Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Monokote for Graphics? Maybe not.

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Monokote for Graphics? Maybe not.

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 06:45 AM
Avaiojet

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Monokote for Graphics? Maybe not.

Monokote for Graphicxs and lettering? Maybe not.

There's a great thread about the use of Monokote for this purpose. The Thread inspired me to reiterate some of which I've already mentioned in Threads before, or in the past. Threads do die out or go unnoticed.

I decided to start a new Thread, on the subject of making "elements," graphicxs if you will, using Monokote. Or in this case, NOT using Monokote.

Because my approach to "do it yourself" graphicxs and lettering, is a bit different and described without the use of Monokote, it wouldn't be fare to place this approach in that particular Monokote Thread.

Also, This Thread isn't designed in any way, to "convert" those individuals, that use Monokote or any other iron-on material, for the use of art, images, graphicxs, or lettering as applied to their models.

Just another "view."

I took a look at that Video on Monokote application for "images."

Great idea.

HOWEVER, there's 5,678 guys doing model airplane graphicxs.
Unfortunately, or fortunately, I happen to be one of them. [sm=bananahead.gif]

There's also, probably 200,000 Sign shops scattered about all over the Country, in large city's and small towns.

These guys can be thought of and are assets!

So why re-invent the wheel? That is, why use Monokote for "busy" or "complicated" images when it wasn't designed for that? There's material available, in the industry, which is used just for that applied purpose. Vinyl? And it's so easy to work with.

Stuff comes in 60 or more colors, is already "backed" with an adhesive and designed with a "layer" for "weeding."

It's also easier to cut with a #11 blade than iron-on material. There's also real "Transfer" paper, which is designed to do just that. To TRANSFER images!

I've been in the Sign business for 40 years, but yes, I did images and lettering with Monokote long before I got my cutting equipment. Way back then, before my Monokote days, they, the industry, 3M actually, offered sheets of vinyl material. This stuff was 20" X 27" in size, came in primary colors only. This 3M material looked, felt and was the same stuff/vinyl, used today, which is now available in rolls. We had no cutters back then! We used a blade or scissors to cut the stuff.

About that Monokote video. Now don't get me wrong, but here's the thing, IMHO, Yes, great video, and it's fun to do, but using Monokote for images or lettering is really more work than necessary, not to mention, you still have to buy that extra stuff. Stuff that's not designed or manufactured for this purpose of use.

This is "Key." Your local Sign Shop will "give" you, for "free," yes, I said free, all the "scrap" vinyl you can carry away. And then some! In fact, once they know you want it, it takes no effort for them to save the scrap. You would be surprised at how much vinyl that actually gets tossed each and every day. Like peanut shells on the bar room floor.

I give or send my scraps away. Some of the stuff is long or large and great for images even on wings.

The stuff is there for the asking and taking. Simply go to your local Sign Shop and ask for their scraps. Every model Club has 50 members that have a cutter. Well maybe not 50, but there's certainly one or two. There's always a modeler who has a Sign Shop also. That's why we do model graphicxs. Yea, yea, some do it just for the money, obviously, and you can tell by the look of their truly "commercial" websites AND their approach to business. Nothing wrong with that. I'll say it again, Nothing wrong with that.

BUT. The local Sign Shop, I'm referring to the guy that's not a modeler BTW, the guy who does not do model airplane graphicxs, will "Give You Their Extra Vinyl." Absolutely! Even short rolls of transfer paper!

OK! Now you have all the vinyl you need. Same method as that great informative video, but your now working with, IMHO, a better choice of material, which is designed and produced for this purpose.

I started this Thread, about what I just mentioned. You may want to take a look.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_84...tm.htm#8462647

Sure, cover your models in Monokote or any other Iron-on material. Sure, use the same material for large accent areas. Works well, looks great!.

But. Just consider, using vinyl for small images and lettering. Consider?

Here's one last note that will probably take a paragraph to explain. Scanning good useable art is easy, only takes a minute or two. I don't even charge for it. Cutters are fast, really fast. So you would be surprised, as to how inexpensive some graphics or lettering can be, or maybe I should say should be.

You got 5,678 guys doing model airplane graphicxs, just kidding, but there's certainly a bunch. So shop around for price and personality. Personality is key.

I know I participate and offer whatever I can, information or material, to help modelers save time, money and to avoid the cost of this stuff.

Sound crazy? Am I crazy? Yes, Yes I am. I will always be a modeler first and a poor businessman last. That's just the way it is.

I won't even plug my website. I'm actually embarrassed by it. It's old, like me, certainly out dated and it doesn't even tell the whole story of what I offer. Does any graphicxs guy's website tell the whole story? And there are some nice ones for sure!

OK! Please take a look at the Thread I started, see link, above. It's actually about modifying the look of a great Hanger 9 Corsair using simple vinyl techniques and vinyl materials. Materials made, designed and produced for this purpose.

Hats off for those individuals that do this with Monokote. Hats off to graphicxs guys. Especially those that are modelers.

Here's my Monokote covered Waco.

Hand cut vinyl letters on top of the wing and machine/plotter cut small lettering in other areas like my AMA #. The red "4" is layered over a larger white 4, to give the outline. White lines are vinyl cut to width and length. Cowling and struts are painted. Flying wire equipped. Windshield frame is 1/32 ply with a glass cloth layer. Sports a full Pica cockpit and a leather seat. Covered this model many years ago.

Monokote rules!

Charles

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70258.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	1381577   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ea84616.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	1381578  
Old 02-18-2010, 07:42 AM
2 Piece
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Monokote for Graphics? Maybe not.

Nice thread Charles, but I would add that vinyl sign shops are droping fast due to the economy. I would also say that the exsisting shops are becoming more reluctant to give away free scraps. The reason being "cricuteers". Modelers are not the only people looking for scraps, the Cricut people out there are also hitting up the shops for the scraps. And to some degree the cricuiteers are taking business away from the sign shops, and the sign shops know this, so they are not always willing to give thier scraps away for free. I am sure there made be some shops that will give scraps away for free as long as they have some scraps left after all the cricuteers have been asking for the same scraps.
Is it worth asking a sign shop for free scraps? Yes, but be prepared for the No that may follow or at least a small charge for the scraps.
Gary
Old 02-18-2010, 08:49 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 362 Likes on 291 Posts

I'm neither a crcuteer or sign shop. I've got a good cutter and do custom work for the clubs here and some friends.

I went to two of the local sign shops in an attempt to BUY a foot x 24" of an off color that I didn't feel like ordering a 10 yard roll of to make an N number for a buddy of mine. They wanted 6 dollars per foot! That and they didn't even want to SELL it to me until I explained why I needed it. Even at my cost, which I'm sure is higher than theirs due to the small quanities I buy, its like 53 cents a foot.

A scrap would have worked, I was prepared to pay a buck or two for them to pull it off the roll and cut it off. 6 bucks? Told them no thanks.
Old 02-18-2010, 11:59 AM
Avaiojet

Yes, a down side, I know the Craft people hit the Sign Shops up for scraps. And yes, as I said, some "guys" are just all business, if so, just walk away from that guy. There are plenty others to ask. Plenty others.

Without looking it up, I believe I pay just over 100.00 for a 30" X 50 yd, roll of white, and about 17.00 to 24.00 for a 15" x 10 yd, roll of the colors. That's not a lot of $$.

I generally purchase production stuff in 24" rolls. Keep in mind, my business is built around vehicles, trailers stuff like that.

The smaller stuff I purchase is just for the small amount of model graphicxs I do. I'm not the "headliner" when it comes to model graphicxs. Like I said, my website is a turn off, and hardly speaks of my abilities, I think those that look just move on to a more attractive website. I do however, have a great bunch of guys that I work with. They are all great.

Maybe one day I'll get my site fixed. [sm=bananahead.gif]

Look, do my hints, suggestions and ideas, take business away, absolutely, but so be it. As I said, I am a modeler.

Read the above, check out that link, and visit sign shops for scraps. I'm sure you'll have good experiences with some individuals.

And guess what? You'll have fun working with material that's designed for this use, you'll save money and have better looking models. The best thing is, you're doing a lot of it all buy yourself.

Can't beat that!

Charles

This scheme is not made up, it exists.

Name:	Ec87487.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	1381703   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43057.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	1381704  
Old 02-19-2010, 09:34 AM
2 Piece
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Once again, nice post but I might add that flee bay maybe a viable option for many modelers. You can find many rolls of vinyl at reasonable prices it you take the time to look around.
Gary
Old 02-19-2010, 06:58 PM
stevenmax50
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will your technique work on a fabric and paint covered model?</p>
Old 02-19-2010, 10:47 PM
Avaiojet

Will your technique work on a fabric and paint covered model?
Steve,

This isn't my technique. It's just what it is! Vinyl markings placed on model airplanes.

To answer your question, Yes.

I have painted fabric covering and applied vinyl with success. I have provided many WW I markings to modelers with built up models. In most cases I have no idea as to what they use for covering?

No one has ever contacted me with an issue. If you would like "test" material, just to be sure, I will be glad to send some out to you.

My markings on built up models.

Name:	Rp44242.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	1382768   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa86386.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	10.2 KB
ID:	1382769   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv55465.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	1382770  
Old 02-20-2010, 09:30 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 362 Likes on 291 Posts

They look good. Here's a couple of mine..

Name:	da83376.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	587.1 KB
ID:	1382977   Click image for larger version

Name:	to43500.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	517.6 KB
ID:	1382978  
Old 02-22-2010, 10:35 AM
Avaiojet

Great looking models, especially the "yellow."

No interest in pilots?

Charles
Old 03-01-2010, 09:35 PM
stevenmax50

Finally talked with the sign shop guys in my building.  Yes, I can come down there and get all the scraps I want.  "Take the whole box"  was his response.  I'm gonna go there tomorrow and see what is available.  I see them out in the parking lot all the time sticking this stuff to cop cars, trucks, etc. etc..  It makes sense now.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:16 AM
Avaiojet

Finally talked with the sign shop guys in my building. Yes, I can come down there and get all the scraps I want. "Take the whole box" was his response.
Steve,

Good for you.

But haven't I been saying that all along?

You will also need transfer paper. They will give you short rolls of transfer paper also. They don't fiddle with short rolls.

Let us know what you score?

Charles
Old 03-02-2010, 11:29 PM
stevenmax50

Sure will. Thanks for the heads up. I'll go by there tomorrow and see what they have.
HaHaHa. Just realized I already said the tomorrow thing. OK.....I'll get there as soon as Ican. Better?
Old 03-04-2010, 12:55 PM
stevenmax50

I just picked up some scrap (for FREE) from Tom, my sign shop owner.  This stuff looks like it may work extremly well.  He has all his scrap on the floor under a 12 foot table.  He said take all I want.  I just grabbed a sheet of white and blue, about 2 ft square.  I was thinking of doing an American flag scheme on my Tiger.  Now I think I know how to make the stars!
Thanks for starting this thread.  I ve just added a new technique to knowledge base.  I will have pics in my Tiger 60 build thread in the Kit Building forum.  It will still be a few weeks before I get to that point, but they will be there. 
Old 03-13-2010, 11:19 PM
justin_92_92
My Feedback: (2)

I bought a cutter for my hobby needs as well, And also for our store. It makes it nice to do some wierd stuff you wouldnt want to ask a shop. To me its a another hobby. But I dont do it for public stuff. I let the local sign folks do that stuff. Just friends and family if they want. I throw away scraps now...too many little pieces laying around.