Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

TJ Failsafe Question

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

TJ Failsafe Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 06:20 AM
NickC5FE
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: TJ Failsafe Question

I have followed the instructions on the multiple installs i have used them on and it worked fine in all mine........

Tams product goo-fo-sho
Old 03-16-2011, 06:29 AM
ddlstang
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do know that when setting up using an 11x with the EV-5U gear unit that when I would turn the plane off and transmitter off while the gear was down, and then turning the system back on ( gear switch in down position ) the gear would cycle up and then down automatically. After re-binding with the gear DOWN it solved that issue, the gear will remain down after cycling power. Don't know if it translates to the Tam's unit or not but sounds familiar.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:31 AM
AFTERBURNER1
My Feedback: (80)

I will say that there is a programming issue if you are using a Fromeco d cup voltage capacitor. Make sure you have it unplugged from your system when you are binding. Other than that they have all worked per instructions. Great product and would not matter who manufactured it. I would have one in all of my jets.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:02 AM
Joe C
My Feedback: (23)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: AFTERBURNER1

I will say that there is a programming issue if you are using a Fromeco d cup voltage capacitor. Make sure you have it unplugged from your system when you are binding. Other than that they have all worked per instructions. Great product and would not matter who manufactured it. I would have one in all of my jets.
I agree with Doug, I have had issues with my gear when installing a D-cup in my jets, do exactly what Doug says, it will work.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:16 AM
AFTERBURNER1

ORIGINAL: Joe C

I agree with Doug, I have had issues with my gear when installing a D-cup in my jets, do exactly what Doug says, it will work.
Nimitz
Old 03-16-2011, 08:35 AM
Shaun Evans

ORIGINAL: NickC5FE

I have followed the instructions on the multiple installs i have used them on and it worked fine in all mine........

Tams product goo-fo-sho

Thanks, Nick! That was super helpful....

Struggling thespians should learn to not threaten individuals. It could be co$tly.

Well,

Yes, life is a constant struggle, but I'm happy to say that I manage to maintain my family of four without my wife having to work. We ain't rich by any stretch, but I can afford a few jets here and there, and we are able to all travel to Asia twice per year to visit family. Not bad for a "struggling thespian" single-income in my book.

I can't control what you perceive as a threat (which seems to be pretty much everything) but I will positively take you up on your offer and cease the 'internet' melee in favor of taking up this discussion in person the very next time I see you. You say you'll present with that mouth face-to-face? We'll sure see. That's no threat or tough-talk, it's just being a man and having the courage to own my words in person the same as from behind my keyboard. That's that, then.

So, can we talk about failsafe programming now? I don't have a capacitor in there or anything like that. It's bound per instructions with the gear 'up' so that the unit will be able to be reset by cycling the Rx off and on. The instructions make it sound like that's necessary with Spektrum. Like I said, everything is fine if you cycle the Rx power, but if you turn the Tx off and back on when you cycle the Rx batt, then you get the gear up command as it 'boots.' I can rebind it with the gear in the down position, but then if the failsafe activates, you can't reset it just by cycling the Rx power. That's the issue. It's not a diss or a slam or anything like that. It's a legitimate issue which I've already agreed is probably just 'user error.' Any actual help with this would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:38 AM
Shaun Evans

ORIGINAL: ddlstang

I do know that when setting up using an 11x with the EV-5U gear unit that when I would turn the plane off and transmitter off while the gear was down, and then turning the system back on ( gear switch in down position ) the gear would cycle up and then down automatically. After re-binding with the gear DOWN it solved that issue, the gear will remain down after cycling power. Don't know if it translates to the Tam's unit or not but sounds familiar.

Stang,

I am doing this with an 11X, and I did try that (binding with the gear down) too, but when you cycle the gear enough that the pressure falls below the programmed threshold and initiates the failsafe, you can't reset it simply by cycling the Rx power. It mentions that in the instructions and says that's why it has to be bound in the 'gear up' position?
Old 03-16-2011, 08:40 AM
Joe C
My Feedback: (23)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Shaun,
I know you have used these FS before, so maybe the unit is malfunctioning, send it back to the owner and have him send it back to Tam, I am sure Tam will either repair it or replace with a new one pending the unit is not working.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:44 AM
ddlstang

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like it might be working right, just have to make sure you have preassure before turning on the system[X(]. I hav'nt set one up with the fail safe yet but I of several with the same set-up and I guess there has'nt been any issues. I may try it on the F-4 and see what happens, same gear as in the F-22 ( I assume that's what your working on ).
Old 03-16-2011, 08:46 AM
tamjets

Exactly Joe......
The problem here might be just trolling for problem.
No phone call or email from anyone regard to this thread.....
So what is left.
Don't ***** about my service if you did ask for one.
Rant online is really help.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:53 AM
AFTERBURNER1

Wasn't talking about monetary stature with the "struggling thespian" post. Although you seemed to take it that way with your defensive reply.

Anytime you wish to chat "face to face" about your constant BASH-A-TAM posts is fine by me. I won't be losing any sleep over that.

In fact there are many individuals that I'm sure would love to listen in on that conversation.

Out
Old 03-16-2011, 08:58 AM
Shaun Evans

ORIGINAL: Joe C

Shaun,
I know you have used these FS before, so maybe the unit is malfunctioning, send it back to the owner and have him send it back to Tam, I am sure Tam will either repair it or replace with a new one pending the unit is not working.

Joe,

Thanks. Actually, this is my first experience with one. From what I've described, you think it might be a bum unit? That's easy if it is. Funny enough, I just sold two of these off to guys on RCU. I wish I'd run into this earlier, and I would have swapped it out to see if I could isolate the problem to the unit. Thing is, I don't think it's malfunctioning. Let me get this straight: On yours, you're using it with 2.4 and you bound it with the gear UP, right? When you power your system on, your gear don't go to their bound position during that couple of seconds of boot-up? In this case, gear up?
Old 03-16-2011, 09:01 AM
Shaun Evans

Anytime you wish to chat ''face to face'' about your constant BASH-A-TAM posts is fine by me. I won't be losing any sleep over that.

In fact there are many individuals that I'm sure would love to listen in on that conversation.

Out

FAIR ENOUGH, and you have a deal. Shall we call this 'tabled' until then? If so, you sound like you have extensive experience with this unit, so besides the capacitor issue, any ideas what I might be doing wrong?
Old 03-16-2011, 09:05 AM
Shaun Evans

ORIGINAL: tamjets

Exactly Joe......
So what is left.

No Tam,

The problem here is what I said it was. Do you have any advice or help to offer or not? I'd hardly call the original post a RANT. It was more like a request for help (which you could certainly have responded to with help) on a forum that was designed for precisely this kind of peer-to-peer help. You might reflect that in that original post, I wrote that it was most likely user error. I'll be at the shop later, and I'll shoot a short video of the problem. That way, you can dismiss the 'trolling' theory, SEE what I'm talking about and possibly help with your product?
Old 03-16-2011, 09:26 AM
siclick33

Shaun,

Can you confirm what you have done? Have you re-programmed the failsafe AFTER you've bound the gear in the 'up' position or have you programmed it once and then re-bound in different positions? What position is the gear switch in when you cycle the TX power?

Old 03-16-2011, 09:43 AM
tamjets

ORIGINAL: YellowAircraft

ORIGINAL: tamjets

Exactly Joe......
So what is left.

No Tam,

The problem here is what I said it was. Do you have any advice or help to offer or not? I'd hardly call the original post a RANT. It was more like a request for help (which you could certainly have responded to with help) on a forum that was designed for precisely this kind of peer-to-peer help. You might reflect that in that original post, I wrote that it was most likely user error. I'll be at the shop later, and I'll shoot a short video of the problem. That way, you can dismiss the 'trolling' theory, SEE what I'm talking about and possibly help with your product?
Many had post exactly how to program it and re-program if you screw up.
All these gear fail going through double QC standard. Software never had any problem. Maybe hardware one out of 300. User screw up once a while didn't do it right and send back for service. I find they either hook up the servo lead at wrong location or they fat figure not press the button right.
My email or office phone is availble for service. It would be easy just do what normal peoples would do.
Call and email for service.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:53 AM
Shaun Evans

ORIGINAL: siclick33

Shaun,

Can you confirm what you have done? Have you re-programmed the failsafe AFTER you've bound the gear in the 'up' position or have you programmed it once and then re-bound in different positions? What position is the gear switch in when you cycle the TX power?

Hi,

Yes, I've reprogrammed after binding in up position. That was the latest. I programmed at first when it was bound in the down position, but ran into the no-reset that the instructions talk about. I rebound the system with the gear in the up position, and now I can reset the failsafe by switching off the Rx power, but when I turn the Tx off then back on, the gear up command happens during that 1-2 second boot-up.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:56 AM
Shaun Evans

Joe,

Sent you a PM.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:12 AM
tamjets

ORIGINAL: YellowAircraft

Shaun,

Hi,

Yes, I've reprogrammed after binding in up position. That was the latest. I programmed at first when it was bound in the down position, but ran into the no-reset that the instructions talk about. I rebound the system with the gear in the up position, and now I can reset the failsafe by switching off the Rx power, but when I turn the Tx off then back on, the gear up command happens during that 1-2 second boot-up.
Did you hold the button on gear failsafe to program while turn on the TX?
Old 03-16-2011, 10:15 AM
siclick33

It sounds like it might be working as it should. What happens if you try the same test with the failsafe bypassed (e.g. servo plugged straight into RX)? I wonder if the same thing happens and it is a radio issue and not related to the failsafe.
Old 03-16-2011, 11:10 AM
Eddie P
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Shaun, have you come to a solution yet?

In my A-4 I have a TJ gear failsafe. I'm using a Futaba 2.4 and noticed that every time I turned the RX on, I would get a slight bump in the gear retraction servo that did a few strange things that was not related to the fail safe itself. I replaced the analog retract servo with a digital servo - problem fixed. All the searching around (when trying to find out what the deal was) did uncover one item that caused me a little confusion however, and Tam gave me the background info on it when he overheard me ask someone at a previous jet rally a few years ago. It turns out I bought my TJ Failsafe really early on in the product release, and I have Version 1. With Version 1, once the Failsafe is activated (it looks for low pressure) - if you turn your jet on before you fill the gear tanks with air it "remains triggered" so as to keep the servo in the "extend gear" position, even if you now have good tank/line pressure. So you have to cycle the aircraft receiver on and off to re set the failsafe with the old version. I've never seen the TJ failsafe do anything at all to command gear up. In the versions released a few months after the initial batch, this was updated in the firmware so that you can turn on your jet and then fill the tanks and it works by actively monitoring the pressure in the lines. Tam offered to upgrade my failsafe for free but I can't be bothered to take it out of the model, I am lazy this way!! And really, as long as I know what the deal is I just alter my setup procedure.

So in any event, I suspect the issue here is a servo issue (analog or digital working with 2.4) and NOT a TJ Failsafe issue. If you had V1, the only thing I could see would be a command down and not allowing a command up to the retract servo. I've never heard of a TJ Failsafe commanding gear up, it's designed only to put gear down. And as long as it is tasting so that it is putting gear down when you lose air pressure (I assume you already tested that feature) then I strongly suspect your radio/servo/programming or binding interface.
Old 03-16-2011, 12:12 PM
Shaun Evans

It sounds like it might be working as it should. What happens if you try the same test with the failsafe bypassed (e.g. servo plugged straight into RX)? I wonder if the same thing happens and it is a radio issue and not related to the failsafe.

Hi,

Yep, I had everything working fine with analog gear servos before I installed the FS. At that time, it was bound in the gear down position and the servo stays that way when the radio is booting up. The FS instructions instruct you to bind the radio in the gear up position in order to allow for resetting of the FS by cycling the Rx power. Apparently, that's a by-product of the unit firmware working with Spek. Since everyone flies 2.4 these days, I figured there's a step I'm missing or a fix as yet unknown to me since I don't see people having to hold their planes off of the ground to turn on the Tx.
Old 03-16-2011, 12:19 PM
Shaun Evans

ORIGINAL: Eddie P

Shaun, have you come to a solution yet?

In my A-4 I have a TJ gear failsafe. I'm using a Futaba 2.4 and noticed that every time I turned the RX on, I would get a slight bump in the gear retraction servo that did a few strange things that was not related to the fail safe itself. I replaced the analog retract servo with a digital servo - problem fixed. All the searching around (when trying to find out what the deal was) did uncover one item that caused me a little confusion however, and Tam gave me the background info on it when he overheard me ask someone at a previous jet rally a few years ago. It turns out I bought my TJ Failsafe really early on in the product release, and I have Version 1. With Version 1, once the Failsafe is activated (it looks for low pressure) - if you turn your jet on before you fill the gear tanks with air it ''remains triggered'' so as to keep the servo in the ''extend gear'' position, even if you now have good tank/line pressure. So you have to cycle the aircraft receiver on and off to re set the failsafe with the old version. I've never seen the TJ failsafe do anything at all to command gear up. In the versions released a few months after the initial batch, this was updated in the firmware so that you can turn on your jet and then fill the tanks and it works by actively monitoring the pressure in the lines. Tam offered to upgrade my failsafe for free but I can't be bothered to take it out of the model, I am lazy this way!! And really, as long as I know what the deal is I just alter my setup procedure.

So in any event, I suspect the issue here is a servo issue (analog or digital working with 2.4) and NOT a TJ Failsafe issue. If you had V1, the only thing I could see would be a command down and not allowing a command up to the retract servo. I've never heard of a TJ Failsafe commanding gear up, it's designed only to put gear down. And as long as it is tasting so that it is putting gear down when you lose air pressure (I assume you already tested that feature) then I strongly suspect your radio/servo/programming or binding interface.

Hi,

No, not yet. When I programmed it originally, it was with the preset binding (gear down). When I was 'playing with it' and cycled the gear enough times to get the unit to activate at the 50 psi setting, I couldn't reset the unit out of failsafe mode. That's what prompted me to read the rest of the instructions where it talks about that. I've reprogrammed it several different ways since then, but in every case, the last button-push (for the pressure threshold setting) was either at 50 or 60 psi. I doubt if this is an old unit since my customer sent it directly to me very recently. The original ones (again, I'm assuming) were before the days of widespread 2.4 use, and this one has the language in the literature. Mine (which I just sold) did not have that, so perhaps they were older.

I'm also assuming that the FS is dealing only with the Rx and the air pressure (as far as the electronic 'thinking' is concerned), and not necessarily with the servo. If this is true, then the type of servo shouldn't matter. If it's not true, though, do you think the analog servo could be part of the issue? As I said, I'd really like to deliver this jet with everything solidly ready-to-fly. If this is all working correctly, then it's all good. I'll just remember to keep the jet on the stand when I turn the Tx for the first time. I'm only going to be dealing with this for a trim flight, but if there is something I'm doing wrong, I don't want to deliver it to the customer that way.
Old 03-16-2011, 12:49 PM
tamjets

The V.2 firmware only change is Spektrum need to bind gear up position before install and program gear failsafe. This triggle the failsafe mode not allow the gear to retract while turning on the Rx with the Tx with gear up switch.
Also had the feather unlock the failsafe mode if the pressure above the setting.
Many had Futaba 2.4 work fine for them too.
The V.1 firmware work just fine. It just don't have the unlock failsafe mode.

So now the question is? Is the gear failsafe able to pro-gram and the LED blinking when you hold the button down while turn it on?
If it yes....
It not the gear failsafe problem.
Firmware either works or doesn't work. No in between.
If it not working. You can't do any program.
Hardware problem when everything works. The servo might acting weird or getting hot.
That is one the compoment in the circus board goes bad. I only see two of these unit return for that problem.
I had see firmware been erase not working at all, bad compoment make servo acting weird and LED burn out.
Other than that.
The firmware is very simple design and there is no complex to screw it up.
Old 03-16-2011, 12:53 PM
siclick33

The FS instructions instruct you to bind the radio in the gear up position in order to allow for resetting of the FS by cycling the Rx power.
I don't see this but maybe I have older instructions. I believe the reason for this is to enable correct operation of para 1 below and that's all. The FS doesn't need to be reset by turning off the RX (but can be if you have disarmed it by pressing the button). If the failsafe has activated by depleting the pressure below your set level then all you need to do is pump it up to 25 above this to re-arm the failsafe (e.g. 75 PSI if your FS is set at 50 PSI).

The unit is quite simple and it seems that there is some confusion going on with what you think it should be doing (apologies if I'm wrong). There are 2 main separate things that the unit does:

1) Prevents you turning on the Rx with the TX gear switch up. It does this by waiting for a gear down signal after you turn the RX on. After this has occurred then the unit simply passes the RX signal through to the servo. If you turn the TX off and on and a transitory 'up' signal occurs during the reconnection then the failsafe doesn't know if it was a radio failsafe event input or if you selected the gear up with the switch. It will therefore command the gear to whatever signal it receives from the RX.

2) Monitors pressure and prevents gear being raised (or lowers gear) if pressure drops below a certain limit.

This doesn't really help your problem but it seems like there is a little confusion of how the unit operates which might not be helping. I guess it's possible that there is a problem with the unit but I think it is most likely just needs a complete re-program from scratch and a top-up of air. I guess there is a possibility that your particular RX/servo combination is causing some kind of compatability problem but I'm not sure how likely that is. As an aside, I am using mine with FASST and an analogue servo and it worked first time and has already saved my model on at least 2 occasions.

Sorry if any of this sounds patronising. It's not meant to be - I'm just trying to help[sm=thumbs_up.gif]

Tam, please correct me if I'm talking rubbish

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.