Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

interested in your opinion

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 08:06 AM
cumquat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default interested in your opinion

i am considering starting a small custom chassis cunstuction business. i was woundering if there is a cage style chassis you have been wanting. i am capable of building fairly strong chassis that are on the heavy side but can be mor adjustable than many chassis out there. i just wanted to know if there was a market for these types of chassis before i sunk a bunch of money that i dont have (yet) and not make any back. thanks for any replies.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:39 AM
dudecat

Default RE: interested in your opinion

Not really sure. I have seen frames on ebay out of metal but to make mass production that i don't have an answer.
Old 01-14-2010, 10:59 AM
GmanBill
My Feedback: (10)

Actually as saturated as the market is right now with aftermarket and knockoff parts being so cheap your market is not strong enough to support your time and cost. Now if the market were a little stronger I would see it, but if you look close the little guy is going out of business daily because they can not compete with China manufacturers and the big guys that can sell things for less than your time alone would cost in the chassis manufacturing. Then if they felt that what you were doing were good for them they would do it for 1/4 of just your time cost to build custom and saturate the market knocking you out.

Your best bet is to build for yourself and your friends if that is what you enjoy doing and not try to compete with the big dogs, because they can pee in taller grass then you can with there ability to have things made for less than you can make it yourself.
Old 01-14-2010, 05:14 PM
cumquat

ORIGINAL: dudecat

Not really sure. I have seen frames on ebay out of metal but to make mass production that i don't have an answer.
im not talking production. i would only do custom, 1 of a kind chassis'. but thanks for the reply.
Old 01-14-2010, 05:23 PM
cumquat

ORIGINAL: GmanBill

Actually as saturated as the market is right now with aftermarket and knockoff parts being so cheap your market is not strong enough to support your time and cost. Now if the market were a little stronger I would see it, but if you look close the little guy is going out of business daily because they can not compete with China manufacturers and the big guys that can sell things for less than your time alone would cost in the chassis manufacturing. Then if they felt that what you were doing were good for them they would do it for 1/4 of just your time cost to build custom and saturate the market knocking you out.

Your best bet is to build for yourself and your friends if that is what you enjoy doing and not try to compete with the big dogs, because they can pee in taller grass then you can with there ability to have things made for less than you can make it yourself.
thanks for the reply. i get what you are saying but i doubt traxxas, ae, axial, etc. could compete with what i am capable and willing to charge. i was thinking that most of the orders that dont require more than a sq. ft. of 16 guage sheet metal, 2 sq. ft. of 22-28 guage sheet betal and 24 ft. of rod (1/8, 3/16, 1/4) would sell for $100. my time is not very valuable. i should mention that i am 16 and i am "home schooled", wich means that most of the time that i am awake i can be building chassis in my workshop.