Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Duratrax 5000mah???

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 10:04 PM
Kalani938

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Duratrax 5000mah???

Guys, I recently ordered a new Duratrax 5000mah Nihm battery pack for my Slash 4x4. I have the Onyx 240 charger and while charging the Duratrax 5000 for the first time Iplugged it up, started the charge and in less than 10 minutes it said it was done (end). I just thought that maybe it was sent charged so I put it in my truck and in less that 30 seconds it was dead. I brought it in, put it on the charger again and in about 10 minutes it did the same thing so Ijust hit start again and it allowed me to put about 3000 mah into total. Iran the battery and when I charged it again it won't take any more than 4200mah? My buddy just got two of these exact same batteries in today with his new Slash and they both charged to 5240mah's??? Why the heck is mine not taking any more than 4200 and why did it say it was charged when it wasn't? It's not the charger b/c it works fine with my other battery packs. I'm tempted to call Tower Hobbies in the morning and tell them to send me a new battery pack. What do yall think?
Old 04-22-2010, 10:23 PM
Willystylz

Default RE: Duratrax 5000mah???

was the battery very warm each time the charger said it was finished? I've always found with nimhs that when they start getting fairly warm they're about charged. Also with new nimhs, they do tend to false peak sometimes. I had this problem with a couple 5000mah packs from cheapbatterypacks and both batteries kept false peaking during their first charge. I ended up having to cycle them a few times and then never had a problem since.
Old 04-22-2010, 10:39 PM
Kalani938

Well I've ran it about 3 full cycles now and it still won't take more than 4200mah and I made sure today that it was ran down till it was dead and it still only took 4200.  I think it really opened my eyes when my buddy charged two brand new (exact same battery pack) ones and both of them took over 5200mah on their first charge.  Will Tower Hobbies take it back if I'm not happy with it even though I've used it?
Old 04-22-2010, 10:43 PM
Willystylz

was the pack warm when it said it was done?
Old 04-22-2010, 11:03 PM
samguan

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

most likely false peaking. Common problem with new NiMh packs. Try to charge it at like 1.5AMP, it should take in about 5000mAh.

my 4600mah nimh was only taking in 2000mah and the charger says it's full, but it's not. I just charge it at 1.5AMP and after couple cycles, it's back to normal now.