Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

F/G Fuselage Panel Where it Aint ...

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

F/G Fuselage Panel Where it Aint ...

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 04:59 PM
1Eye
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F/G Fuselage Panel Where it Aint ...

I'm tackling/resurrecting an old project that is taxing my fiberglass repair clue bag: The main and nose l/g holes in the fuse are just that - holes. I want to replicate/repair those openings and incorporate l/g doors. If I was just dealing with flat surfaces it would be a piece of cake but these are compound curves, etc. Gordon Dickens, I think, would be one of the resident experts on this topic as I recall a Web-based article on his resurrection of his crashed F-16.

Doing a topical search across RCU didn't turn up much, so I'm open to any suggestion on where to find the info or advice. Thanks for help or pointers.

Old 01-13-2010, 06:14 PM
marc s

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: F/G Fuselage Panel Where it Aint ...

Not real sure if this would work in your application but if you could tack a chunk of balsa in the hole, sand and shape it to the desired contours, then seal it, sand it, apply a primer, wax it several times and do a simple glass cloth lay-up, that should give you a plug to make a replacement panel.
Sorry if its way of whats required.....

marcs
Old 01-13-2010, 07:51 PM
k12rc

you could glue foam inside then sand to conture glass over it then use lacker thiner melt foam out. Then go over inside with 6 or 8 oz cloth hope this helps
Old 01-13-2010, 08:18 PM
1Eye

ORIGINAL: marc s
<snip> sand and shape it to the desired contours, then seal it, sand it, apply a primer, wax it several times and do a simple glass cloth lay-up, that should give you a plug to make a replacement panel.
Thanks, Marc. While pondering, my thoughts have been heading in that direction too. It would not so much be a real "plug," per se, just a layup fixture to capture the external shape; thne incorporate whatcha pull as new skin.

Thanks for reinforcing my thought process!! Brilliant minds think alike.

Cheers.
Old 01-13-2010, 08:23 PM
1Eye

Oh, for reference, here's Gordon's original repair how-to that I swiped from the Georgia Jets website - very informative. None of it is/was copyrighted so ...

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Xu62474.pdf (468.5 KB, 10 views)