Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Anyone own an Aerobird 3?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 08:11 AM
kurtf5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone own an Aerobird 3?

I own one and i want another battery for it so i can be on the field longer.
The stock one is 1000mah, here:

http://www.wonderlandmodels.com/prod...GoogleShopping

Can anyone recommend a Nimh battery pack for a simular price, maybe lighter with more mah rating?

I live and buy from the UK, thanks.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:40 AM
kurtf5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Anyone own an Aerobird 3?

bumps
Old 08-04-2010, 02:28 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: Anyone own an Aerobird 3?

As long as the voltage of the pack is the smilaryou can put in just about anything. For example a 7 cell NiMh pak is 8.4V. A 2 cell lipo is nominaly 7.4V but at full charge it is 8.4V. And most lipo packs today will have less of a voltage sag than the 2/3A NiMh packs being used in these planes so the net voltage comes up about the same.

I own two Aerobird Challengers and used to have an Aerobird 3. I always used the HobbyZone packs. However some people would swap out the NiMh packs for 2 cell lipo packs. And I understand that you can actually run them on 3 cell packs. I have never tried it but have read many posts that say that it holds up fine.

When changing to a different pack you need to consider physical size and weight. The battery pack, being in the nose of the plane, helps to balance it. So if your NiMh packs weight 5 ounces, for example, you don't want your new packs to be more than that or the plane will end up nose heavy. If they come up less it is easy to add weight.

You are likely to have to change connectors on the new packs to match the battery connector in the plane.

I have standardized all of my battery packs on Deans Ultra Plugs, so if I get an battery pack or an ESCthat has some other kind of connector I just cut it off and solder on a Deans.

</p>