Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

JR and Microsoft should merge

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 09:25 AM
warbird_1
My Feedback: (61)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default JR and Microsoft should merge

i have a 12x that i just got a few mouths ago. i am running win 7 64 bit . i just went 64 bit in oct. A friend was trying to use his data safe with win 7 64 bit when he found out they have no 64 bit driver for vista or win 7 running 64 bit. so i got checking my situation and found out the same is true for the 12x software. i'm thinking ,how hard can it be to make a 64 bit driver ? why must we beg JR to release a driver ? Now u know why so many people hate microsoft !!
Old 02-17-2010, 10:12 AM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: JR and Microsoft should merge

Actually, it was the PC Data Transfer software. The Datasafe was an older program that just allowed you to store Model Memories on the PC, but you could not Edit or Print them. Horizon says that JR has not released a Windows 7 64bit USB driver and I will have to wait until they do. From other threads, I found that Theysen makes a Windows 7 64bit USB driver that is in Demo format. This means it is free to download and Install, but you have to Reboot the PC every 4 hours to re-enable it. If they can make a driver that works then JR should be able to come up with one or License it from them.

Most new PC's now come with Windows 7 64bit.

JR - Get on the stick!!!!
Old 02-17-2010, 10:44 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts

Ya know what's even worse about the driver situation?

The driver actually works and the only issue with it is that it doesn't have a digital signature and thus the driver signature enforcement provisions of the 64 bit Windows OS's won't run it. You can also run this program by disabling driver signing enforcement at boot up, but then it finds the driver again when you reboot normally.

The driver is actually dated December of 1995, you'd think JR could get something done without much effort but I've been told by some more computer savvy guys I know that getting Microsoft to sign off on something can be a real project. So who knows what's going on, but it shouldn't happen....
Old 02-17-2010, 10:57 AM
warbird_1

like selling you an '09 radio with windows'95 software . just to lazy to get it right the first time. after all the radio only cost 1,400 bucks . what do you expect ?
Old 02-17-2010, 11:10 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts

The question is; what's it gonna take to get a fix?

My 12X was in the first shipment Horizon got and I know I've been bugging them about every two months about a fix and I'm sure other users of not only the 12X, but the software for the X-9303's are complaining as well.

It really bugs me that Castle Creations for their ESC's and FMA for their chargers, can put out software which runs on the 64 bit Win OS's even though they are much smaller companies, but JR can't seem to do it. Maybe all their time is going into the new 11X Zero?????
Old 02-17-2010, 11:28 AM
warbird_1

i wonder how futaba is doing with their software? if the quality is going down then maybe it's time to think about moving on. it seems like they have been riding on their good name to long and now it's starting to tarnish a bit. i love my 12x but it's only good if the company is keeping up with trends and needs of the consumer. in this case they have not . JR i hope your listening .
Old 02-17-2010, 11:33 AM
warbird_1

one other thing that really bothers me about the 12x too is the fact that they provide no rubber plug to cap off the antenna hole that's in the side of the case. after all it's still the 10x aluminum case . i can look in it and see wires and circuit boards . i worry about a stray metallic object finding it's way in there by accident. maybe i'm getting paranoid.
Old 02-17-2010, 11:46 AM
P47 Jug - Al
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with most on this thread and would suggest that JR owners call horizon and ask about Win 7 - 64 bit drivers. That's actually on my list of things to do today... I got a brand new 12X and this past weekend found out it's not compatible with win 7-64 bit. Was I shocked, a $1000 plus radio and NO usable driver for win 7–64 bit. I also don't like JR’s manual, poorly written and not complete. That’s another story though.

I certainly don't blame Mister Softy since the driver signing and all that is to increase the overall quality of windows. As a former system architect, I know there are software engineers out there whose code will cause windows to blow-up and the user blames MS. And when you write driver code, you are very close to the OS.

I personally would have preferred that JR have a removable memory card. If that was the case, we would not be having this conversation now for many third party vendors make memory card readers. Unfortunately when using USB, there are unique numbers associated with usb devices and therefore individual usb device manufactures have to keep up with their interface to windows or apple or whatever.

I did find a driver that someone else mentioned and it appears to work as described in this thread. The URL is: http://www.thesycon.de/eng/usbio.shtml Use at your own risk and certainly don’t blame me.
It’s really intended for software developers and installs a lot of non useful stuff for those that just want the driver. It also asks some questions that may be difficult for some to answer. Maybe there is also a better place to get a driver than above too… maybe I messed up…. Won’t be the first time.

I still plan to call Horizon/JR though, you should too.
Old 02-17-2010, 12:03 PM
warbird_1

good post , good points
Old 02-17-2010, 02:25 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.thesycon.de/eng/usbio.shtml#demo