Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

turns on motors

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 10:35 AM
AXe Hound

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turns on motors

hi there i am not really new to this hobby just need to make sence of somthing.
i can never under stand what the turns are on my motors mean.i have a method R 19X2 turn moter and a hpi racing 55X1 turn motor which one is faster.
if any body can shed some light on this i would appreciate it THANKS.
Old 04-22-2010, 11:33 AM
Access

Default RE: turns on motors

The 55x1 is a crawler motor. Fewer turns generally means a faster motor, and generally for common racing motors brushed 1/10th scale you are looking at anywhere from 9 to 27 (stock). When you get up into the 40's or 50's those motors are for crawlers and similar applications.
Old 04-22-2010, 06:01 PM
qoisdhc oqina
My Feedback: (-1)

Its the number of times the brushes are wrapped around the thingy.(Dont remember exactly lol)
Higher turns=more torque
Lower turns equals higher rpm
Old 04-23-2010, 06:21 AM
klaymon

It's not "brushes wrapped around a thingy". The armature of the motor is the part that spins inside the can. There is wire wrapped around the armature creating a coil. The number of turns indicates how many times the wire is wrapped around the armature. A 55T means the wire is wrapped 55 times around the core of the armature. A turn number of 19x2 for example, means there are 2 separate wires wrapped 19 times around the armature. IIRC, a 19x2 will be faster than a 19x3. If Igot that particular part backwards, excuse me since I've been away from brushed motors for a long time. The brushes are the connection between the ESC and the commutator on the armature.

As already stated, motors with a lower turn/wind count are faster (19Tis faster than a 55T).
Old 04-23-2010, 03:21 PM
Access

The number after the x isn't so much the top speed but how harsh your acceleration is or how much punch you will have. I don't remember either if it's low numbers or higher numbers meaning more punch but it typically doesn't effect your top speed at all.
Old 04-23-2010, 03:36 PM
klaymon

Like I said, I haven't touched a brushed motor in a long time.  Some of my specs are rusty I'm sure.
Old 04-23-2010, 06:56 PM
mrbonez

wow haven't seen this(motor turns) conversation in a while heres some info on the topic copyed from here

Motors

More Turns(e.g. 13x2 or 14x3)
More runtime.
Less power, and smoother response.
Easy to drive.

Less Turns (e.g. 9x2 or 8x3)
Less runtime.
More power.
Harder to drive.

More Winds (e.g. 11x4 or 12x5)
Slightly more runtime.
Feels very smooth, has a nice powerband. Very useful on slippery tracks.
More top-end.

Less Winds (e.g. 12x1 or 11x2)
Slightly less runtime.
Feels very punchy, but has less top-end.

More Timing Advance (e.g. 6 to 8mm)
Less runtime.
More punch, and more top speed.
More wear on the comm and brushes.
Motor gets hotter.

Less Timing Advance (e.g. 4 to 6mm)
More runtime.
Easy on the comm and the brushes.
Less punch and top speed.

Stiffer Brush Springs
More power at low revs.
Slightly lower top speed because of increased friction.
Better for high currents and bumpy tracks.

Softer Brush Springs
More power at hight revs, but less punchy.
Higher top speed.
Good for low current draw.

TIP: You get slightly more punch and a slightly more efficient motor if you use a slightly stiffer brush spring on the + side.
The easiest way to do this is to hold one leg of the spring with pliers and gently bend the leg 5 to 10 degrees more.

Read more: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_49...#ixzz0lyFaez9R
Old 04-24-2010, 10:58 AM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As everyone else said... lower turns, more power. This term "turns" is no longer valid, back in the old days it was how many times the wire was wrapped around each arm of the comm. A 9 turn double (9x2) means two wires were wrapped around an arm of the comm 9 times... but again this is not how motors are classified nowadays. Now they are generally classified by how much power they put out on a dyno, motor technology has advanced so much that now the motors can actually tun thinner diameter wire with more turns and put out the same power as an old school 9 turn. Pull apart a new 9 or 10 turn and unwind the wire.. it will be around 20 turns. With a 55 turn, there is alot more wire for the electricity to have to run through... a motor is basically a resistor. Allow the motor to flow faster (less turns of thicker wire) and you will end up with more power.