Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Yellow F-18 single build

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Yellow F-18 single build

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 07:49 AM
dbateman
My Feedback: (31)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Yellow F-18 single build

ORIGINAL: YellowAircraft

Doug,

Did you get my PM?
No , i did not. Doug
Old 12-19-2008, 12:39 PM
Shaun Evans

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,

I guess it doesn't matter now, but I responded to your PM the day I got it. Check your box.
Old 12-19-2008, 01:05 PM
dbateman

My pm box is empty. Message must be lost in Hyperspace. Anyway i found a kit. Doug
Old 12-22-2008, 10:25 AM
dbateman

I found a site that has the Duplicolor paints. For the Blue Angel scheme i'm guessing you used Royal Blue, and School Bus Yellow to match the colors? Is this correct? Doug
Old 12-22-2008, 12:13 PM
Kevin East
My Feedback: (1)

Doug
Did you look at the Model Master paints? They have the numbers for the blue and the yellow, With Blue Angel in the name of the paint.
Kevin
Old 01-29-2009, 03:47 PM
dbateman

How do the semi-scale main gear work on the single version? Are they spring loaded with stops to set travel. Do the legs straighten out when the jet lifts off? When the aircraft is sitting on the ground and the gear are in the flexed position, is there still travel for shock absorbsion and does this affect ground handling? I'm debating on how i want to do mine and was considering 3/16" gear wire bent to the shape you see when aircraft is at rest. A coil at top would give some flex and modified robart strut covers will do the rest. Any thoughts?
I'm going EDF with this and weight should be reasonable. Doug
Old 01-29-2009, 04:25 PM
Shaun Evans

Hi,

The struts don't provide any more shock absorbtion than wire gear would. The springs are there just to move the strut into the extended position when not on the ground. Those struts are actually pretty light, but I guess wire would be lighter.
Old 02-08-2009, 01:47 PM
dbateman

Does Yellow sell replacement springs for the mains? If not does anyone know the spring size or dimensions? Also what size wheels are recommended for the F-18 single?
Old 02-14-2009, 01:16 PM
ron Sweeney

Hi I have a YA f18 converted to wren 44 with single outlet thrust tube to maximise thrust and minimise weight. I'll post some pictures in a couple of days. The main wheel size is 3 ins. Without taking the struts apart I would guess that the springs are a maximum of 7/16 ins. diameter. The springs are very light and purely there to straighten the legs prior to retraction. As previously mentioned they don't absorb any landing shocks. The notion of coiled wires is good if you fly from a grass strip and don't posess show pilot skills with your landings. If you crank these to imitate the scale trailing link configuration be aware that they will retract and travel further upwards than the straight struts and could foul the taileron servos if these are placed in the plan position. Ron
Old 02-19-2009, 07:57 AM
dbateman

Thanks Ron, i'm trying a couple different spring combos to get the operation correct. Do you know what spring air retracts can be substituted for the 502's that the kit calls for? Doug
Old 02-19-2009, 12:05 PM
ron Sweeney

Hi Doug, the retract situation with Spring air has always confused me. I am a fan of Spring air units but over here in the UK it's virtually impossible to get spares for the earlier systems. I could never understand why they never stamped the series numbers on the frame. I always have to go to my Brit contact in north Florida at Bobs hobbies for spare parts.
The set I have are air up and down made by Spring Air. I spent many hours of frustration diagnosing leaks which required the procurement of special 'quad seals' for the pistons and the removal of the internal springs which appeared to be biasing the piston sufficiently to cause a leak which manifested itself at the selector valve exhaust, I could go on ad nausea but this won't help. I will try and post the pictures when I get the hang of it. I have only flown the F18 once and then the weather closed in for the winter. I am having problems with the video format at the moment since Utube and photo bucket will not accept VOB format, but I'll get there. Ron
Old 02-19-2009, 12:45 PM
dbateman

I hear you Ron. I have a bunch of video but getting it on the web is another story, I usually just plug the camera into the tv directly and enjoy it that way. It looks like i'm stuck about this gear situation unless someone comes up with a used set to sell. Doug
Old 02-26-2009, 02:17 PM
fire.42

Guys
Heres the link to the video for Ron's Yellow A/C F-18 Hornet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-5T-jipHpM

regards

Dave
Old 02-26-2009, 03:06 PM
dbateman

Looks like the jet flies real nice with the Wren. So it is easy to control with no ailerons? I see the jet noses over at the end. We have a couple guys at our field and the F-18 seems to have some ground handling problems to say the least. I'm going to run nosewheel on hi and low rates, one for taxi and one for takeoff and landing. It that doesnt work a gyro is next. I have found the spray paint that is the best match for the Blue Angel colors. Duplicolor school bus yellow, and Rustoleum dark blue "navy". This combo looks to be very close to the Fed. standard colors ive seen.
I still don't know what i will be doing for retracts.
Old 07-28-2009, 01:58 PM
steveline9

Hi Guys,
just wondered if anyone can tell me if i can remove the elevator bearings from my F18. I have bought the model second hand and want to check the vital parts out. I think i know how to remove them but would rather be told first so no mistakes are made. Also guys its a long shot but im looking for a thrust tube and oleos for it as well if anyone has some please.

Cheers
steve
Old 07-28-2009, 02:56 PM
ron Sweeney

Steve, I may be able to help, I have a set of yellow aircraft oleos and a Tam jets thrust tube spare, and I live in the UK, (West Kirby) on the Wirral. I'm not sure you can extract the bearings once they are installed without removing the formers but you can check them installed by fitting the tailplanes which are a precision fit and checking for play and float. Ron Sweeney. p.s. I assume this is for the small F18 Single engine version since your query is on this forum.
Old 07-28-2009, 03:13 PM
steveline9

Hi Ron, i dont know if my PM's are working so i would like to contact you about the parts for the F18. My mail addy is [email protected].

Cheers
steve
Old 08-05-2009, 11:52 AM
steveline9

Could anyone give me the dimensions for the nose leg for the F18 single as i plan to make one.

Cheers
steve
Old 12-30-2009, 07:30 AM
steveline9

Hi Guys,
have a problem, can anyone help. I have bought the F18 single second hand and while sanding ready for paint i found that the wings flex downward opening a very narrow crack at the top of the wing. Anyone know my best option from here. It will be an EDF setup. I dont know how the wings are secured as i didnt build the model.

Cheers
steve
Old 12-30-2009, 12:45 PM
Shaun Evans

Steve,

That's pretty scary. Is the model already painted? If not, I'd definitely glass the bottom of the wing to the fuse.
Old 12-30-2009, 01:41 PM
steveline9

Shaun,
i have been reading through the build instructions and i now think it is normal that there is no ply fitted to the wing root before glueing to the fus. Is this correct? I have opened up the top of the wing slightly and poured 30 min epoxy into it. It now seems to be solid and the bottom of the wing does not flex upwards.

Cheers
steve
Old 12-30-2009, 02:11 PM
steveline9

The wings are already painted yes Shaun. some white coating on the wings before paint......not glassed.

cheers