Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Skymaster F-16 1/8 third flight

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Skymaster F-16 1/8 third flight

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 06:37 PM
Molnar142
My Feedback: (38)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Skymaster F-16 1/8 third flight

Guillermo -

Where are ya with the F-18?

I've made 3 flights with mine. I really like it! There are some bugs to fix but I’ll get there. The power is still pretty good with the P80SE @ almost 22lbs dry.
My CG is at 155mm and it seems just about right.

1st flight - no issue other than the right gear door hung open. I had a little harder landing than I would like on the mains but no issue.

2nd flight - Right door open again. Left Main did not extend. On touch down, the left main deployed but it was too late...went off side of runway into grass. That was no big deal until the nose wheel caught the edge of the crossing taxi way. Broke nose retract plates, slid across taxi way then came to a stop in the grass on the other side of the taxiway. Broke the probe/nose cone holding nut off the front (never found...ordered new). Fixed retract plates and found that at 100psi pressure, the detent in the retracted position on the retract side plates are machined too far and the pin got jammed up and would not release when commanded to extend. I put a drop of JB weld back in this radius to keep the retract sliding pin from going too far and getting stuck. All retracts worked flawlessly even down to 22lbs pressure to extend.

3rd flight - flight good. left door now hung open. Upon landing, nose gear didn't retract. Slid to a stop on the runway. Root cause - maintenance error...forgot to reinstall the small screw holding the steering servo arm to the servo. Consequently, it fell off in flight and the cable became wrapped around the nose wheel keeping it from being extended. Damage - severe rub to the underside of the nose cone, slight rub to the underside of the inlet and nose gear door. Ordered new nose cone (with probe/nut!) and will fix gear door and inlet.

Still don't understand main gear door issue. All cylinders have been replaced with Airpower after first flight but no change. I'm not running a bypass or the supplied inlet duct extension because with the P80, it forces this extended duct down enough that the main tires hit it and bind up when the mains are retracted. Perhaps with the size of the inlet on this model, I'm pressurizing the inside of the model where the inlet stops (without the extension tube) …this happens to be right over the main doors. ???? The gear and gear doors work flawlessly on ground tests. Door s slam closed with authority.
I'll patch up the existing nose and go for flight 4 soon. Don't even want to know how long it will take to get the new nose cone.

Mike