Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Would a By-pass like this hold the turbine well?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Would a By-pass like this hold the turbine well?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 12:22 PM
sskianpour
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Would a By-pass like this hold the turbine well?

Hey All, look at these photos, they are from my Fei Bao MB339. Installing a JR Rhino in there. The turbine "bolt-down" straps are not very wide and do not reach the mounting rails pre-installed by manufacturer.

Usually, I would just attach 2 scrap rectangular 2" X 4" pieces of plywood to the rails on each side and make the gap between the rails narrower so the turbine would mount to the new narrower "rails", but as it sits like this the turbine is the perfect height with respect to pipe and bypass. if I were to use any reasonably safe thickness of plywood to make the new rails, that would make the turbine sit higher and therefore cause other problems-it would not be aligned with pipe anymore.

I have 2 good options as I see it:

1. Mount By-pass to rails since the bypass is wide enough, then mount turbine to bypass by drilling holes into bypass and using bolts or screws to hold in place -this is sort of way BVM does it I think, but I am unsure if this is a BVM bypass and if it presents safety and structural integrity issues should bypass melt/break, etc... during flight.

2. mount plywood scrap plates to rails, make rails narrower and then mount turbine to new rails, and then I have no idea what to do to compensate for turbine sitting higher other than moving pipe up or pointing turbine nozzle down and I think that would cause its own set of issues since now I am changing angle of thrust, etc....

What you guys think? I would appreciate creative answers dealing with this specific solution/problem.

Thanks everyone in advance,
Shaz
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77534.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	185.5 KB
ID:	1482977   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn40367.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	1482978   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb76516.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	1482979  
Old 08-12-2010, 12:36 PM
grbaker
My Feedback: (29)

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
Default RE: Would a By-pass like this hold the turbine well?

I would fabricate an aluminum plate to bolt to the turbine bracket that could be bolted to the mounting rails.

I had to do this with a Rhino in a EuroSport.
Old 08-12-2010, 12:42 PM
olnico

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Hi Shaz.

Here is my 2c.

1. If you wanna go for this option, you need to glue a 2 mm real carbon fiber plate at the back of the bypass mounting tab. This plate shall be as wide and long as the flange to be able to retain the engine efforts.

2. Plywood is a good option as well but as you mentioned, you'll be offsetting the turbine to the top a bit more. You will need a good quality aviation plywood of at least 3 mm. Then you can use aluminium ( 2,5 ish mm ) as Gary said.

IN NO WAY you should simply bolt the engine to the bypass glass fiber. Or your engine will soon depart from the aircraft with the consequences that you can imagine...
Also do not put the bypass top cover on this setup as you will certainly choke the engine. The bypass is too narrow for your setup. I would also recommend you to slightly move the engine aft so that the air can pass between the front of the engine casing and the bypass intake.
Old 08-12-2010, 12:43 PM
Countryboy
My Feedback: (25)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Unless the bypass is very thick walled with thick flanges, I would not trust bolting the turbine to the bypass only. Personally, I would epoxy ( or maybe bolt) a 1/4" piece of aircraft grade plywood full width to the bottom of the existing rails and let that ply extend out to the bypass. I would then cap that plywood with another piece of aircraft ply that is thick enough to flush it with the topside of the existing rails. By this method, no change is made in reference to the height of the turbine.
Old 08-12-2010, 01:48 PM
Harley Condra
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1. Mount By-pass to rails since the bypass is wide enough, then mount turbine to bypass by drilling holes into bypass and using bolts or screws to hold in place -this is sort of way BVM does it I think, but I am unsure if this is a BVM bypass and if it presents safety and structural integrity issues should bypass melt/break, etc... during flight. From the looks of your bypass, it is not a BVM bypass tube.
In the photos your mounting flanges appear to be parallel to the engine mount plates in the airframe, and appear to be three or four inches long.
BVM bypass tubes feature angled mounting tabs designed to use the BVM cast aluminum tees that come with our engine mount strap kits. For this reason, the mounting tabs shown are 1 1/2" long. You will also find Kevlar joining tape at each end of the tube opening.
BVM recommends using the bypass tube cover in our installations.
For contrast, the accompanying photos show a P-200 sized BVM tube for the Ultra Bandit, and a P-70 sized tube for a BVM T-33.
Note how the engine is mounted in the large tube. There is 1/4" plywood under the fiberglass ears, and we use 4-40 hardware.
Do you know of any reason you could not use this type of mount strap and tees on your engine? What is you engine case diameter?
BVM has mount straps available in various sizes to fit various engines.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	If10799.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	1483002   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av68408.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	1483003   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gi83569.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	1483004   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ut66165.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	1483005  
Old 08-12-2010, 02:15 PM
sskianpour

ORIGINAL: Harley Condra

1. Mount By-pass to rails since the bypass is wide enough, then mount turbine to bypass by drilling holes into bypass and using bolts or screws to hold in place -this is sort of way BVM does it I think, but I am unsure if this is a BVM bypass and if it presents safety and structural integrity issues should bypass melt/break, etc... during flight. From the looks of your bypass, it is not a BVM bypass tube.
In the photos your mounting flanges appear to be parallel to the engine mount plates in the airframe, and appear to be three or four inches long.
BVM bypass tubes feature angled mounting tabs designed to use the BVM cast aluminum tees that come with our engine mount strap kits. For this reason, the mounting tabs shown are 1 1/2'' long. You will also find Kevlar joining tape at each end of the tube opening.
BVM recommends using the bypass tube cover in our installations.
For contrast, the accompanying photos show a P-200 sized BVM tube for the Ultra Bandit, and a P-70 sized tube for a BVM T-33.
Note how the engine is mounted in the large tube. There is 1/4'' plywood under the fiberglass ears, and we use 4-40 hardware.
Do you know of any reason you could not use this type of mount strap and tees on your engine? What is you engine case diameter?
BVM has mount straps available in various sizes to fit various engines.
Hi Harley, thanks for your response. Now that I see BVM By-Pass and mounting procedure, I dont believe trying to convert my By-Pass and engine to BVM style mounting would be much easier than the solution that Countryboy has provided. Thanks everyone for your posts.

Shaz
Old 08-12-2010, 03:15 PM
readyturn
My Feedback: (9)

Another approach would be to use some alum channel (same width as your turbine strap). Attach the channel using the existing two fasteners on the strap and then bolt to the existing rails using a blind nut.

Rick
Old 08-12-2010, 11:27 PM
furloughed ual
My Feedback: (31)

Shaz, that's an easy fix...butt glue (hysol) ply rails to the edge of the existing rails, then strengthen the joint by hysoling a 1/4" ply plate overlaping the glue joint u just made by an inch or so....do this on the bottom of the rail and ther are no issues or changes to the thrustline....OR....just rip the rails out and replace them with wider rails and you're done...prob whatI would do....no worries....

Burning kero in MN now......

Ryan
Old 08-12-2010, 11:38 PM
sskianpour

Thanks Ryan, that makes sense. Enjoy MN, I hear its hot and humid, but the air is thick and the jets come in niiiice and slow. Give Clark a hard time for me!
Shaz
Old 08-13-2010, 03:08 AM
i3dm
My Feedback: (51)

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Whats the advantage of using this half bypass anyway ? is it really required ?
Old 08-13-2010, 09:22 AM
sskianpour

ORIGINAL: sskianpour

Thanks Ryan, that makes sense. Enjoy MN, I hear its hot and humid, but the air is thick and the jets come in niiiice and slow. Give Clark a hard time for me!
Shaz
No Bellmouth on the pipe, and airlines underneath bypass.
Old 08-13-2010, 02:01 PM
Harley Condra
My Feedback: (4)

Shaz
Actually, hotter humid air is thinner...not denser. It may feel denser because of heat and humidity, but the air is actually thinner in hot, humid environments.
On hot humid days, the "Density Altitude" is higher" than on cool dryer days.
Google Density altitude.
Old 08-13-2010, 02:54 PM
aquaskiman
My Feedback: (46)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Shan ment thicker than Denver 5400ft at 100 deg.
Old 08-13-2010, 04:27 PM
sskianpour

ORIGINAL: Harley Condra

Shaz
Actually, hotter humid air is thinner...not denser. It may feel denser because of heat and humidity, but the air is actually thinner in hot, humid environments.
On hot humid days, the ''Density Altitude'' is higher'' than on cool dryer days.
Google Density altitude.
LOL, yeah Harley, George is right, we live out here in Denver and on these hot summer days at our altitude on a 600 foot runway, landing some of the bigger jets is like trying to skip a quarter onto a plate from 10 feet away. A hot humid day in MN is very different that one here, the planes JUST DONT SLOW DOWN HERE [sm=drowning.gif]

our density altitude based on weather.com's stats today is 9651 feet...I guess you are right though, I was saying hot and humid MN is better for planes, and I was wrong, it is never better when hot and humid vs. dry and cold. In fact MN is only better than Denver since its is thousands of feet lower, not because it is hot and humid.

regardless, thanks for the help all on the turbine mounting issue...
Shaz

Old 08-14-2010, 09:10 AM
hooker53
My Feedback: (106)

Shaz, Why couldn't you bolt the ply extensions you would make to your existing mounts but mount your turbine strap mounts to the underside rather then on top?? That way you don't gain that extra amount that you are trying to avoid. Than if you ever need to take the turbine out, just un-bolt the fabricated mount you made from the stock mounts and out you are.