but not to the fact you "need" lipos or A123's. 6000 mah between 2 batteries is more then plenty enough juice for an F-18F. If your pulling more current then those two batteries can handle you got something wrong with your system. Also, if did have something wrong with your system and were using lipos, you just might have a small "fire" in your jet. Lipos are great batteries as well, but need to be watched closely and mounted in a VERY ACCESSIBLE place.

As far as weight is concerned, your probably gonna need some nose weight, so instead of adding lead, why not get "heavier batteries" or "bigger batteries" if space allows.

Your local hobby store should carry the spektrum and jr batteries. You don't have to get the spektrum or JR you can get NICD packs or anypack for that matter, you will have to get the right connector for them on the heavier gauge of wire.

They make the batteries in 2700,4500 nimh config
Also a few configs in Lipo if you choose that route as well.

Sean
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88585.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	1323579   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa85596.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	12.1 KB
ID:	1323580  
Old 11-30-2009, 04:51 PM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

Lipos and a regulator, specifically a turbo reg from smartfly.com.

I swiched 2 years ago and haven't looked back. I could only see changing batteries if a battery came out this is exactly like a lipo that doesn't have the fire danger of a lipo. BTW, I've crashed with lipos in a jet and had no ignition, I kicked them away from the carnage into open space and they never ignited. I ended up burriying them, 'cause I just didn't want to handle them on the way home.

Just kick them away if you hurt them and respect them in. the. moment. No memory, no cycling, high current handling capacity, light and high energy density.

Raf