Community
Search
Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

XTM X-Crawler

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 10:09 PM
readster
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: XTM X-Crawler

got my xtm all put together pretty cool but you are right it does have some week points looking to upgrade the steering linkage mine came bent was able to fix but would like to find some that are a little longer so not as much threads are showing any suggestions whould be great whaet to take my beadlocks appart to trim foams and add weight to the front second screw in and it was stripped straight out of the box what kind of screws did you use as replacments fairtax ??? other than that i like the xtm very much also I am running 7.2 volt 5000mah 6 pack with an outcry duel motor esc w/ external turbo bec and I am getting about 5 hours run time amazing this is my second crawler I also have a 1/10 redcat rs10 with the same battery and only get about 1-1.5 hours run time quite the differance waiting for the stock esc to fale so I can upgrade tho the outcry it is friggin awsome
Old 01-29-2010, 05:30 PM
jsowens

It sounds a little unrealistic that you're getting 3.5-4 hours longer runtime on a 1/8 scale rig with an upgraded ESC than you are on a 1/10 scale rig with stock electronics on the exact same battery pack. I wouldn't think that simply upgrading an ESC will give you that much more run-time. On stock electronics and 13 turn cobalt motors I was getting roughly an hour of runtime on a RS10 on a 3300 mah 7.2v nimh battery...so if you're barely getting over an hour of runtime on your RS10 if it has stock motors and electronics on a higher mah battery than I'm running...something might be up.
Old 01-29-2010, 08:14 PM
FairTax4me

looking to upgrade the steering linkage mine came bent was able to fix but would like to find some that are a little longer
Go to Lowes and buy a few 1/4" x 3/4"steel roll pins. Trim them with a dremel so they fit between the drag link and the ball end. Remove the ball end and lock nut, slide the pin over the threaded rod, put some thread lock on the ends of the thread and put the ball end back on.
The screws I just used stainless steel socket head screws from a local fastener supply store.

Run time will vary greatly depending on what motors you use. I never tried to get a timed run out of mine. Twin 55T Novak crawler motors, and Novak rooster ESC I know I got at least 3 hours out of an EnerG 4600 6 cell pack. But that was broken up over 5 days or so. Every time I went out to drive it something else would break or bend! First it was the plastic servo horns that came with the Airtronics servos, got aluminum ones. Then the steering link on the front got bent up against the axle and it couldn't turn at all and stalled the servo. Then I rolled it down a 5 foot embankment and bent all kinds of other stuff including one of the sideplates, which prompted me to move the lower cross bars forward, ditch the lower skid plate and screw the outer links directly into the cross bars. And the last time I drove it the axle broke.
Anyway. If you run two 35T motors the run time will be about half what 55s will get you on the same battery.
Should also add that low efficiency motors will drag down run times as well. And so will steering servos. If the servos spend a lot of time stalled while driving they will chew up the battery quick.
Old 01-29-2010, 08:34 PM
FairTax4me

Should also mention Check out RCCrawler.com. They have a dedicated XTM section. Tons of good info there, including the spacer mod on the steering links.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:28 PM
readster

I have all my electronics on the lower skid plate and the battery on top the esc and reciever are nicly protected and the 6 pack clips in and holds nicely between the cross bars little top heavey but not to bad I only tip over when I go to vertical she falls thanks for the steering links
Old 01-29-2010, 09:36 PM
readster

I am running axial 55 turn in the xtm smoooth I think the bad run time on the rs10 is called cheap electronics the 5 hour run times on the xtm is not constant about 1.5- 2 hours at a time thinking of jumping up to bigger voltage batteries can go up to 14.4v trying to figure out a skid plate for the motor and axials the get beat up and it's a shame to have all those scratches
Old 01-29-2010, 11:41 PM
jsowens

Uhh...you said you got 1-1.5 hours of runtime on the RS10, which apparantly has stock electronics. I hardly consider that a bad runtime.
Old 01-30-2010, 03:35 PM
readster

no you are right it is not bad run time just not as good as the xtm is all I am saying it is hard to believe there is that much of a differance between the them