Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Runs good on land

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Runs good on land

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 10:49 AM
xpresssi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Runs good on land

Now that is what im talkin about to the 2nd power!!!!! Thank you very very much tripoli. That info needs to be put into a sticky on this site for the future pore souls who go threw these problems. What a valuable tool !!!

I will make sure to check my Spark Plug Gap aswell GT Dad! Thank you very much !
Old 09-18-2009, 11:48 AM
Dan S

here is some good info on carb settings.

Starting point carburetor settings (High/Low)

WT-257
H - 1 turn
L - 2 turns

WT-488
H - 1 1/8 turns
L - 1 1/2 turns

WT-603
H - 1 1/2 turns
L - 1 5/8 turns

WT-644
H - 1 1/2 turns
L - 1 1/2 turns

WT-813
H - 1 1/2 turns
L - 1 1/2 turns

WT-929
H - 1 1/4 turns
L - 1 3/4 turns

Dan.
Old 09-18-2009, 02:12 PM
xpresssi

Thank you so much Dan, I think that after these two days I sould be getting a degree in 2 stroke engins after all of this info I have been presented with from you guys. Thank you all very much, you do not know how much I appreciate all that you have done and shared with me. It will not go forgotten !!
Old 09-18-2009, 08:28 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

I agree, maybe JAW could take Tripoli and Dan's last posts and start a thread on settings and sticky it to the top of the forum. What do you think JAW?
Old 09-18-2009, 10:37 PM
xpresssi

Thanks to Dan S. & Tripoli's Last two posts I was able to make 3 yes I said 3 laps around the lake. I know that dont sound like very much but after the week I have been haveing with this monster it was well over due!! The boat died by itself once again but now I have some sort of point to start at. I still had a hard time starting it ( 2 more blisters for those of you getting down with the bets) but after it started it idled realy nice but was slugish on the rev. I gave her a toss and she did not have alot of top end and sounded very raspy. I can not tell by sound nor feel on which way to adjust for quite yet due to the differnt sound of a gas motor on water vs a nitro engen on a track.
I gave it full triger and it did not quite fall on its face but it did not have any top end. So any suggesions would be helpful on what to lean or fatten up in this case.

Thank you so much Dan S. & Tripoli's for all the info you provided me with. Not that I have forgotten everyone else in this post giving me advice and helping me. I want to thank everyone of you just the same. You are the best bunch of well I wont get a mushy , you all get the Idea

I would like to add to my 3 laps I made today !! I made an adjustment went to throw the boat in and my dang shaft snaped, the good thing is that I did not loose anything. It all stayed in the tube. I am using a flex shaft type of setup, does anyone have any suggestions on a good flex shaft supplier or brand?
Old 09-18-2009, 11:43 PM
rcguy1411

1/8 trun leaner on lsn only adjust one at a time
Old 09-19-2009, 01:12 AM
Dockman

ORIGINAL: rcguy1411

X2
Old 09-19-2009, 11:19 PM
xpresssi

I will do that and thank you for the instruction. How do I know (by sound or feel) which way to adjust. I can not tell the differince on the gas motor. It has a totally diffent sound then the nitro engines.

Old 09-19-2009, 11:26 PM
Dockman

ORIGINAL: xpresssi

I will do that and thank you for the instruction. How do I know (by sound or feel) which way to adjust. I can not tell the differince on the gas motor. It has a totally diffent sound then the nitro engines.

Go to warehouse hobbies website and watch his video on tuning a Zenoah.
Old 09-20-2009, 11:07 PM
dicko

If you hold it WOT & it feels like it is going to die or does die, you're too lean. A lean engine can miss fire too. If it bogs down or won't pick up it's too rich, a rich engine is more likely to just not pick up it's revs than to stall (once you hear the difference between a lean & rich engine, you won't forget it). If you're not sure richen it up 1/8 turn & see what that does, if it doesn't help, lean it & compare. It's safer to go rich than lean on the needle settings.

Jason
Old 09-21-2009, 08:45 AM
xpresssi

Thank you for theadvice dicko, I have been doing some research outside the forum and have been taking everyones advice. I an kinda dead in the water due to my flex drive snaping last Friday. I have to wait till UPSdelivers it before I can mess with it some more.

This will give all of you a break for a few day's along with my fingers which are healing up some LOL.
ORIGINAL: dicko

If you hold it WOT & it feels like it is going to die or does die, you're too lean. A lean engine can miss fire too. If it bogs down or won't pick up it's too rich, a rich engine is more likely to just not pick up it's revs than to stall (once you hear the difference between a lean & rich engine, you won't forget it). If you're not sure richen it up 1/8 turn & see what that does, if it doesn't help, lean it & compare. It's safer to go rich than lean on the needle settings.

Jason
Old 09-21-2009, 10:11 AM
LawHound

Expresssi is your Drive Cable 1/4 Inch? Square drive on one end? if it is go to any small engine repair shop where they work on Weed Eaters and see if you can pick some up from the Trash Barrel. the Drive Cable in a Weed Eater is the Same Cable you can get 2 Cables out of one Weed Eater if you use the 1/4 Inch drive. if you use the Round Friction Collet on the Drive end and A Solder Connection on the Prop Shaft you can get more than 2 Drive Shafts from one Weed Eater Cable By cutting the Square drives off and Measuring what you need and cutting it off use a Dremel with a cut off disk and cut it Carefully. I make my own Drive Shafts this way. Doug.
Old 09-21-2009, 07:18 PM
xpresssi

No mine is a flex shaft about 1/4 inch in diameter and it has a solid end which the prop attaches to. IL have to take a pic of it for ya to see. Thank you for the advice LawHound !!
ORIGINAL: LawHound

Expresssi is your Drive Cable 1/4 Inch? Square drive on one end? if it is go to any small engine repair shop where they work on Weed Eaters and see if you can pick some up from the Trash Barrel. the Drive Cable in a Weed Eater is the Same Cable you can get 2 Cables out of one Weed Eater if you use the 1/4 Inch drive. if you use the Round Friction Collet on the Drive end and A Solder Connection on the Prop Shaft you can get more than 2 Drive Shafts from one Weed Eater Cable By cutting the Square drives off and Measuring what you need and cutting it off use a Dremel with a cut off disk and cut it Carefully. I make my own Drive Shafts this way. Doug.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:49 PM
srw1960

MAN Im glad ya got it going even if it was only for a bit...andMy 2 cents worth Dicko has the right idea how to tell when its right by ear I knew to check the plug we do that on race cars all the time dont know why I didnt think to say something about it..Ive tuned engines so long its just second nature to me I did my best to describe the lean and rich sound to ya but I dont feel I did it justice....The info Dan s and triploi gave you is EXCELLENT and I agree should be made a sticky....that info will get you started and dickos sound advice should help...and my 2 cents on your present setting is I think your HSN is rich not the LSN....since you were trying to open it up and accelerate and it was blubbering sounds rich to me..if after blubbering if you let off the throttle and it settles into a descent idle its prob the hsn if it was the lsn your idle would be bad..like was said if it runs smoothly from idle to mid range thats the lsn if you open up the throttle then the hsn is in play...and remember as you change one youll need to recheck the other they do work hand in hand
Old 09-21-2009, 10:08 PM
Scott.b

Good info here guys thanks for sharing,I have a question on compression.Is there a setting the compression should be at?Can you check it with a compression tester?Also if the motor is cold it will give a false reading of compression until it heats up no?Thanks.
Old 08-19-2010, 01:12 AM
rson123

great post and resource for tuning your engine...

Any advice on an engine not getting fuel? Runs primer fuel great, starts on first pull, then dies...ugh!

F-41 Stryker Cat, J&G 25cc, Walbro wt257 Carb.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:25 AM
samuelmerry

i recently had the same issue, ran ok on idle on the bank, as soon as i gave it gas on the water the engine would die.
The problem, i had used an M5 screw to bung the fuel filler and on idle it was fine, as soon as i gave it some throttle it would draw in just enough air through the thread and kill the engine.
check the fuel line for leaks such as this as well as pin holes.....
Old 08-20-2010, 11:01 AM
rson123

thanks for your feedback and suggestion samuelmerry - no air leaks detected. I'm replacing my Walbro wt257 Carb with a new one. We'll see if that works.

F-41 Stryker Cat, J&G 25cc, Walbro wt257 Carb.