Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Need to make my Savage faster.

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 11:34 PM
HPI_Savage_RC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Need to make my Savage faster.

The easiest way to increase power is to increase the energy density of the fuel (High fuel energy density is why these tiny engines perform so well in the first place). Try 40% nitro; the engine will be fine as long as you lower the compression ratio by adding head shims. If you don't, the fuel mixture will likely undergo DDT, which will turn the piston into shrapnel.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:32 AM
head_hunter

If your buddy only bought the standard 3-speed there is an optional high end 3-speed that would give you the edge also.
Old 04-05-2010, 03:27 PM
llkoolskillet

I run 17/52 gears on my XL with LRP 30, 3 speed and 086 pipe, BP diffs, tires i use are Hpi Goliaths, terra pins, HB phycho, HB slayer, HB quake. All run just fine and the truck wheelies on demand! I use Odonnels 30% with McCoy 59 plug. I prefer the 3 speed over the 2 speed. I have heard that the 2 speed is alot more durable tho. When i get my Modded Picco 28 broke in my X with BP diffs not sure on the spur gear tho think it might be a 47t or 49t w 17t cb. Ill race the two trucks and see how they differ. Obviously the Picco will win but i want to see how well my setup for the LRP will run against it. After that ill relay my findings!
Old 04-06-2010, 11:43 AM
quietnas1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: llkoolskillet

I run 17/52 gears on my XL with LRP 30, 3 speed and 086 pipe, BP diffs, tires i use are Hpi Goliaths, terra pins, HB phycho, HB slayer, HB quake. All run just fine and the truck wheelies on demand! I use Odonnels 30% with McCoy 59 plug. I prefer the 3 speed over the 2 speed. I have heard that the 2 speed is alot more durable tho. When i get my Modded Picco 28 broke in my X with BP diffs not sure on the spur gear tho think it might be a 47t or 49t w 17t cb. Ill race the two trucks and see how they differ. Obviously the Picco will win but i want to see how well my setup for the LRP will run against it. After that ill relay my findings!
Thanks for the info skillet. I never really intended for the Savage to be a speed machine I have my Jato for that but I just have to showymy buddy out. Hopefully his tune will be a little off. When I was showing him how to tune his engine he had this dumfounded look on his face.

Really got me thinking about the 3 speed now. I found a great article on engine porting from RC CAR ACTION so I think I will try it on my older engines first that I don't use anymore and will post some pics this weekend to get some feed back. I don't want to mess with the timing though at all. Not just yet.
Old 04-06-2010, 06:13 PM
steed2-inactive

heres the fastest and easiest way to beat your buddy.....remove the spring spacers and one spring at each wheel....run both shocks for high dampening.......he will never catch you as it takes a good finger to get good off the line acceleration with a savage at factory ride height.....lmao....the difference between the 2 and three speed is minimal as far as what you will notice.....these trucks are a hand full stock and if your anything like me and my buddy we have a hard time keeping these things straight at 40 mph little lone leave the line at the same time...but if you lower it you can pretty much smash it right out of the hole.....my bro had a worn out revo 3.3 ( i know they are pretty quick but his was burnt out at the time) which i could chase down pretty easily but in a race that tired out 3.3 would get me every time as he just had to floor it and focus on steering were as i had to try to keep the front end down.

then again even lowered if theres just a tad bit of sand on the ashfalt good luck keeping it straight and if your hooking up really well it will still flip ....allthough you will still have quite an advantage ....just try it ...takes 5 min you will not believe the difference!scott
Old 04-07-2010, 03:39 PM
quietnas1

So here is the practice engine I used. It is a 8yr old OS .15CVRX. Tell me what you guys think. Did I go to aggresive? Hopefully I put new life in this thing. If not then oh well it wasn't being used any way.Sorry for the poor pics I was using my phone to take them

Old 04-07-2010, 04:24 PM
rcnitrohead

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks good, your all set for the 4.1 [8D]
Old 04-07-2010, 06:03 PM
quietnas1

So its not to crazy right? I'm gonna do the.12 next and see how it turns out.
Old 04-08-2010, 12:45 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

Nas, upgrade to an 053 pipe and retune.

There ya go.
Old 04-08-2010, 12:51 AM
rcnitrohead

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just get some NOS lol...
Old 04-08-2010, 12:18 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

Yeah, two of em.

The big ones.

You need them by tonight.
Old 04-08-2010, 12:51 PM
purenitro33

If you haven't cut the inside of the ports, I wouldn't recommend it. That sleeve has the "bi-metal" lining (nickle plating) as you can see the entire sleeve was plated, this is because the plating doesn't stick as well as chrome and will lift right off if run lean. Just a little heads up.
Old 04-08-2010, 01:00 PM
quietnas1

Lol no NOS for me. I run all motor. As far as doing the inside of the port the answer is no I did not touch the inside. Just found out though that I should not have touched the exhaust port. I got it confused with the boost port. Any other pointers purenitro before I practice on my .12?
Old 04-08-2010, 11:57 PM
purenitro33

Not sure what to tell you, looks like you have learned from your first try. Go slow and re-think every cut and possible negative effects it may create. Basically keep trying and posting pics, the guys who know what they are doing will point out any mistakes if there are any. Happy grinding.
Old 04-09-2010, 06:22 AM
quietnas1

Ok cool thanka for all the info I really appreciate it.