Community
Search
Notices
Helimax This is for all your Helimax questions and comments.

Novus CX vs FP

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 09:56 AM
airboston

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Novus CX vs FP

Hello, I'm looking for a little help. I just posted this on wattflyer but I feel this may be a better forum.

My son and I received a pair of micro helis for Christmas. His CX takes off well and settles into a nice hover within seconds. My FP on the otherhand starts to get light on the skids and shoots left like crazy. I figured it was just ground effect but getting a couple of feet under it doesn't seem to change anything. Any thoughts or is this just a newbie problem I'll need to overcome?
Old 12-29-2009, 02:41 PM
dragus359
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Novus CX vs FP

I don't know what you mean exactly by "shoot's left" but helis with the tail rotor on the right tend to drift left as a response to the trust generated by the  tail rotor.  Correct this by applying a touch of right cyclic (bank right a little).  Be careful, because CP helis are sensitive, so banking too hard will result in a crash.  If you go on youtube and look up rc helicopters hovering, you'll notice that they don't hover straight up and down, they lean to the right a little.

Since you said that your heli "shoots" left, I suspect that you need to adjust your left/right cyclic trim.  When you do adjust it, be sure not to use the trim to cancel out the tail rotor effected drift with the cyclic trim, because you heli will want to bank to the right constantly as a result.

Hope this helps!
Old 12-30-2009, 09:00 AM
airboston

Well that make some sence. I've tried to adjust the cyclic trim but even maxed out to the right the heli still floats left at a fairly good clip. The only asumption I have is that it's way out of trim and the directions don't give any settings or even how to trim. I'll try a ligt touch on the cyclic stic first but it just doesn't seem correct to me. Thanks.
Old 12-30-2009, 01:01 PM
dragus359

You can also check the linkages that connect your servos to your swashplate.  Make sure they're all the same length.
Old 01-05-2010, 02:47 PM
jsevey

I just got the FP and had the same problem. One of the swashplate linkages (small ball link looking thing) was detached. Once I reattached it I was able to attribute all subsequent crashes to pilot error.
Old 01-05-2010, 03:27 PM
airboston

WooHoo! I had the FP in a hover for almost 2 seconds!! (I can hover the CX for over a minute in my small livingroom before geting uneasy about crashing).
Old 01-05-2010, 03:51 PM
jsevey

Yep. I have been in a hover for as much as 5 seconds. My son was able to fly it quite nicely after playing around with it for about 5 minutes. He now runs the battery down without crashing marvels at "how maneuverable it is!" Whatever! I watch his thumbs and he is constantly moving the sticks. Too much for an airplane guy like me. I'll keep trying- but I am getting a workout walking to the crash site and resetting everything that came loose for the next flight.
Old 01-05-2010, 04:19 PM
dragus359

Lol, I'm sure you guys will get it eventually.  At least you were smart and didn't start off with a CP heli like I did.  Thinking back on it, I'm surprised I stuck with helicopters, but hey, it all worked out in the end.