Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

UAT Installation Orientation

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems
View Poll Results: A poll
45 degrees
69.52%
Vertical
14.29%
Horizontal
12.38%
Ditch the UAT - waste of money
3.81%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

UAT Installation Orientation

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 02:25 PM
gruntled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: UAT Installation Orientation

When I was installing my UAT, I asked Bruce Hansen (who makes the Hansen SuperTrap) if it matters between 45 degrees and vertical. He said it makes no difference.
Old 03-17-2010, 02:27 PM
jason
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mike

Using a filter clunk AND a UAT can't be a good thing and I really don't think many people would do it. Most would use normal metal clunks with an in-line filter between the pump and engine. But let’s just say some did, surely fuelling a UAT equipped plane through the main tank can't be the right way to do it, this wont purge any air trapped in the UAT from the previous run or will it??

Jason
Old 03-17-2010, 02:55 PM
Duncan

Jase, how common were flameouts before UAT's were invented?? [&:]
Old 03-17-2010, 03:10 PM
jason
My Feedback: (1)

Dunc

The UAT must have stopped 99.999% of air in the fuel related flame-outs so about 90% of all flame-outs in total. As time went on we all learnt what caused the other 10% and now you can go to a meet and never see one.

J
Old 03-17-2010, 03:15 PM
ron Sweeney

Don't forget a lot of early turbine flyers used the plasma bag, Ron
Old 03-17-2010, 05:37 PM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As I said in my last post, once the Kero start tubine has purged the air out of the system to get any more air into the system you have an air leak, not nonesence just logic.

Mike
Old 03-17-2010, 08:10 PM
highhorse
My Feedback: (2)

Received 94 Likes on 50 Posts

OK, missed that part of ur 2nd post....BUT still....I dont accept your premise.

The air in the system might not be there from fueling OR an air leak, and there is nothing intrinsic in a kero start that somehow magically guarantees that any air in the system will be purged.

Just my opinion and pesonal experience....not trying to pick a fight, just respectfully disagreeing.

Peace.
Old 03-18-2010, 03:47 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

highhorse

Thank you for your well manered post, unlike some, unfortunatly from my side of the pond, maners seem to be something that is lacking in a few jet modelers on here.

I respect everyone's right to an opinion no matter how diverse from mine it is, as long as it is experessed in a polite way.

I do belive that the UAT has been the saviour of many a bad installation in the past, where zip ties had been used instead of wire ties and other no no's, but if others would try using a good fabric and felt or other fine mesh filter the amount of bubbles in the air line is minimal and the turbines that are being produced now have such better burn charateristics that bubbles do not seem to effect them as much as in the past, its a simple matter to put a turbine on a test stand and just watch what happens, you may be supprised, or there again maybe not.

Huskvana (spelling) make an in tank clunk that has a plastic outer cage with a fabric membrane and a hard white fine filter block inside this (unable to determine what the block is made from) and again this seems not to allow air into the fuel line from the fuel tank even if the clunk is half out of the fuel, the nice thing about this clunk is that it can be taken apart for cleaning.

Mike
Old 03-18-2010, 04:27 AM
Dave Wilshere

Received 745 Likes on 539 Posts

The "Orbit" chainsaw clunk gave me years of perfect use, but anything over a 120 seems to run into problems. We have not sold or had stock for a few months. I tend to use the felt clunks now, de-fluff/dust them before use and have not had a problem.
UAT I prefer 45 degrees, but my Bobcat has a vertical mounted one and that has been perfect with 80 and 120 turbines installed.
The mounting is only critical for filling...as said. The reason we stocked the MAP version is it doesn't care how it's mounted, so we sell this for installs where the hopper has to be horizontal. I even have a guywith it mounted on its side! Their large nipple version for 160+ turbines is ideal for this sort of situation, so the P200SX's we have sold are including this hopper tank as std.
No turbines I've run accept bubbles...our Hawk 100R flames out with bubbles caused by a faulty pump.

Problems are caused by filling pump flow rates, some fuel station set-ups pump in bubbles at high rates, with a UAT mounted horizontal you can angle the model for the first fill and as long as you don't drain the UAT and fill too fast it will work fine.

Dave Wilshere

pix added 19-3
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19266.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	393.0 KB
ID:	1400486