Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

TME Smoke system - Need to reduce output

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

TME Smoke system - Need to reduce output

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 08:21 AM
DaddySam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TME Smoke system - Need to reduce output

I have the TME Smart Smoker on my 30% TT TOC Yak with a DLE 55. The problem I'm having is that even at it's lowest output it puts out more than I need. I will try a brass reducer, but I was wondering if the reducer should go between the pump output and the one way valve or the one way valve and the muffler?
Or if anybody has any other ideas I'd like to hear them.
Thanks
Sam
Old 04-19-2010, 09:53 AM
gboulton
My Feedback: (15)

Default RE: TME Smoke system - Need to reduce output

IME with numerous DIY systems, the reducer should reduce INPUT flow, not output.<div>
</div><div>The reason is that restricting output physically increases the current the pump will draw.  At best, if the pump's operating on its own battery, this reduces the life of the battery and number of "smoked flights" you can get out of a charge.  At worst, it damages components, or possibly even threatens the airplane if power is provided by the same source as the receiver or ignition.</div><div>
</div><div>Restricting the input side of the equation simply reduces the amount of fluid available to the pump, but doesn't make the pump work any harder to deliver it.</div><div>
</div><div>A brass reducer will work, but there's a simple DIY alternative as well, that as a giant scaler you PROBABLY have the stuff laying around to make.</div><div>
</div><div>Cut a roughly 1" cube of some sort of hardwood.</div><div>
</div><div>Drill a hole through one axis the same diameter as the OD of your smoke fluid supply line.</div><div>
</div><div>Drill a 1/4" hole perpendicular to that hole down to the initial hole.  Use a 1/4-20 steel bolt to cut threads.</div><div>
</div><div>Thread a Nylon 1/4-20 wing bolt, with the end sanded flat, into the block.</div><div>
</div><div>Run the smoke supply line through the 1st hole drilled.</div><div>
</div><div>The wing bolt can now be tightened or loosened to compress the supply line, and limit available smoke fluid.  A few minutes quick experimentation on the ground will let you set the flow to 'just enough for smoke".</div><div>
</div><div>Here's an example:</div><div>
</div><div>
</div>
Old 04-19-2010, 11:36 AM
sweetpea01
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does this pump have a program you can mix to throttle?

If not, why not just go to Hobby King and order a very cheap brushed motor ESC (they are $7.49 for a 30amp one) and then you can put it inline and mix the ESC to the throttle and all your problems will be solved.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:00 AM
DaddySam

The pump does have an adjustable rate, which I have mixed to the throttle. But even at it's lowest setting it still puts out more oil than I need. I'll try adjustable clap on the supply side and see what happens. Thanks for the input guys!
Sam
Old 04-21-2010, 12:22 PM
sweetpea01
My Feedback: (10)

You may have to clamp both sides of the line. The pump, though restricted on the input end may pool or save up fluid and still pump out large or uneven amounts.

Let us know your results.
Old 04-22-2010, 07:14 PM
P47Tbolt
My Feedback: (20)

What voltage are you running it on? 4.8v or 6.0v? You can use either one.
If you are running 6.0v,try a 4.8v pack which will slow the pump down,thus slow
the amount of fluid down,but still adjustable.Just a thought.
Old 04-24-2010, 09:31 AM
DaddySam

I'm running a 4.8 v pack. I asked on the TME forum and will try some of their suggestions. They dont' seem to think that I need t reducer unless I want less than 2 oz per minute. I'll try what they recommend and then post the results.
Sam
Old 05-09-2010, 07:55 PM
friedclutch

I also have a TME on my 30%. The "smart smoker". I have it running at 20 % and its a little too much but the smoke is awesome. The only problem I see with restricting the intake is that now it's going to be a task to get it primed. I would just restrict the outlet. Even at full capacity these TME pumps use very little power. You can run the pump for an hour on a 500mah pack at full power. I only use a 350 mah 2 cell lipo on mine and after 3 smoke runs it has barely used 150mah. Save the weight and just pop in a cheap lipo from hobby city. You do not need a regulator with the TME and 2 cell lipo! Pretty cool.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:35 AM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

try running a single lipo-3.7 volts. that way the pump will run slower and not need as much restriction. I went from a six cell pack to a four cell and it still needed a restrictor.