Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

HL Smoke System

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 04:05 PM
Killhammer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HL Smoke System

If you add a diodes into the circuit that would stop the fan from going backward.

Jeff
Old 08-31-2006, 04:48 PM
CreepingdeathRC

black smoke may be on the way.currently on working a small circuit board to time release of "black smoke" in porportion to engine rpm just working out the bugs so full on black comes on at full rpm. stay tuned
Old 08-31-2006, 05:29 PM
gorehound

Hi

Just took the batting out and reassembled as suggested earlier to see how much more smoke it would give before messing about with fans. Can just now see the keyboard again . All I can say is what a difference for such a little bit of wadding removal.

Cheers
Gorehound
Old 08-31-2006, 06:24 PM
Killhammer

My system is still run good infact I had to refill it. It seems to burn though the oil faster now.

Jeff
Old 08-31-2006, 06:37 PM
gorehound

I am not surprised it needs filling more often, it pumped out the smoke like a fog machine at a disco, made me cought a bit [:'(]. Not complaining though and I am toying with the idea of combining two into one bigger chamber with fans for my Stuart. Might be asking a bit much but it will be fun trying and I have a couple of spare ones.

Cheers
Gorehound
Old 08-31-2006, 11:57 PM
Harquebus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Pershing's smoke generator seems to run at the same pace as the main motors that drive the tank--the smoker "idles" when the tank idles, it just putters along, but also noticeably speeds up when the tank starts moving forward. Is that the case with everyone else's?
If so, using the same wiring from the smoker to power a PC fan might also give the blower/fan a proportional effect...

-Harq

ORIGINAL: gorehound

Hi guys

Just a question that might be stupid but I am more of a modeller than an RC person - I am new to RC and still learning. Would it be possible to rig the fan(s) onto the drive motors so the more throttle you give the more the fans pump. It would be more like the real thing then as the faster the engine turns the more exhaust fumes are chucked out.

Cheers
Gorehound
Old 09-01-2006, 12:15 AM
Harquebus

Black smoke is realistic but only on a Diesel tank, and only when the tank is accelerating under load. The Tiger I and Pershing, for instance, are both powered by gasoline engines.

But you're still in luck because typical black smoke from a petrol engine is caused by excess fuel that has entered the cylinder area and cannot be burned completely, i.e., "running rich." Poor fuel mileage is also a common complaint when black smoke comes out of the tailpipe. Black smoke out the tailpipe is the least cause for alarm. Some of the causes of excess fuel are a carburetor that is out of adjustment, a faulty fuel pump, a leaky fuel injector.

If you want to depict a tank that is suffering from neglect or lack of maintenance, go for the black smoke.
You could also try for blue smoke if your tank has been in service too long and is worn out. Blue smoke means that engine oil is entering the cylinders and being burned along with the fuel air mixture. You've probably blown a piston ring or some other gasket... Common on older or higher mileage cars (and tanks).

As for white smoke, it's also bad. I don't want to go there because this is already the color of the generator smoke.

Sorry to have bored you all with Basic Mechanics 101.

-Harq

ORIGINAL: digger1976

You seem to be very familiar with this. This maybe a silly question, but is it possible to get black smoke? It is already very realistic, but black smoke rock!
Old 02-04-2007, 02:22 AM
Kabul Tanker

Firstly, Harq... great observation.. I have to see if my Bulldog runs proportionally to the speed of the motor... hopefully, because if so you just saved me alot of time!!!

OK.. I am about to install a fan into a smoker for my bulldog. Before I do... has anyone tried removing only half of the batting to get longer life from the smoke solution rather than all of it?

THANKS

KT
Old 02-04-2007, 08:57 PM
Harquebus

Kabul Tanker:

That is what I did; I only removed half of the batting (or so) and left the part that was already neatly square shaped in the bottom of the reservoir. The rest of the batting was in clumps much like a loose cotton ball and was stuffed into the top of the reservoir, effectively clogging it. This extra batting in the bottom would seem to, as you've alluded, make the smoke oil last longer or slow down evaporation and keep it moving up to the heat element.

I too used a similar silicone based adhesive to reassemble the smoker; Plumber's Goop. Only thing I had on hand. Flexible but oh so strong.

-Harq
Old 02-15-2007, 06:53 AM
delche

Do know the mechanism as to which the unit generates smoke? Is there a small heated element that smokes when in contact with the oil?
Old 02-15-2007, 07:38 AM
tanktrack

Very impressive smoke machine .... just glad my car doesn't smoke like that
or it would be heading for the scrapyard
Old 02-16-2007, 12:17 AM
Harquebus

Do know the mechanism as to which the unit generates smoke? Is there a small heated element that smokes when in contact with the oil?
Exactly. There's a heated element, a wire that heats the oil and causes it to smoke. It burns it. And then there's the piston which continually pumps the smoke out of the exhausts pipes.

-HARQ
Old 02-16-2007, 12:20 AM
Kabul Tanker

Harq,

Have you tried wiring the smoker to the motors.. so when you speed up you get more smoke? Any suggestions?

I have seen one example but it was a special order board and not the stock HL.

thanks

KT
Old 02-16-2007, 12:26 AM
Harquebus

Unfortunately no, I haven't tried that. Not sure if that's where I want to take my tank, in regard to having a more realistic smoker.

There's a proportional smoke generator that Stern spoke of in an old thread, perhaps his long running one involving his Wittmann Tiger. I think it's a drop-in unit meant for HL tanks and sold by a German company.

-HARQ
Old 02-16-2007, 12:28 AM
Kabul Tanker

Harq, Ya that is the one I have seen... I might just start soldering wires and experiment... or use gator clips once I put my smoker together...

Thanks for getting back... I will post it... IF and WHEN it works.. haha

KT
Old 02-17-2007, 11:50 AM
Kabul Tanker

Killhammer...

OK I have taken your idea and am improving my smoker... I have a question for you though... When you remove the plunger mechanism there is a small hole in the smoker box where the air was pushed through... did you enlarge this?

KT