Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

3W50 rotten transition, erratic idle

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

3W50 rotten transition, erratic idle

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2003, 11:36 PM
Flyin Woodbutcher
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3W50 rotten transition, erratic idle

Hey fellows my 3W 50 is running bad. The low needle is at 1/2 turn out and the high at 2 turns. If I increase the low it runs so rich it won't even rev up. If I adjust the high up its to rich and down it gets lean quick. The engine ran fine for 1 gal then this all of a sudden. The low was at 1 1/2 and the high at 2 and it ran perfect. These crazy symptoms came about slowly over 2 flights today.

Anybody? any thoughts.

Kent

Plane is a Hanger 9 Cap 232
Old 07-20-2003, 01:01 AM
Diablo-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Do you have a filter in the tank? Maybe there is dirt in the carb.
I would work on the tank and plumbing first, then take the carb apart. It's usually the simple things.
Old 07-20-2003, 01:07 AM
Flyin Woodbutcher

Yep I have a filter in the tank and the fuel can. I guess a piece of something could get in during the refueling process. I would think that some sort of debris would require the needles to be turned out instead of in. I was going to snoop in the carb tomorrow anyway. Thanks

Kent
Old 07-20-2003, 01:22 AM
Diablo-RCU

If the dirt gets between the needle and seat on the metering side of the carb, it will run rich.
Old 07-20-2003, 01:25 AM
Flyin Woodbutcher

Yes that does make sense. Thats kinda like flooding if the needle is partially open. Thanks

Kent
Old 07-20-2003, 01:37 AM
Hank68

I have a 3W24 that just developed a new problem.I switched props and we reset the carb.We were holding the plane nose up and nose down to make sure it wasn't to lean at full throttle and idle.Full throttle was no problem.At idle,when we held it nose down,it would just quit running.We adjust the needles a little more,but it still does it.I'm at a loss.Anyone have any ideas?

Hank
Old 07-20-2003, 12:38 PM
Diablo-RCU

Hank, sounds like trouble with fuel lines in the tank. These gas engines have a diaphragm pump in the carb. If operating properly, they don't care if the plane is nose high or nose down. However, if the clunk in the tank sucks air instead of gas, the engine will quit.
Old 07-20-2003, 01:00 PM
Hank68

I've checked the lines in the tank.All are fine.This problem just developed after I have 2 gallons through it.I just got done setting the needles again.It keeps running,but acts like I just dumped a load of fuel into the cylinder.I am going to the field in a little while.Hopefully I can get it worked out.By the way,the prop I switched to is a 20x6 carbon fiber spinning 7200 RPM.I maxed it out at close to 7600 RPM and dropped it back to 7200.This is a strong engine for it's size.

Hank
Old 07-20-2003, 06:39 PM
rc bugman
My Feedback: (30)

K_Hunt

With the 3W-50 that I have (2 of them), if the needles get a little out of whack the engines become very difficult to adjust back into the proper setting. Very hair pulling! I always have to go back to the settings in the manual and start over again. The "proper" settings are very close to the ones listed in the manual which comes with the engine. I don't have the manual with me but I hope you have one. If not, email me and I will look up the settings at work tomorrow.

This is the only 3W size which I have that is so touchy with the carb setting. It is a very powerful engine (though a bit heavy). It puts out more power than the DA 50.

Elson
Old 07-20-2003, 07:25 PM
Flyin Woodbutcher

Thanks bugman I've been waiting to hear from you. I still have my manual and will try the factory settings before taking the carb apart and cleaning it. 3/4 to 1 on the high and 1 1/2 on the low, right now the low is at 1/2 . Like you said the needles adjustments are hair pullers currently. The engine ran perfect the 1st gal, I hope I can get it right again.

As for the weight, this worked out to my advantage. The Cap 232 balanced out nicely. I also have a DA50 which runs well, hav'ent had a chance to do a power comparison test though.

Thanks Kent
Old 07-21-2003, 12:02 AM
Flyin Woodbutcher

Found it!! Looked like a little rubber hair stuck in the needle and seat assembly. Reinstalled engine and runs as good as new. Now just have to tune the bottom a little more to get rid of the slight burbble.

Kent