Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

gas to electric engine

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

gas to electric engine

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 09:35 AM
jamskramer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gas to electric engine

I have a 55 inch dumas scarab with a 260 zenoah engine. I flipped the boat and had to take apart the engine. Now it will not start. Tired of messing with it. Is there an electric option for a motor that will still make this boat get up on plane?
Thanks,
Jim</p>
Old 09-04-2010, 09:40 AM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: gas to electric engine

Why did you strip the engine?,usually all you do is remove plug tip boat upside down and pull cord a cpl times to eject water,replace plug and start it up and run it to burn off any remaining moisture and it should be fine.If you left it for any length of time corrosion can occur inside,also make sure no water got into the fuel etc.Ive flipped a cpl of my boats and never had a problem using this method.
Mart
Old 09-04-2010, 11:52 AM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I know not of the specifics - but to convert from a gasser to electric with stock gasser performance you are probably looking at spending $1500+ by the time you add in batteries, speed controller, motor, and charger. Add to that their ability to fry (and just wait and see what they do when you get them wet!!!). If you have killed your zen then I would recommend finding out what you need to do to fix it or spend the $200 to replace it.
Old 09-04-2010, 07:55 PM
Johnnysplits

Remove the plug. Does the engine turn easily? If so, turn the boat upside down and give the starter a few pulls to get the water out of the engine. Clean the plug and reinstall it. You might have gotten water in the fuel if you run a standard tank. Remove all old fuel and replace with fresh. You should be able to fire it right back up. Now if the engine doesnt turn easily with the plug removed, chances are you bent the rod and will need to replace. If you flip and dont kill the engine as its in the air, there's a good chance your gonna ingest some water. In the last three years, I flipped my boat more times than I care to mention and she's still running like new. Like Justaddwata said, your looking at a lot of dough to convert to electric. Besides, electric is boring...no noise, short run times, and better KNOW how to maintain those batteries otherwise, more $$$$$ I love my obnoxiously loud tuned pipe!!!
Old 09-06-2010, 06:32 PM
jamskramer

The engine rotates easily without the plug in it so I think the rod is ok. I know I have spark, i grounded the spark plug while pulling the starter and here appears to be plenty of spark. When iinstall the plug, it feels like i am getting compression in the cylinder - there seems to be plenty of resistance, and i pulled the gas tank, drained it, let it completely dry out and got fresh gas. I must not be choking properly. I put the choke on, pull three or 4 times and then put the throttle in mid throttle. then i repeat the process. But it just doesn't kick at all. there is no indication that is firing. It was starting on the second pull before. Its a gorgeous boat, i just want it to run...</p>
Old 09-06-2010, 09:23 PM
Johnnysplits

Yes, it should at least pop on the 2nd pull with the choke on. Then the 3rd pull with choke off it should start. What carb are you using?Did you check the setting on the mixture screws? Are you sure the carb is getting fuel? Have you tried a new plug?
Old 09-07-2010, 09:59 PM
jamskramer

the carb came with the engine and was the standard carb the last time i remember checking. I reset the mixture screws according to the manufacturer settings -  both were like 1 and a quarter i think. the carb has a bulb on top that is used to get the gas to the carb and it is full. I did not try a new plug because i had spark  on  it but that may  be a good idea. i feel like the gas is just not getting to the cylinder. Plug smelled of gas thought when i removed it. maybe its just not getting enough. could i try dumping some fuel into the cylinder and then screwing on the plug and trying that?

Thanks for your help.
Old 09-08-2010, 12:01 AM
Justaddwata

Flywheel key may have sheared - they go very easy. If you pull the flywheel off the key may well have been cut (happens often if a motor has been dunked when running - helps keep other things from breaking in a sudden stop).
If the key shears then the ignition timing will be off and she will never fire.
Old 09-08-2010, 08:11 AM
Johnnysplits

He stated that the engine turns fine and has spark so the woodruff key hasn't sheared, even though your statement is true.I still say to install a new plug, even though you see a spark on your original plug.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:49 AM
rcguy1411

as long as the flywheel turns past the coil you will get a spark the key is for the timming of the engine
Old 09-08-2010, 02:27 PM
NobodyFamous

If you have a small propane torch you can remove the gas altogether, have a buddy direct the propane into the carb and give it a few pulls.  It should fire up and run off the propane. If it run's that way, you have a fuel/carb issue.  If it doesn't your problem is not fuel but more likely spark.  You may have it but like it was stated, it may be at the wrong time.
Old 09-08-2010, 03:55 PM
Justaddwata

ORIGINAL: Johnnysplits

He stated that the engine turns fine and has spark so the woodruff key hasn't sheared, even though your statement is true. I still say to install a new plug, even though you see a spark on your original plug.
Johnny - my statement is true. But you missed it altogether.

The engine will turn over and spark - regardless of if the woodruff key has sheared. The key precisely times the spark to the pistons stroke - no more - no less. If the key has sheared then you might have spark when the piston is at the bottom of the stroke (or anywhere in the stroke) and not at the top of the stroke (when it will cause the motor to fire).

It might be that the key is intact and not the cause of the problem - but for what has been described it is the next logical thing to be checking (you have spark, you have fuel, you have compression, and you did dunk the motor)
Old 09-08-2010, 06:37 PM
dicko

ORIGINAL: Justaddwata

ORIGINAL: Johnnysplits

He stated that the engine turns fine and has spark so the woodruff key hasn't sheared, even though your statement is true. I still say to install a new plug, even though you see a spark on your original plug.

The engine will turn over and spark - regardless of if the woodruff key has sheared. The key precisely times the spark to the pistons stroke - no more - no less. If the key has sheared then you might have spark when the piston is at the bottom of the stroke (or anywhere in the stroke) and not at the top of the stroke (when it will cause the motor to fire).

It might be that the key is intact and not the cause of the problem - but for what has been described it is the next logical thing to be checking (you have spark, you have fuel, you have compression, and you did dunk the motor)
I had that exact problem with my RCMK, replaced the key, problem solved. Mine would backfire occasionally, but not start. I'd check the flywheel key.
Old 09-08-2010, 06:55 PM
mistycreekboats
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[/quote]

I had this happen to me before it will spark but will not run ........... exactly like what you are having ............ engines only need 3 things to run . fuel ... comprssion and spark ..... but spark must be timed to compression stroke.

a new plug and making sure carb is clean and settings are right would be a good idea .........what is the number on the carb you are using

here is some

- WT-644 - 1 1/2 turns High, 1 1/2 turns Low
WT-603 - 1 1/2 turns High, 1 5/8 turns Low
WT-257 - 1 turn High, 2 turns Low
WT-488 - 1 1/8 turns High, 1 1/2 turns Low
WT-813/A - 1 1/2 turns High, 1 1/2 turns Low
Old 09-08-2010, 07:57 PM
jamskramer

Thanks guys, i will look at the key tonight. The boat was running hard when it chinewalked and flipped and shut off suddenly when it got turned over. So it definitely came to an abrupt stop. But that makes a lot of sense. Do i need a flywheel puller to get the flywheel off of there?

Thanks again!
Old 09-08-2010, 08:52 PM
mistycreekboats

yes but very easy to make with piece of flat stock steel or alum

here is step by step and shows the simple puller

http://www.modelgasboats.com/Magazin...noah_Teardown/

Cheers

Randy
Old 09-11-2010, 01:41 PM
jamskramer

Thanks Randy, I was able to pull the flywheel and check the key. It was fine so i have the engine back together and have been seeking a new plug. Archies looks like they have one and the guy said he could easily diagnose my engine problem so i am putting the boat back together and going up there. I looked at the spark on the plug again and it just didnt seem right so i am hoping thats it. going to go up there early next week. Well see what he says about it.
Old 09-11-2010, 07:02 PM
Johnnysplits

Whoops my bad huh. I dunked my engine many times and never sheared that key or bent a rod for that matter. Guess i've been lucky. I understand now what you meant about the timing being off with a broken key. For some reason Iwas thinking something else. I figured if the flywheel turned enough on the crank to shear the key, that it would loosen the flywheel nutat the same time and it would just spin on the crank.
Old 09-11-2010, 08:00 PM
mistycreekboats

ORIGINAL: jamskramer

Thanks Randy, I was able to pull the flywheel and check the key. It was fine so i have the engine back together and have been seeking a new plug. Archies looks like they have one and the guy said he could easily diagnose my engine problem so i am putting the boat back together and going up there. I looked at the spark on the plug again and it just didnt seem right so i am hoping thats it. going to go up there early next week. Well see what he says about it.
did you check to see if you have a sticking ring ? sometimes that has happened to me ... hope works out okay .......... must be only a ring or seals or leaking gasket

Cheers