Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

twin engine trainer

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2003, 01:34 AM
flyemfast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default twin engine trainer

What would you guys suggest as a good first twin engine airplane, preferably an ARF. I have been flying RC for some time now and am interested in twins. I thought about the Twinstar but found that they have been discontinued. Any suggestions? Thanks
Old 07-25-2003, 02:42 AM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

flyemfast:

Twin-Air 45. Not ARF. Easy build. Northeast Aerodynamics.

ne-aero.com

Highly recommended, flies well with 40 FPs, and anything stronger in the same size range.

Bill.

PS: Do a search for "First Twin" and similar, this one has been done many times. wr.
Old 07-25-2003, 03:06 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Or consider bashing an ARF. Check toucano,s thread a little down the list, called "bashing an arf into a twin or triple".

John
Old 07-25-2003, 04:13 PM
CraigA

It may not be pretty but it flies great and it's cheap!

For further information..
http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...highlight=twin]
Old 07-25-2003, 05:41 PM
Robby
My Feedback: (18)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

utt ohhh.... Watch out... TwinMan is gonna get all excited now..
heheheh....
A SPAD twin,, waayyy kewlll....
Old 07-25-2003, 06:59 PM
bkf1970

Does the Twin-Air 45 have retracts ? If not can it be modified to accept retacts ?
Old 07-25-2003, 07:35 PM
William Robison

bkf1970:

As delivered in the kit, the Twin-Air 45 has fixed gear.

The design of the Twin-AIr series uses wire L/G that angles about 45 degrees sideways down to the wheels, this allows the gear mounting blocks to be mounted near the center of the wing, giving great strength with minimum weight.

Retracts can be used without great effort, but you'll have to move the mountings a couple rib bays further out on the wings to get room for the gear legs and wheels when retracted.

I've stayed with fixed gear on all my T-As, for retracts I build the Duellist airplanes.

The Duellist is a lot harder build. Currently available in the 40-46 size, its dimensions are almost the same as the Twin-Air 45.

How much harder? Wont go into it here, but time for one Duellist is enough to build two Twin-Airs.

And this is quite long for answering yes/no on T-A retracts. Sorry.

Get the Twn-Air and build it. If you want retracts do it. Either way its a very good airplane.

Bill.
Old 07-26-2003, 12:16 AM
rryman
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ARF twins aren't that easy to come by. But, as I posted in another thread the other day, the Giant Scale Planes C-160 Transall is an ARF twin, looks great, goes together fast, is light when finished, and doesn't cost a fortune. Whether or not it makes a difference on twins, it is a high wing, the engines are pretty close together, and although I only have one flight on mine, it flew great the first flight and hardly needed any trim. My first twin was a Royal B-25. Another good twin, but not an easy build. Guess I'm spoiled. Now I'm looking for a C-130 ARF. So far, haven't found one.
Randy
Old 07-26-2003, 01:27 AM
twinman

To Robby

Your killing me.......drool!!!!
To flyemfast
Unfortunately it is true that there are few twin arfs. Per the posted picture, consider using two kits and twin fuse design. I have two and they fly fantastic, with very good engine out characteristics. Somewhere in this forum, I also have posted about how to do this. Use the search for bashing as "How to Kit Bash to a Twin " or go directly to http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...ng+into+twins.
One very good flier is a twin ugly stick arf...not pretty, but easy to do and took me approx 20 hours. No special servos required.
Good luck,,
Old 07-26-2003, 01:38 PM
don olsen

I just flew my tiger 60 kit bash twin( engines on the wing) what a nice flier will post a pic when i get one I also built a tiger 2 twin out of two kits double fuse style the double fuse is more predictable and slower aerobatics
don
Old 07-27-2003, 12:11 PM
nchrome

Default Twin engine trainer

Don I used a Hobbico Voyager and bashed it into a twin. It flys great and in an engine out situation chop throttle do your turn and throttle up gently and you will be okay. Except if you don't have the altitude. And be sure to hold the plane up to check the engine reliability. I have OS26 fourstrokers on mine and have only had one real bad sitituation. But had minior damage. I flew this little juel at the internet fly in and had a blast. Quite a few were interested in it and were inpressed with how it handled. Very mannuverable except for my skills I'm sure it will be able to do any stunt you can put it into. My tow OS26s are very reliable in this plane and I'm also using it as a test stand for breaking in the OSs for my Wing B-17 which I hope I will finish soon.
Old 07-27-2003, 03:00 PM
Robby
My Feedback: (18)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Saw nchrome's plane at the I-Net.. Yes he was a tad nervous..
Yes, the plane flew damn good.. The only complaint with nchromes
plane is it is too dang quiet !!
It took off well...
It flys great...
It lands very well...

Now if you are a nice guy and ask him, maybe he will post
a pic or two of it... (just don't ask him about the B25)
Old 07-27-2003, 03:28 PM
don olsen

kit bash goldberg tiger 60 10 lbs pr 46s nice flyer
Old 07-28-2003, 10:36 PM
flyemfast

Thanks for the reply's everyone. I think I'm going to look into the Twin Air. I have a Sport Air 40 made by Northeast Aerodynamics and I love it. It looks great and flys even better. Pardon me for sounding stupid but what is kit bashing? From what I have gathered from the replys is that it is taking two kits and making one twin plane. Is that correct?
Old 07-28-2003, 11:05 PM
William Robison

flyemfast:
Originally posted by flyemfast
Thanks for the reply's everyone. I think I'm going to look into the Twin Air.
An excellent coice.
Pardon me for sounding stupid but what is kit bashing?
Any modification to a stock kit is referred to as "Bashing." It can be as simple as putting a cowl on the engine, clipping the wings, getting fancier by making a biplane of a monoplane, or, yes, buying two kits and tieing them together to make a twin.

You can also "Bash" an ARF.

I've attached a picture of my most ambitious bash. Does it look like a Hobbistar 60? It was, but is not.

Bill.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	97284_18613.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	55159