Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Too much right thrust? Waco

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Too much right thrust? Waco

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 08:52 PM
pesty351

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Too much right thrust? Waco

Does anybody know what kind of thrust angle are these beast supposed to have. I haven't flown it yet but it looks to have an awful lot of right thrust.

Old 12-03-2009, 09:31 PM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Too much right thrust? Waco

If you look at the Park Zone Corsair from the same angle, it has very similar right and slightly down thrust. I would say yours is probably very close to what you need.
Old 12-03-2009, 09:40 PM
pesty351

Sweet thanks!
Old 12-03-2009, 09:57 PM
MetallicaJunkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

looks like a lot IMO...if it was a glow even more so a gasser i definitely wouldnt fly it...
Old 12-03-2009, 10:09 PM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

kewl when is the maiden flight set to take place?
Old 12-03-2009, 11:43 PM
ram3500-RCU

ORIGINAL: MetallicaJunkie

looks like a lot IMO...if it was a glow even more so a gasser i definitely wouldnt fly it...
I respectfully disagree. Electrics carry a lot of thrust offset. Here is my Corsair, and I wouldn't want any less, and this after maybe fifty flights. She flies like a dream. This is all set up in the factory motor mount.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30562.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	1326245  
Old 12-04-2009, 12:08 AM
Bozarth
My Feedback: (15)

ORIGINAL: ram3500-RCU

I respectfully disagree. Electrics carry a lot of thrust offset. Here is my Corsair, and I wouldn't want any less, and this after maybe fifty flights. She flies like a dream. This is all set up in the factory motor mount.
We need more replies like yours here on RCU! Too many guesses and not enough facts. Your picture is an outstanding response to the original poster.

Kurt
Old 12-04-2009, 01:25 AM
MetallicaJunkie

ORIGINAL: ram3500-RCU

Point well taken..i have virtually no experience in electrics...my opinion was based on my glow and gasser experience, i guess it doesn't carry over into the electric world
Old 12-04-2009, 11:35 AM
skillet92

Guys I have a hangar 9 Corsair with G-20 Gasser and the parkzone corsair. I can tell ya that my electric has a lot more Right thrust built in than my Gasser. Why I do not have a clue. Both fly great. And both require precise ground handling while taking off because of the torque.
Old 12-04-2009, 12:13 PM
pesty351

Hey thanks guys. Im hoping to maiden it as soon as possible I just need to wait for the wind to die down.
Old 12-04-2009, 02:12 PM
ram3500-RCU

ORIGINAL: skillet92

Guys I have a hangar 9 Corsair with G-20 Gasser and the parkzone corsair. I can tell ya that my electric has a lot more Right thrust built in than my Gasser. Why I do not have a clue. Both fly great. And both require precise ground handling while taking off because of the torque.
I have been flying RC for over 40 years now and enjoy nearly all aircraft types of the hobby including the exploding electric type. I have a couple observations to offer on this subject. Our larger and heavier nitro and gas ships have greater mass vs. torque, having heavier wings. They are also generally using slower turning props than any electric direct drive motor (the older gear reduced and slower turning props did not have as much right thrust built in). The light weight (usually foam of some type) electric planes are more easily effected by the torque that an electric motor can exert on it. Most of the weight in them is concentrated very near the mean thrust line (center of the plane). A greater thrust angle helps to overcome all this on these light airframes. Heavier more conventionally built planes powered with larger electric motors, turning typical giant scale props, do not seem to need as much right thrust (more what we would call typical in the 3deg range). I am experimenting with adding weight to the right wing tip on planes (as explained in a recent RC journal) and in does reduce the need for this right thrust (and even reduces the deflection of right rudder on take off), and almost eliminates the effect of torque. Very interesting. For all these years, I went to great lengths to laterally balance my planes, and I should have been making them slightly heavy on the right wing tip. The learning continues.
Old 12-04-2009, 03:21 PM
skillet92

RAM that makes sense. I have other light Electrics and they all have alot of built in thrust. I also have a GP 330s that has a DL 50(That plane is a BEAST) it is WAY over powered and i had to add extra right thrust to it to get it to track straight!
Old 12-05-2009, 08:59 PM
pesty351

Well I maiden it today. It flew well but is very underpowered. If I were to get in any trouble the motor defiantly could not get me out of it. I'm going to have to swap it out with one that has a little more balls.