Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Smart-fly PowerExpander Sport

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Smart-fly PowerExpander Sport

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 01:24 PM
smchale
My Feedback: (67)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Smart-fly PowerExpander Sport

I have a SF PowerExpander sport and was curious how the batteries are usually set up? I realize one handles the servo load and the other powers only the rx. Are these hooked up via something like the smart-fly failsafe switches? http://dreamworksrc.com/catalog/prod...roducts_id=590
I only see one lead coming out of the switch, if that's the case, how do you charge the packs? Also, what size packs are folks using to power the rx and servos? Thanks
Old 12-24-2009, 01:33 PM
sweetpea01
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Smart-fly PowerExpander Sport

I have the sport, EQ6, EQ10. The way it works. Whatever voltage you send to the PE is what the servos will see when they are plugged into the ports. Of course if your PE has a built in reg or turbo reg than whatever voltage you have that set at is what the servo's will see. The wires that plug into the RX that have 3 wires are you RX power. They are 5v. You can charge via a standard switch to battery to reg to PE and charge through the switch (something like the JR or Cermark HD switches).
Old 12-24-2009, 01:34 PM
k12rc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what kind of batt are you using makes diff
Old 12-24-2009, 01:43 PM
smchale

I haven't picked batteries yet. I'm open to nicads and lipos. Was thinking of the FlightPower Eon-X Lite 2500mAh 2S 7.4V 25C for the servos, and FlightPower Eon-X Lite 800mAh 2S 7.4V 25C for the rx. These come prewired with Deans ultra plugs. My assumption is that they also come with some sort of balance connector for charging. I wish to keep an eye on weight with my selection. I'm still not quite clear on the switch arrangement.
Old 12-24-2009, 01:47 PM
k12rc

http://www.smart-fly.com/Products/Ex...onnections.pdf
try this site see if it helps
Old 12-24-2009, 02:01 PM
phjoker
My Feedback: (4)

I have the power Expander Pro in my boomerang and I am going to be using the competition 12 in my Flash.
I have 2 2300 6.6 V Mah A,s plugged directly into the expanders. The power expanders keep 5.0 V going to the receiver at all times. The smart fly will also isolate a bad cell or pack . When you plug in your batteries you may notice only 1 light lit on the expander not 2 that is because it is draining for the higher of the 2 packs first when the pack voltage equals out it will draw from both.If one cell in one of the batteries is bad it will shut down the use from that battery and only use the good one.
It does not separate one battery for servos and one for the receiver it just sends a filtered 5.0 volts to the receiver and straight voltage( YOUR BATTERY VOLTGE) to the servos. If you go with lipo or Lith's make sure you use the Regulator

I also use their flag and pin switch. I like the fact that if the switch ever breaks or fails it will do so in the on posistion.
I don't charge my packs through the smart fly I use the charging plug Chad put on his A123,s
Old 12-24-2009, 03:25 PM
sweetpea01
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are overthinking the sport PE.

If you did not have the PE how would you charge your batts? You would use a charge switch. The PE sport is no different. It doesn't have a charge option on it. Your switch or batteries will need a deans lead to plug into the PE. If you go with a lipo they will have a balance plug you can charge with. LION can have both a deans and jr charge plug. NIMH usuallly only come with a JR plug. If you don't use some kind of switch the PE will be on all the time.

If you went with one of the upper PE they have charge points on the PE itself and incorporate the pin failsafe switch. The sport does not.

If you still don't understand just call Smart-Fly. He will explain it to. He is very customer friendly.
Old 01-13-2010, 01:07 PM
smchale

Ok, so still some head scratching here. I have the PE Sport, two of the smart fly HD switches and 2 duralite a123 packs. First, I'm not clear on how to charge/balance the a123 pack as none of the 3 leads have 3 wires (which I thought would be necessary for 2 cells).

There are three leads off the a123, all with only two wires, a long one with a std black universal charge plug, a short one titled 'test lead' and a third that has a yellow universal plug. I changed the long black one to a dean's plug to go into my switch, but now realize that I won't be able to charge through the switch correct, right?

The other problem is that the PE and switches share a common ground so I can't charge one pack at a time, without unplugging the pack....

What am I missing, or misunderstanding?

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki17969.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	1355372   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kg14860.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	1355373  
Old 01-13-2010, 01:35 PM
smchale

Ok, quick call to Todd and he clarified that the balancer is built into the pack. The long lead (that I have the Dean's plug on) goes to my rx via the switch and the yellow lead is for charging. The short lead is for testing the voltage of the pack by bypassing the balancer.

So for guys who use these, do you charge through the yellow plug with only the pos and neg wires, or can you charge through the long black lead (that will be in my switch)? The duralite instructions state that if charging through the yellow lead the rate is not to exceed 1 amp max to avoid damage to the stay balance circuit.

And,

The website says the following:
Q. Can you charge through the black lead?
A. Yes you can. Depending on the battery type the charge rate through the power output leads can vary...and the Duralite A123 packs can be charged up to 4C of the pack rating.

So it would appear that I can charge direct through my switch? But...I still need to disconect one of the packs to charge correctly. It's not enough to just have the switch off. Right?
Old 01-13-2010, 01:58 PM
smchale

Forgot to attach this to my question.

Name:	Ol31432.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	347.0 KB
ID:	1355384  
Old 01-13-2010, 03:08 PM
lov2flyrc
My Feedback: (24)

You may charge through the yellow lead at up to 1A for standard "Overnight" type charging. If you wish to charge at a fast rate, simply charge through the RX supply lead at a rate up to 4C. I dont suggest you use the charge switch jack to charge at high rate.
Todd
Old 01-13-2010, 05:46 PM
smchale

Todd,

I realized the difference. Duralite don't bring out any balance wires because this pack has a built in balancer. I have a FMA Direct Cellpro 10s charger and it won't allow me to charge this pack on the 10S without modifying the pack. I verified this with FMA.

So, I either need new packs with balance plugs...or a new charger. []
Old 01-13-2010, 06:17 PM
lov2flyrc
My Feedback: (24)

ORIGINAL: smchale

Todd,

I realized the difference. Duralite don't bring out any balance wires because this pack has a built in balancer. I have a FMA Direct Cellpro 10s charger and it won't allow me to charge this pack on the 10S without modifying the pack. I verified this with FMA.

So, I either need new packs with balance plugs...or a new charger. []
Duralite now produces their EXB (external balance) battery series which eliminates the internal balancer and provides a typical balance plug. We can swap out these A123 packs for the EXB series if desired?
Todd
Old 01-13-2010, 09:32 PM
smitty1001
My Feedback: (29)

Todd,

Don't wanna hijack but seems like an appropriate place to ask. With the Duralite 123's, could you use the standard JRconnector to go to Batt Share (gonna run 2) then rx, leave the dean's as a fast charge connection only and never use the yellow tap? Would the cells self balance? (or internally rather)

Name:	Kh17739.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	266.6 KB
ID:	1355613