Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Break-in

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2003, 02:32 PM
DaHoboFest

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Break-in

Can Some on give me instructions on how to break in my engine like what to do with the 1st tank then 2nd tank etc.?
Old 07-16-2003, 02:37 PM
rc10gtplusR2R

Default Break-in

take your time
Old 07-16-2003, 02:38 PM
DaHoboFest

Default or link

You can also give me a link to a website that iwll tell me
Old 07-16-2003, 02:44 PM
NitroFreak

Default Break-in

It really depends on the engine. For my HPI I had to let it idle to about 3 tanks then I ran it slow for another three (Then engine is now 3 years old and runs like a champ) for my T-MAXX you have to drive the engine because it needs the air flow.

You can however usually just drive the car slow NEVER give it full throttle until the 5th tank. Smooth acceleration is very important.

Also use the same fuel to break it in that you plan to run. I use %20 nitro
Old 07-16-2003, 02:44 PM
rc10gtplusR2R

Default Break-in

sorry don't know one but i have to say is that is not that hard and if you don't think you can go out and buy u a movie to your truck what is type of car you got
Old 07-16-2003, 02:50 PM
DaHoboFest

Default I got

I have an HPI Rs4 3 SS tpye
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	94289_41517.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	54108  
Old 07-16-2003, 02:52 PM
rc10gtplusR2R

Default Break-in

that is a nice car but sorry i dont know that much about hpi i know it is a good car but i dont know if there is something different about the break in sorry but if you getting it new it might have a movie
Old 07-17-2003, 01:50 AM
renne321

Default Break-in

Set the car on a stand so the wheels are off the ground and not coming into contact with anything so they can spin. Start the engine and let it idle on the stand for 3-4 tanks. Then run the car slow off the stand for 3-4 tanks. After that run the car normal but don't give it full throttle for another 2 tanks. I followed this process for my HPI .15 FE and it lasted me 3 years, and around 5 gallons. It still ran strong but I decided to use the engine exchange program to get a new HPI .15 SS. If you do and take care of your engine it will last a very long time.
If you have any questions PM me and I'll get back to you.
GOOD LUCK!!
Old 07-17-2003, 01:55 AM
jsswcks

Default Break-in

mak sure your needle setting 3to3 1/2 out for the first 4tanks.
Old 07-17-2003, 02:13 AM
packfan88
My Feedback: (2)

Default Break-in

it took you 3 years to go through 5 gallons? ive had my engine about a month and im though a gallon.

there are many ways people can tell you to break in an engine.

some suggest the idle 3-5 tanks, some say just idle 1-2 and then drive it.

this is what happens to an engine when you break it in.

the engine is like a brand new baseball glove. tight and tough to move.
you have to #1 get the engine lubed..... and "worn" like a glove. so it has a pattern for the piston to go up and down inside the cylinder.
here is where it gets tricky, cause the old standbye method is to allow it to make its groves with out any serious pressure.
the newer method says, your gonna beat on it, so whny not break it in that way. i dont mean full throttle on tank one, but alllow it to get hot enough to get used to the way it will be run.

id say just follow your manual since thats what they suggest.
Old 07-17-2003, 02:26 AM
dbow
My Feedback: (1)

Default Engine Break in

We could go on and on all day about engine break in. There are basically 2 sides of the story. Some say to let the engine idle a few tanks through before starting to drive it.
I have been in the hobby for quite a few years and the above was the only procedure that was out there for a long time. Some of the manufacturers would recommend the same process at the time.

THe other side is that some people feel that letting the engine idle for break in does not get it up to operating temperature and thus will damage the engine and reduce life.

Which is the correct way?

Well lots of people have said they have had engines last for long lengths of time with the idle break in procedure. Also much success with running the engine a little hotter for break in.

My experience from the past has always been good with letting a couple of tanks idle through. My last MT-12 had like 4 gallons through it before I sold it. The buyer felt it still had quite a bit of power and compression. I tested it with a gauge as well and it had not dropped very much from when it was new.

I have also had success with letting engines run a little hotter on break in. So my advice would be to follow what you think is best based on what you read and/or contact the manufacturer and see what they suggest for your break in.

Dbow
Old 07-17-2003, 02:40 AM
rc10gtplusR2R

Default Break-in

i had a movie on Breaking in my car but i dont have it no more and i have a new os 15 cv-x and i was wordering is there something different i sould know before i start to work on my car and if one of you have a movie online i can get or know where i could get one thank you
Old 07-17-2003, 10:53 AM
evollace

Default Break-in

check this page,lots of good info for newbie and "pro" alike

http://www.parisracing.com/engine_tu...coversheet.htm
Old 07-17-2003, 01:32 PM
renne321

Default Break-in

[QUOTE]Originally posted by packfan88
[B]it took you 3 years to go through 5 gallons?

I had a break were I didnt run it for about a year and just let it sit in the garage, and plus I am still on H.S. so sports take up alot of my time.
Old 07-17-2003, 02:46 PM
gmac4826

Default Break-in

jsut so you know, thats a pic of an rtr 3