Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Ultra Flash vs Classic Flash

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Ultra Flash vs Classic Flash

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 09:49 AM
quist
My Feedback: (198)

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Ultra Flash vs Classic Flash

This is a stupid discussion to have in a public forum.
Old 03-23-2012, 10:47 AM
RCISFUN
My Feedback: (44)

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

ORIGINAL: quist

This is a stupid discussion to have in a public forum.
Agreed.... let's tell the world how much faster than the allowed limits you are flying at[:@][:'(][&o]

Also agree with the guys who stated you can't go wrong with either one, just remember to add crow and it will almost land itself!

BTW, I like the tip tanks, it was the perfect place for my 5W Luxon emitters

They stand out even in full sun shine
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37432.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	146.0 KB
ID:	1741793  
Old 03-23-2012, 11:05 AM
Bostonu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rich,

I have the same scheme and Flash. I also like the tip tanks.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:16 AM
IFlyEm35
My Feedback: (5)

One thing to keep in mind in you guys are talking groundspeed. A downwind pass is going to be 40 mph different than on upwind pass in a 20 mph wind.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:53 AM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

I just have the Classic Flash, and LOVE it!! I had a P-120sx, but just up graded to an EVo160vx, and much happier with the engine and the jet. This is at Cape Coral's Gathering of the Giants 2012 just last weekend. Go for a ride...you will see a Cuban 8, Blender's, Inverted Flat spins, Knife edge, and other manuvers. Hope you enjoy! Dan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUJWTUDsM5o
Old 03-23-2012, 01:37 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: SinCityJets

John,

We've done plenty of tests with real radar guns head on (not from the side and getting erred, erroniously high numbers due to the Cosine Efect http://www.copradar.com/preview/chapt2/ch2d1.html)

I believe you received readings of 275, we're just saying they weren't correct with the engine stated.

Chad
The cosine effect causes the radar gun to register lower speeds not higher.
Old 03-23-2012, 03:43 PM
indubitably
My Feedback: (14)

Edited
Old 03-23-2012, 03:53 PM
indubitably

Edited
Old 03-23-2012, 05:10 PM
Bostonu

I also have an evojet 160 vx. Where do you have your throttle response? Mine is set at 3 seconds. Just checkin
Old 03-23-2012, 06:21 PM
InboundLZ

John,

I know exactly how fast I am going. Don't play me a fool. Frankly, I could care less how fast your flash is or how you get 10 minute flights at full tilt or whatever....all I am saying is if someone is asking a sincere question to get data so as to make a decision on what to buy, they should be given accurate data.

I have pictures too, big deal. I know what my real world experience shows me and MANY people here agree with my position. The original question was never about speed but you seem to want to bring it up, this is not the first time. All I know if the internet is forever, I hope for your sake somebody does not get hurt and then finds your post...it would get ugly really fast! Be it as it may, I am done with the argument. We can just agree to disagree.

@Tony, you are right and I should have never got drawn into the discussion in the first place.

Now, I am off to ride my 300MPH Goldwing....
Old 03-23-2012, 06:30 PM
InboundLZ

I also have an evojet 160 vx. Where do you have your throttle response? Mine is set at 3 seconds. Just checkin
I have mine at 3 seconds as well, throttle is set to "soft". On the classic I wrench on the throttle is set to 3.8 seconds...every install will be a little different.....
Old 03-23-2012, 08:56 PM
AFTERBURNER1
My Feedback: (80)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

275 with a 120???? Oh heeeeeelllllllllllll no.
Old 03-24-2012, 03:06 AM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

I have it set to the "Soft" setting, and on my F-18, I use the "hard" setting and 123K revolutions or the 36# of thrust. I am ready to step the Flash up to 36# of thrust.
Old 03-24-2012, 07:52 AM
ozief16
My Feedback: (13)

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts

Back to the original question:

I've had both a classic (69 flts and sold, doh!) and an ultra (45 flts and counting). I love them both, but for different reasons.

Someone mentioned the classic flying/landing like an IMAC plane...no big surprise there as it is essentially an IMAC wing on the CF. if I understand the story correctly, CARF built a jet around their G202 wing and called it the lightning. They then scaled it down and called it a flash (classic). A buddy of mine that was a big IMAC guy got his waiver on my classic and was out flying routines on his first flight (with almost no fast plane experience to speak of). His landings were great (yes, he's an above avg pilot, but it speaks to the jet as well). Their is a rather tremendous amount of coupling in knife edge with the classic that is a bugger to get mixed out(or manually correct for), and even then you are holding corrections. The super nose high landings are awesome to watch/execute as well. The other very cool thing about a classic is that you can come ripping in at a good clip (at least 350 with a P80 (SE of course) and just haul the elevator into your lap. The Plane completes a 180 in about a 100' radius and is going the opposite direction going just as fast as it entered it. I have no idea what this does to your turbine bearings but an it's cool! I tried that with my UF and it performed a complete snap and continued on in it's original direction (remember, this is bordering on pure abuse of the plane, so I'm not complaining, just mentioning the difference). That caught me by total surprise! The other cool thing about the classic is that it fit into the bed of my truck with the wings on. The tip tanks also make a very easy handhold. Stupid to say, but super nice to just leave it assembled.

The Ultra on the other hand is about the most true, honest, awesome plane you can imagine. It tracks perfectly, rolls true, and requires almost zero mixing/ail or elevator on a knife edge pass. I literally have less than 6-9% of anything mixed in and I can hold KE from end to end while holding my tx up in my left hand just leaning on the rudder. After having both, I can say that the UF is faster, it takes less throttle to maintain speed, holds energy better, and is far more slippery on landing (Los of flap and crow make this easy to handle). I've had three flameouts in my ultra due to some fuel system issues and have been super surprised every time by the energy the plane carries. One was close to a mile out on the backside of a loop (guessing 400') and semi fast. I pointed straight back for the field and arrived with enough energy for another complete 360 before landing and still fought to prevent rolling off the end of the runway.

Bottita is spot on with the gear. I had the Dreamworks in my classic and the behotec in the ultra. I far prefer the Dreamworks. Obviously it's opinion, but I truly dislike those 6mm pins. I know there is an 8mm conversion, I just haven't done it yet (totally my error, Peter has been great). I think the behotec struts are nicer, but the strut/gear interface on the DW reigns. My Cf was rock solid on the ground. Yu set it down and you could HONK on the brakes if need be and it'd roll straight. The UF on the other hand is stupidly squirrely with any brake applied. I'm now 95% convinced it's the result of the stock nose wheel. It was smooth, hard and had almost no tread. I'm thinking with a better tire (Bvm installed, not tested yet) it may pin the nose rather than allowing it to slide...more to follow

Also, of note, the UF has a much further aft CG than the CF. what does that mean to you? If you're trying to figure out gear placement, don't ask a buddy with the other Flash as they are totally different.

A couple years ago Chad (Sincityjets) told me that a Flash would be my next plane. I blew it off as his Splash had to be in competition for the WUJ (Worlds Ugliest Jet). I've now owned two and see his Splash in a different light.

Hope this helps

Dave
Old 03-24-2012, 09:07 AM
AFTERBURNER1

Dump the stock nose wheel.. Drill out an intarico or BV wheel to 8mm and your problem will be solved.
Old 03-24-2012, 10:37 AM
Race21
My Feedback: (20)

ORIGINAL: ozief16

A couple years ago Chad (Sincityjets) told me that a Flash would be my next plane. I blew it off as his Splash had to be in competition for the WUJ (Worlds Ugliest Jet). I've now owned two and see his Splash in a different light.

Hope this helps

Dave

A face only a mother could love.....

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57978.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	152.3 KB
ID:	1742117  
Old 03-24-2012, 10:49 AM
AFTERBURNER1

Ha ha,,, my buddy built that thing!
Old 03-24-2012, 10:52 AM
InboundLZ

And I rebuilt it!!!!
Old 03-24-2012, 11:22 AM
Race21
My Feedback: (20)

And I'm contemplating repainting it. [&o]
Old 03-24-2012, 11:41 AM
SinCityJets

That's would be a SIN!!!
Old 03-24-2012, 01:32 PM
ozief16
My Feedback: (13)

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts

Ahh, the Splash! I hate to say it Chad, but you were right!

Dave
Old 03-24-2012, 06:28 PM
indubitably

Edited
Old 03-24-2012, 06:43 PM
quist
My Feedback: (198)

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Your pilot called me today. (old friend from IMAC and pattern) He said you were getting 42lbs of thrust out of your 120sx. 160sx wont do that. How many rpms are you running that engine at?
Old 03-24-2012, 07:17 PM
seflyer
My Feedback: (12)

Now Dave, I have 10 years of Goldwing experience and have yet to see a 300 MPH GL1800, I believe that kind of speed was possibly an option on a limited few Blue wings, but they are pretty rare and fair and fetch quite a price in the used market. definitely not a CA option.

Kevin
Old 03-24-2012, 07:23 PM
InboundLZ

As luck would have it mine IS Blue and not a Califorina version....

'05 109,000 miles....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.