Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

100mph Monster????

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2006, 01:24 PM
-Inverted-

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 100mph Monster????

A 1/12 pan car made entirely of carbon fiber, with a brushless system running lithium polymer cells would work.
Old 04-02-2006, 01:50 PM
fast_stangs

Whats the most top speed of a buggy that you guys know of....I know RedCat claims there XP will run 80+ mph....Maybe I might go with a buggy build up??? I know a buggy would have to be more aerodynamic and lighter....Also they tend to have more open room to swap out a bigger engine....

I'm not for sure yet but I am looking so if any of you guys has a Nitro buggy or Truck (probably stadium trucks) That doesn't have a motor or is blown up thats in good condition and is close to being completly stock....Would like for it to have the servos and reciver controller is not a big deal I got a few....

I am interested so send me a message and some Pics and I'll check it out.....Please dont post them on this topic due to there will be 50 people posting just trying to sell me a truck and it will impossible to talk about the real subject at hand.....

Thanks alot guys....
Old 04-02-2006, 02:04 PM
-Inverted-

Your going to need a touring car to reach 100 mph
Old 04-02-2006, 02:06 PM
a j o e l v a r d y

you could maby get vloser with that NOS fot rc: http://www.nitrousexpress.com/Pages/rc_n2o.htm

but I don't know much about it
Old 04-02-2006, 11:27 PM
The Stig

ORIGINAL: Roy Dietsch

weight has nothing to do with top speed. its all areo

Roy

LOLOL that is the funniest thing I've read all day
Old 04-03-2006, 04:13 PM
speedracer1129

you can definately push an older hpi belt drive over 100! we have been doing it for some time now
Old 04-04-2006, 08:52 AM
forwheeldrift

ORIGINAL: Ghostrider80

Weight has slowed top speed since car racing started , why do you think their are so few cars in the world that can go over 200mph ? Simple once the car hits the air pressure and the aerodynamics take full affect the drag triples the cars weight , although on this scale i think aerodynamics will make very little difference and it will have more to do with pure engine power and the size of the wheels , smaller the bettrer.
aerodynamics has every thing to do with top speed, even with rc cars & trucks...do a test ,run your car or truck with a full body,then cut out the tail end of the body,& run the car ,then cut out the windows, run the car , then take the body off the car & run it, you will get diffrent speeds with each test.....the slowest being with out the body. you guys need to understand rc cars & trucks are governed bye the same phisics as real cars.
Old 04-04-2006, 08:53 AM
forwheeldrift

ORIGINAL: The Stig

ORIGINAL: Roy Dietsch

weight has nothing to do with top speed. its all areo

Roy

LOLOL that is the funniest thing I've read all day
watch top gear much?? stig
Old 04-04-2006, 01:42 PM
RCDAD2

Fast Stangs dont let them talk you out of trying after all look in RL we have monster trucks that CAN do 100+mph & the ability to jump 737 aircraft

They all talk about areo ...yes it matters BUT so does HP & torque...race engineers dont just spend millions on areo packages they ALSO spend millions on dyno testing and engine R&D

BUT on a side note you will want to LOWER the MT suspension ALOT since the new 3.3 in a Jato its a 60mph+ monster and flips on its lid if it gets to much air under it...SO adding a front air dam to get the nose down and small tail fin as well to help lower the rear...but as i learned along time ago for every pound of drag on the car you need 2 pounds of torque meaning more hp out of the engine its a vicious circle

I hope you do manage to make a 100mph truck to me the biggest thing is when somebody says it cant be done it just motivates me MORE

Actually a FEW more idea's for ya maybe even take the suspension to its lowest setting possible...get a few sheets of lexan and fabricate your own body to help cover the tires and lessen the overall drag and increase the areo at the same time (just expand the sides out over the wheels & the noose out in front of the wheels)

Have fun and GOOD LUCK
Old 04-04-2006, 02:34 PM
stevensj

yea he said monster truck tho, the jato is a stadium truck, it's half the weight, and you can gear it a lot higher, and you don't have the 4wd to worry about.
Old 04-04-2006, 07:39 PM
-Inverted-

Woah Woahhhh hold on a second here. Since when was it decided you could lower the truck. Im sorry but I don't consider it a monster truck anymore if you lower it, at least that was my perspective.
Old 04-04-2006, 09:39 PM
TheTick

Well...it's clear that some of you disagree, but a little extra weight does not effect top speed as much as you think it might. If you take identical cars and add a couple hundred pounds to one of them...the top speeds in a straight line will be very similar. The heavier car will be slowed a bit by the extra friction on the bearings and ground, but I would bet that it's not more than a couple percent slower. As for acceleration....weight is a huge factor.

I think a 100mph monster truck would be a neat project. I have no clue if the nitro engine you are using can put out enough power to go that fast, assuming you could even control it at that speed. a 50mph truck needs about quadruple the power to hit 100 (with the same gearing). Maybe some of the nitro experts can chime in. You might be forced to go electric.
Old 04-04-2006, 10:41 PM
R/C fan-addict

what I think would be fun would be a quad motor brushless emaxx! If you have four 5S 1000mah (for light weight) lipo packs (one per ESC) and hook up (ESC: http://www.rc-monster.com/proddetail...troller&cat=21 ) and each ESC would be hooked up to one of these motors: http://www.rc-monster.com/proddetail...LMT1950&cat=20

Get the gorilla maxx CF chassis w/ extension, suspension system, and single speed transmission then take out the shifting servo and steering servo (mount the front turnbuckles onto something solid) then put some wabash wheels and foam tires a high downforce body with wing and front air dam. Then lower the shocks may down and install only 4 shocks. Take off the bumpers and skids. Then basically put the emaxx on atkins for a while. Get a huge open space and if you're lucky then you'll get that nice one zero zero with a monster truck!
Old 04-04-2006, 10:49 PM
jdmkyosho
Banned

Put the rc car in your real car. Go on the freeway and hit a 100 in your car with the rc monster truck in it
Old 04-05-2006, 10:47 AM
nitromacguyver

the best way that i would think of to do it would be with a 1/8 on road car. they will top 80 easy in race trim. play with the aero and gearing a bit and you could probably push it to over 100. also, an engine that can make torque at high rpms is a must!
Old 04-06-2006, 04:07 AM
griz11

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No way a MT is going to go 100 mph those big tires would be done way before that. R/C top fuel dragsters get close to 100mph in 132 ft. 94.6 being the fastest run on our track. You might get some of the 200mm cars to go 100mph but it would have to be some custom parts made and if a puff of wind hit it might be all over. Our rear tires grow so the car is constantly changing gears as it goes toward the traps. The more able the car is to pull a tall tire the bigger the tire gets. Its a nice little transmission if you think about it. You have to get as much mass out as you can from the rotating parts of the car to hit these kind of speeds. The MT transmission and drive train eat up too much power. The big heavy wheels and tires eat up a bunch more. Even with the biggest nitro MT engine out there the power to weight ratio and the amount of rotating mass will make it fall short. The R/C top fuel cars hold their own though. 0-60 in about a second They will outrun a real top fuel car for around 50 feet. Almost half our 1:10 scale track. These cars weigh 44oz minimum and are powered by .21 modified on-road engines. Not much else to them a micro servo in front for steering a regular sized servo for thrrottle and brakes and a tiny fuel tank is about it. I think someone will break 100mph in one of the dragster classes this year. Probably Extreme Unlimited class. One of those 21 cell powered rails went 98.8mph last year in 132 ft. The electrics are the fastest right now but a new wave of extreme nitro cars are running this year. If you put a taller gear in a top fuel car no telling how fast it would go. We gear them to top out the engine in 132 ft and that is pretty low. I figure maybe 150 with the right gearing and a 300 or more ft run. If you want to go 100mph get a top fuel car.

Griz
Old 04-06-2006, 04:35 AM
Schmernst
My Feedback: (2)

nitromacguyver THat is the funniest profile animation i've ever seen! did you make it? Anyways for the 100 mph monster truck. You never specified which scale. If you can fit a lehner brushless motor into a mini LST or a mini quake, SOMEHOW make it so its drivetrain can handle it, and drive it on the flattest surface you can find (for handling) you would probably have a chance of coming near your goal
Old 04-06-2006, 07:54 AM
gerwen

Griz11:
Got any video of those dragsters?
Old 04-06-2006, 08:20 AM
Midget

ORIGINAL: jdmkyosho

Put the rc car in your real car. Go on the freeway and hit a 100 in your car with the rc monster truck in it
Falls of chair
Old 04-06-2006, 10:10 AM
-Inverted-

SOMEHOW make it so its drivetrain can handle it, and drive it on the flattest surface you can find (for handling) you would probably have a chance of coming near your goal
I own a mini lst....there is NO WAY that thing will go 100mph, even if it was converted to a 540 brushless system. Theres other variables to speed then throwing in a bigger motor. The 370 size lehner wont get even half of 100mph.
Old 04-06-2006, 12:26 PM
stevensj

i guess it's a possibility to do it if you custom built like a 1/4 scale truck, and put a small snowmobile engine in it??? Would be a lot of fabrication.
Old 04-06-2006, 05:44 PM
Schmernst

Yeah, just try to go for insane power to weight ration. I was just thinking the easiest way to start would be with a smaller vehicle.
Old 04-06-2006, 08:26 PM
michelob78

The fastest truck I saw run was a Schumacher Menace, it was stupid fast. The thing was not even close to stable, at speed it would just tumble all over the place breaking parts the whole way. The guy that has it doesn't even run it anymore. Trucks are tough to get that fast, possible yes, probable no, unless you just put a truck body on a 1:12 pan car or touring car. JMHO.
Old 04-08-2006, 07:12 PM
fast_stangs

Thanks for all the input guys...Been a fun topic to talk about and gonna be a even more fun project to try...Haven't decided exactly what I'm gonna use yet but definatly gonna push on with the project...I'll keep you guys updated with info....Thanks alot...
Old 04-09-2006, 06:07 AM
Schmernst

Thats the spririt!! Good luck!