Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

JTEC muffler

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

JTEC muffler

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 11:08 PM
SHERDILL
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JTEC muffler

I have an aluminim JTEC in cowl muffler.I need to know is there a special sodder or technique i can use to sodder the exhaust opening shut and cut a new one on the back side.I want to do this because in current configuration the enigine mount obstruct the exhaust stacks hense there is a gap which require an exhaust spacer, but if i turn the muffler around it sits flush with the engine out port but in this case i will have to cut an opening plush weld/sodder shut the origional opening ...bottom line in can i weld/sodder aluminum?
Old 01-03-2010, 08:37 AM
Villa

Default RE: JTEC muffler

Everything I have read indicates soldering will not work. Aluminum welding, if done right, can work. I would find a new muffler that fits.
Old 01-03-2010, 08:55 AM
dhal22

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

not that it matters here but searching for ideas you might have better luck with the correct spelling. the word is solder or soldering but pronounced as you spelled it. good luck. and the mozilla/firefox web browser has spellcheck built in.
Old 01-03-2010, 09:06 AM
TedMo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Kinda (kind of) pitifull nowadays guess that's why we have texting. Which by the way annoys me very much. however, guess that's normal for an 84 year old man to be annoyed.
Old 01-03-2010, 11:01 AM
JustPlaneSweet

Sherdill,

Find someone who can do TIG welding. From the sounds of the modifications you would like it may be better to contact Jtec and have them make exactly what you want.

Stan
Old 01-03-2010, 11:58 AM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Go to the local boat repair place and get some of the Durafix rods. It is an aluminum rod you can use with a standard propane torch and sort of use it like a brazing rod.

[link=http://www.durafix.com/]aluminum repair rods[/link]

I have used it to repair the aluminum heads on my truck, brother in laws boat, and a few pieces for my planes. It is tougher then the muffler.

Dru.
Old 01-03-2010, 12:49 PM
SHERDILL

Blvdbuzzard you are the man!thanks for your help,thats exactly the kind of info i was looking for.Tedmo don't feel bad i am sure dhall22(DAVID) is also 82 .....

Happy New Year!!!
Old 01-03-2010, 04:37 PM
badger5964

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used this aluminium solder to make mousse can mufflers for my combat planes. Soldered the exhaust pipe to can. Have not had one fail yet and is easy to use.

[link=http://www.tinmantech.com/html/aero_solder.php]aero solder[/link]

There is a picture in this link. It is a high temp solder, will not soften or melt.

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7925741/anchors_7925741/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm#7925741]aero solder on mousse can[/link]

Old 01-05-2010, 04:00 PM
SHERDILL

badger5964 thanks for the info,looks like a great stuff.Dru west marine locally does not carry the stuff so i just order a 1/2 pound of durafix rods online,that would be 11 rods.The guy on the phone was very helpfull and videos look promising.I will post pics once i am done....

thanks again
Old 01-06-2010, 02:28 AM
ispirit99

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would like some advice on this subject please. If I cut a canister muffler in half and put it back together to create a smaller profile, will that create a problem like restricting the exhaust flow or cause back pressure issues? The motor is a 28cc gasser. Thanks for any input.
Old 01-06-2010, 06:03 AM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: ispirit99

I would like some advice on this subject please. If I cut a canister muffler in half and put it back together to create a smaller profile, will that create a problem like restricting the exhaust flow or cause back pressure issues? The motor is a 28cc gasser. Thanks for any input.
It depends. I don't think that there has been any definitive testing done on various mufflers. Pretty much, just build one and see where the RPM's wind up. If you get lucky, you can say that they produce more power. The sound thing is somewhat important as well. Try the mod. At most, you will only be out a few bucks.

Bill, Waco Brother #1