Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Tail wheel doors, how to get them to close?

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Tail wheel doors, how to get them to close?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2002, 04:22 PM
lov2flyrc
My Feedback: (24)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tail wheel doors, how to get them to close?

I have a World Models P-51 tat I have added a Robart retractable tailwheel to. I am having problems getting the doors to close correctly with the wheel. I used Sonic Tronic ofset hinges for the doors, any suggestions on how to get them to close properly??

TIA,
Todd
Old 04-04-2002, 05:43 AM
mselby
My Feedback: (1)

Todd, your question is a bit unclear are you having trouble with the fit due to hinging, or the mechanical side of a snug close when the wheel is in?
Mike
Old 04-04-2002, 02:19 PM
lov2flyrc

Sorry Mike,
Should have explained it better. As I said, I'm using a robart retratable tail wheel. I spent a few hours trying diffrent ways of pulling the doors closed with the retract and cant get it to work properly. Either the door does not close all the way (open a 1/4") or the doors hit the wheel as they are closing, if I remove the wheel from the retract they close perfect. There must be a correct geometry to this but I cant see to figure it out. Any suggestions?
TIA Todd
Old 04-04-2002, 04:20 PM
Herb-RCU

Todd,

Do you think that you could post a picture of what you have so far? I'm going to be doing the same thing here soon and I would like to not have to start from scratch. I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
Herb
Old 04-09-2002, 03:30 PM
lov2flyrc

Herb,
Will try to take some pics tonight....
Todd
Old 04-10-2002, 01:44 AM
Vince

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most common method is a paddle mounted below the tailwheel bracket, located in such a way that the wheel contacts it when retracting and pulls it down. Attached to this paddle are two pieces of linkage that connect to the two tail wheel doors. Use ball sockets on the linkage to allow for adjustability. Also you must spring load the paddle so that it springs up when the wheel starts to extend, and pushes the doors open. This is the method I use on my P47 and it works exceptionally well and is very durable.

Vince
Old 04-10-2002, 05:16 AM
mselby

the most accurate method, although not hassle free is a pair of small air rams. They can be adjusted for a good door close, and valve controlled to allow opening and closing without fouling the wheel. I assume on a manual close there is adequate clearance with the wheel in. The paddle method on the yellow p47 works well but is not always accurate on door close fit. Wayne Siewart uses a capture spring between the two doors on his P47. It works but needs fairly frequent fiddling.
Mike
Old 04-16-2002, 06:10 PM
mmorg1
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default cheap simple fix

A simple and cheap way to close the doors is to install a small rubberband between the door halfs about 1/3 the way from the hinge point. as the gear goes in it will pull the doors shut behind it. to hold them open a small set of arms attached to the tailwheel strut will hold the doors open. BTW remember that the tailwheel on a P-51 retract forward not to the rear.