Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Piranha charger problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 09:50 PM
ERK419

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Piranha charger problem

I have a piranha digital peak charger that I've had for 2 years. I used it probaly about 10 times 2 years agao and didn't use it since. Well a few days ago I decided to get back in the hobby I hooked my orion 1600 MAH humpack up to it set it at NIMH 1600 MAH 1.0 amp and 6v. The first time it charged for three in a half mins then started beeping and said it was done. I did it again and it charged for six in a half mins then beeped and said it was done the screen read 105MAH.

Whats up with this why isn't it fully charging it or not even getting close. I never had this problem before. Am I doing something wrong?

And I know its not charged cause I hooked it up and truck wouldn't turn on used the factory battery back with regular double A's and it worked fine.
Old 09-04-2010, 10:33 PM
alvinl

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Piranha charger problem

How old is the hump pack?
Old 09-04-2010, 10:39 PM
ERK419

2 years only been used like 10 times. Ive got another one never been used had it for two years though. I just took it out of the bag but Ihave to change the connector.
Old 09-04-2010, 11:00 PM
ERK419

Well I've charged it about 5 times now none lasted more then 10 mintues most a little of 5 minutes. Everytime the most it says is 105 usually around 60-90 MAH. I just plugged it in the savage and now its turning it on which it wasn't after the first charge. So it looks like its taking a charge but I don't understand why it won't fully charge it the first time. I have battery pack for my rotor start and after the first charge it works.

So it looks like if I keep charging the humppack ot will charge but I have no idea how charged it is. I dont have a small connector for the other humppack gonna order one. Id clip the one off the factory battery thing but as soon as I do this I would end up needing it.
Old 09-04-2010, 11:22 PM
ERK419

Well its on the charger again this time its setting a record been on there over ten mins at 1600 MAH 1amp and 6v and it at over 400 MAH so will see what it finishes at.
Old 09-05-2010, 12:27 AM
ERK419

that one got to about 530 MAH and took a little over half an hour. Did another one after that that last the same amount of time and the same MAH. So I'm gonna try it out tommorrow and see how it does.
Old 09-05-2010, 10:43 AM
alvinl

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea, if you keep charging them and draining them, you may get the batteries back to somewhat usable. But they may never perform like new.
Old 09-05-2010, 10:47 AM
OvalRacer99

If the battery has been sitting around for that same 2 years, then it's the battery and not the charger.
Older nimh batteries tend to false peak if they have not been used for a while. Keep cycling it and it may came back to life, then again, it may not.