Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Covering tips and advice

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Covering tips and advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 09:39 PM
Neuhausr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Covering tips and advice

I am building a pt-19 and have just about completed the tail feathers. They are shaped and sanded and slotted for the heavy duty Dubro hinges I am using.
The plans call for Super Coverite so I will probably go with that.
As I think about covering these tail feathers I have come to the realization that I could install the hinges now and cover later or cover now and install the hinges later. I think there are pros and cons to each. As a fairly new builder I could sure use some advice on how to approach this.
thanks in advance.
Old 11-15-2009, 11:02 PM
Aerobatx
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Covering tips and advice

If your using the cloth type of covering, you can intsall the hinges whenever you want, .

I have covered wings and tailfeathers after with one piece of covering. Just make sure you cut it a little larger than needed.

After you tack i down the stabilizer and you get to the point where you've got it sealed around the part, flex the hinged piece as far as possible. If your doing the bottom of the stab 1st (like u shood) raaise the elevators all the way in up position. At the hingeline use the point of your iron, getting it attached into the gaps covering the edges like it wasn't hingesd. Then go around the part as you normally would tacking at the edges and 1/2ing the distance between the tacks each time.

You need to give the gap area some special attention, making sure there there no wrinkles you can just finish like normal.
Old 11-15-2009, 11:05 PM
ro347
My Feedback: (13)

I think it would be easier, with better results to cover first, then hinge as you would an arf. Just my opinion.
Old 11-16-2009, 10:20 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

MUCH easier to cover first, then hinge
Old 11-16-2009, 05:32 PM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MUCH easier to cover first, then hinge
I will second that. Cover the bottom first then the top, the edges will not show as much. seal the edges with some clearcoat and then hinge. If possible cover BEFORE you fit the tail feathers to the fuselage.
Old 11-17-2009, 01:09 PM
jaka

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi!
It's much easier to cover first!!! In fact it's the only way if you want a decent covering! And...Do not use Coverite!! It's a thing of the passed! Use Oratex or Solartex...much better!!!
Old 03-13-2010, 06:04 PM
dtigert57

Im covering with fabric for the first time. Using koverall. What to do?