Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

savage upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 11:20 PM
gflight37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default savage upgrades

hello,
I am looking at getting a x or xl. I was wanting the short list for both for must have upgrades before you even fire it up.
If I go XL I will sell of the k59 and go with the nice .28 or .30 and I just read the the bulletproof diffs are standard now. I don't know if I need anything for the x 4.6.
thanks
Old 12-18-2009, 12:13 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: savage upgrades

RPM center skid plate $13
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXNXF7&P=7

To protect the tranny so nothing pokes up in it and hits it. Also helps keep the brakes cleaner. Also its real easy to install.

No idea why HPI left it open

Thats all I can think of.
Old 12-18-2009, 12:25 AM
gflight37

Are you stalking me? LOL It is hard to sleep in the big ten. I am just trying to wrap my head around my first truck, it gets easier after you first one. It's is like a women. I will probably go with a savage x 4.6 for $400 tomorrow. My LHS has the blue one but me likes red. I would have to order one. Patience.......or blue.
Old 12-18-2009, 10:48 AM
nitrorc89

i just bought a savage pretty cheap will savagex a-arms and stuff mount up on this truck or what i noticed that they dont make the basic savage anymore... will a-arms and stuff still fit whats the difference between the two other than the engine
Old 12-18-2009, 11:51 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

nah just I frequent general, HPI MT, Electric, and the Stadium truck forums, just so happens you posted on boards I goto :P
well Started going to micro forums the other day also. basically anything I own a vehicle in looking for interesting ideas to do to em or if people ask questions answering to the best of my knowledge
Old 12-18-2009, 06:01 PM
jbooker82
My Feedback: (4)

Just bite the bullit and get the blue one now. Your first body doesn't last long anyway.

I don't know if they come with it or not but the HPI wheelie bar with the big wheel is a must.
Old 12-18-2009, 07:28 PM
PrjctStrtFrce
My Feedback: (10)

ORIGINAL: gflight37

hello,
I am looking at getting a x or xl. I was wanting the short list for both for must have upgrades before you even fire it up.
If I go XL I will sell of the k59 and go with the nice .28 or .30 and I just read the the bulletproof diffs are standard now. I don't know if I need anything for the x 4.6.
thanks
LRP30/Ofna053 exhaust=best bang for buck in the XL from what I have read.

Hop-ups=RPM center skid plate (there will be about 1.5 inches of open space in the rear, but it covers the transmission and front end perfectly; sits flush as well), Ofna fail-safe, HPI wheelie bar, upgrade the steering rack bushings to bearings, Dubro fuel filter, upgrade to a 1600mAh Team Orion 5-cell hump pack, BLUE loctite for all the metal-to-metal screws, 20-30wt shock oil, and 50k oil for the differentials.

Some spare parts to keep around are: fuel tubing, spur gears (I would recommend getting a plastic SG as the metal one may shred your CB if it decides to go as well, while a plastic SG would only go by itself), differential gaskets/o-rings, CB bearings/wheel bearings, and a set of screws would help as well. All of this can be purchased off of ebay for a lot less than hobby stores.

ORIGINAL: nitrorc89

i just bought a savage pretty cheap will savagex a-arms and stuff mount up on this truck or what i noticed that they dont make the basic savage anymore... will a-arms and stuff still fit whats the difference between the two other than the engine
Yes, the previous gen. arms WILL fit the current Savages and they are also more sturdy, so they can take a better beating, although in a combined 8+ gallons of running both of my Savages, I have yet to fully break one and I have clipped many things along with cartwheeling, head on collisions with immovable objects, etc.

Opps, I read that wrong. The Savage X4.6 and the XL have the same arms.

Main differences are that the XL has a rechargeable hump-pack, vented CB, aluminum clutch shoes, metal SG, wider stance (wheel spacers), longer stand (extended chassis with an extended rear shaft and different engine mount plate), higher stance (wheels), charging jack in the battery box, different body, and thicker wheel axles with thicker diff. out-drives.