Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Water in hull

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Water in hull

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 09:34 PM
Tundrahog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water in hull

Had the boat out today. She ran great. After every run I had water in the hull.?. Second run was about 10-12min. Had about a 3/4 - 1 pint of water in the hull. Drained it out the hull. Sat her in the water for 15min and no water leaked in?? Water only leaked in under power. All water lines secured with zip ties. No leaks on the water pump.
Old 09-12-2010, 09:48 PM
rcguy1411

Default RE: Water in hull

could be commingg from the stuffingtube make shure there is grease on the flexshaft make shure that if there is a teflon tube its in goodshape also could be spray from comming over the bow
Old 09-12-2010, 10:59 PM
Tundrahog

Yea, water on the flex shaft when removed. Any "rule of thumb" for stuffing tube replacement? Every season, xx amout of time.

Thanks
Old 09-13-2010, 01:09 AM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I cannot imagine water running up the stuffing tube while under way - I would think the opposite would happen. the winds of the cable plus the forward movement of the boat should push out rather than draw in.

Do you have a water cooled header or flange? a leaking "O" ring will give you plenty of water in a boat. Also if there is a bend in the header and it is near the "O" ring you will see water entering the hull. Just a thought.

Auto bailers will get the water out of the hull - though it would be good to know how it is getting in.
Old 09-13-2010, 02:07 AM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree its most likeley a leaking o ring most likeley on the pipe,some pipes especially alluminium ones seem to be slightly oversized and dont seal propperly.When tested they seem fine but as soon as the boats running under full power they leak i know this because im having the same problem.Install an auto bailer to remove the water but id check just how good a fit your pipe is and change the o rings if theyre even slightly out o shape.If your o rings are leaking your also losing a bit of power.If your using an alluminium header? change it for a stainless steel one as these dont distort which could also be the problem.
Mart
Old 09-13-2010, 03:27 AM
Tundrahog

Water thru the pipe can't make its way to starboard side of the hull.?. BJ55 has drain plugs on port/starboard. Each side had water. Boat is stock except for M5 upgrade and relocated fuel tank.

I have new O rings and will replace them. No loss in power.?. I'll have her out again in a couple of days....test and tune....it never ends. Nothing but fun....haha.

R/C planes are cool...boats are fun.
Old 09-13-2010, 03:35 AM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your boats got drain holes in the rear of the rails like it should then yes water can make its way to starboard when turning but water should be able to drain to the keel in any boat so it can drain away through the auto bailer which shoulkd be as near to the vee as possible asuming its a vee hull lol.Just noticed its a cat lol so yea thats an odd one but i still doubt its the tube leaking when running,wheres the pump situated you sure its not leaking.