Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Lexan Shell RESPRAY Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 02:57 AM
sproyd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexan Shell RESPRAY Questions

So I recently bought my first RC kit - A TT01-E Nissan GTR kit... Its awesome but I made some mistakes when painting the body. I cleaned the inside of the body per the instructions but then thought I'd be Mr Genius and scrub the inside with a toothbrush and toothpaste to help the paint 'key' - this is what you generally do with model cars before you prime them so the paint grips better. However, the problem here is you can't prime RC shells seeing as the first coat is the visible coat. Of course as you might imagine the toothbrush scratched the inside of teh shell which was in turn visible on the outside. No problem - I used some Meguiar's plastic polish to buff out the scratched BUT textbook error - I was too lazy to then properly wash off the remaining meguiar's and as you guessed it the paintwork didn't grip properly to the lexan. Although I managed to layer it up so the visible paint job was above par whenever my car gets a slight bump the paint just flakes right off the inside leading to a TRULY shocking looking Nissan GTR paintjob.

So... what I want to do (and I know its tempting to just get a new body seeing as this one is now a basher) is respray the thing. What can people advise in terms of removing the paint and cleaning the inside of the shell AND is it possible to reorder the Tamiya masking sheet for a respray so I can still use the lighting setup or is that a tall order? Has anyone done this or is it not really going to be feasible?

Yes I will just get a looker body soon (maybe an S15) but want to have my basher GTR not looking as ghastly as it currently looks with flaking paint and an almost clear front end...

- from an optimistic GTR fan!<br type="_moz" />
Old 01-20-2010, 03:21 AM
On2_n_On4

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Lexan Shell RESPRAY Questions

brake fluid
Old 01-20-2010, 03:27 AM
On2_n_On4

check out this thread and the how to video.

http://www.hpibajaforum.com/forum/sh...ht=brake+fluid
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eP-3lP5OD8[/youtube]
Old 01-20-2010, 03:36 AM
sproyd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sweet - what about being able to get another sheet of car specific Tamiya Masking?
Old 01-20-2010, 03:52 AM
On2_n_On4

that, I have no idea
you will have to wait for the tamiya guys here to answer that-1

you could just use blue masking tape, the one used in body shops like 3M, Scotch etc...
it will take a little longer.... but faster than shipping
Old 01-20-2010, 09:11 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

If you used Parma paint you can use rubbing alcohol to strip it