Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Any jet crash with Futaba FASST system ?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Any jet crash with Futaba FASST system ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 04:52 PM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts
Default RE: Any jet crash with Futaba FASST system ?

ORIGINAL: GSR

Not to joke this time, but in reality what is the ratio of FAAST flights to spektrum/JR 2.4 flights? I can honestly say that I have only seen ONE Futaba 2.4 flight in the last three months and many hundreds of Spektrum/JR flights. I dont know the ratios in other parts of the country but out here it is easily 10:1 so of course there will be less FAAST crashes. Lets ask the original post question in a year when (or if) FAAST matches the number of in air hours. I agree that the frequency hopping system does appear to be better, but lets wait. Scott
Actually, I've seen (and done) many, many FASST flights. I don't know why you haven't seen more FASST usage, but perhaps its the group you fly with. The usage of FASST among general flyers as well as jet flyers is much higher than you've seen so far. While the absolute number of Spektrum flights is higher, I believe that will change. Perhaps not in the jet community right away, but with one 14 channel, two 12 channel, and one 10 channel radios available on a superior RF link (and for less $'s), I think you'll see more and more converts in the jet community to Futaba as well. JR got the majority of jet flyers originally because they had the only 10-channel game in town, but that's changed now and so will the mix of Futaba vs. JR in jets...
Old 06-16-2008, 04:58 PM
rhklenke

ORIGINAL: Yann

There's been one crash here in France that I heard of (12 FGA/FASST). It happened to the club next door. I talked to the unfortunate pilot/owner last week end.
He told me he was flying his feibao F18 way too far and as he lost total control of the plane, he figured out (a little too late) that he was having his antenna pointing towards his plane. Lesson learned.
While I would not recommend flying with the antenna pointed directly towards the airplane, I'm not buying the "antenna pointed at the model" theory of that crash. I flew a UAV out to 3500' on FASST with a 2.4 GHz radio modem onboard and never missed a beat. The antenna was straight out of the TX and it was often pointed directly at the aircraft.

I'd go with the "lost orientation" call on that one before I'd blame the radio...

Bob
Old 06-16-2008, 06:11 PM
GrayUK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: sweetpea01

Sorry for any confusion.........FASST came out to the R/C community after Spektrum/JR. It really doesn't matter how long it was patented or in the hands of other users. This is about R/C.

I also guess I should clarify.......I should not have said Futaba learned from Spektrum/JR.......but that FASST users (the general R/C public) learned from the mistakes that other 2.4 companies that had products avail to the R/C community first.

Is that clear enough?

I still wouldn't say FASST is superior to Spektrum/JR........just a different way to skin the cat. They both work and they will both fail.
Yes that is true, they were later than Spektrum, but they did not need to learn from them.
The 2 systems do not offer assistance of knowledge to the other.
I (IMHO) would say that FASST is far better than Spektrum, for many reason outlined before.
With regard to the number of FASST v Spektrum flights, in the UK FASST is very strong, and getting stronger, i think before long it will be #1.

Paul
Paul
Old 06-16-2008, 07:02 PM
Ehab
My Feedback: (44)

ORIGINAL: ravill

Yes, "Bahtman"!!! I know what you like the taste of!![sm=idea.gif]

Raf

I will be using Fasst in my next project here in the US!
Old 06-17-2008, 12:53 AM
dubd

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ehab, let's see the maiden of your next project this weekend!
Old 06-17-2008, 01:07 AM
Flyfalcons

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wasn't Futaba's 2.4 system in use in industrial applications and RC cars before Spektrum was conceived in the back of a VW Beetle on Lover's Lane?
Old 06-17-2008, 02:10 AM
SDCrashmaster

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Flyfalcons

Wasn't Futaba's 2.4 system in use in industrial applications and RC cars before Spektrum was conceived in the back of a VW Beetle on Lover's Lane?
I didn't know Paul Beard had a V Dub?
Old 06-17-2008, 05:23 AM
rolsen12

I have about a dozen flights due to bad weather.
Can't make it fail.
Old 06-17-2008, 11:22 AM
MAX NITRO
My Feedback: (1)

All of the guy's in my group here in Perth Western Australia use FASST, many flights in carbon frame 3D helicopters AND Jets, NO ISSUES whatsoever. and yes it does get HOT here, very very HOT!
there are however some others that use XPS, to which i have known of 2 crashes and spectrum which i have seen 1 crash in a heli and lockouts in a jet. the ratio of FASST to spectrum/xps would be approx 8:1
Old 06-18-2008, 03:57 PM
dribbe

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-P...S=PN/6,142,392

A fuel injector patent from Toyota covers FHSS 2.4ghz????

Hmmmmm....

In real time (fast response) hobby industry marketed 2.4ghz technology, Spektrum technology was first, by a large margin. I hope we can agree on that.

David
Old 06-19-2008, 07:42 AM
GrayUK

Sorry, i dont get it?
Date on patent November 7th 2000
Date on Futaba Patent October 2000.

So if you just want to go by that then Futaba wins!

Also i can not see what this patent has to do with either 2.4 of model control systems (unless i am missing something?)

Paul
Old 06-19-2008, 10:25 AM
dribbe

ORIGINAL: GrayUK

Sorry, i dont get it?
Date on patent November 7th 2000
Date on Futaba Patent October 2000.

So if you just want to go by that then Futaba wins!

Also i can not see what this patent has to do with either 2.4 of model control systems (unless i am missing something?)

Paul
If I can clarify it for you... The patent number you reference in your post is for a Toyota fuel injector (nothing to do with Futaba, or 2.4 ghz RC hobby) when searched on the official patent site.

Does this help?? (Try the link I posted if you prefer.)

David
Old 06-19-2008, 10:28 AM
dribbe

ORIGINAL: GrayUK

ORIGINAL: sweetpea01

Just as a side note.......they also came out waaaaaaaaaay after JR/Spektrum and XPS which solved many of the growing pains for them.
Sorry to be defensive on this but that statement is just not true.
Futaba have been making 2.4 g industrial control system for a hell of a long time, way before anyone else even got their feet wet. The patent on the FASST system with pre-vision registered US Patent # 6,142,392 dated Oct 31,2000.
So I do not think Futaba learned anything from Spektrum /JR or others.
The issues Spekrum had do not relate to Futaba, the chipset is not sensitive to low voltage and due to the frequency hopping it takes less than 1 second to lock on.

The nature of the deferent technologies makes it unlikely that lessons in one system could be of use in others.
You mention later about blanking of aerials, I have done extensive testing with FASST and have yet to see any issues with that. The patented FASST and prevision enable Futaba to function without the need for multiple rx’s etc. This simplifies install and makes the system more reliable as there is less to go wrong (KISS)

Yes Futaba dropped the ball on the Zero GUID issue, but they did acknowledge the error and recovered the situation quickly, even paying for smashed airframes.
As for temp issues, my data shows Futaba chipset is rated –10C to +60C.
Spektrum is 0C to +70C. Either system is good at high temps, provided reasonable precautions are taken to ensure over heating does not occur, i.e. Keep the rx’s out of direct sunlight and away from sources of extreme conductive heat, engines etc. To be honest, this is standard install considerations (or it should be!)
Low temp is another issue, last year in our club, 2 Spektrum sets would not function at all, temps at the time were below freezing. The FASST systems functioned and flew all day.

In relation to the question, I know of and have heard of many Spektrum systems crashing, I am sure not all are down to the radio. I also know many Spekrum users who have had zero issues. However, I have no knowledge of any FASST related crashes at all.

Paul

Your patent # referenced here.... US patent 6,142,392
Old 06-19-2008, 11:26 AM
tahustvedt

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-P...S=PN/6,141,392

There are links to related documents in the patent.
Old 06-19-2008, 01:02 PM
GrayUK

DOE!
Sorry about that, yes you are right, posted the wrong number
Number should be 6,141,392 as you say...still only 1000 out

Paul
Old 06-19-2008, 01:36 PM
dribbe

Hey, Thats better!
Probably developed with their industrial controls in mind?
Looks like it has to do with controlling timing of path diverse antenna changing in order to avoid packet interuptions?? Probably using it in R/C now?
Seems like a way to prevent LOOSING a packet by changing in the middle of the packet core data.

Have Fun,
David
Old 06-19-2008, 02:09 PM
GrayUK

That’s right; it selects the correct aerial during the preamble not data, that way it does not LOSE (not loose, that is the opposite to tight!) a packet due to corruption during aerial switchover. Clever system; simple but clever, as all the best ideas are.

Paul
Old 06-19-2008, 02:18 PM
dribbe

Cool,
I was too loose with my spelling.
As is noted, this is different from the mid/high end SPM systems that use 2-4 antennas permanently affixed to 2-4 recievers using diverse paths, then send the data (from 2 frequency/band segments) to a central point to determine the valid (checksum etc.) data to be used in the present (real time) sense. (In this sense, they try to acheive the same goal).
Anyway, I will now try to exit this thread.... as it is a Futaba thread! (Wish me luck!)

Regards,
David
Old 06-19-2008, 02:41 PM
GrayUK

Good luck and fair weather on your voyage [8D]
Old 06-19-2008, 07:28 PM
Wayne22
My Feedback: (2)

Not a jet, but a local guy lost a mega buck IMAC plane this weekend. FASST onboard..it went straight in - no control. FWIW.........
Old 06-19-2008, 07:46 PM
rhklenke

Any indications of a failsafe? Were the failsafes set?

Bob
Old 06-19-2008, 08:06 PM
Woketman
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

What was the most probable cause determined to be?
Old 06-20-2008, 12:32 AM
quist
My Feedback: (198)

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I lost my Flash while using the Fasst system. But it was a flameout and a bad decision that ruined the jet.
Old 06-20-2008, 12:51 AM
DelGatoGrande
My Feedback: (23)

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: Wayne22

Not a jet, but a local guy lost a mega buck IMAC plane this weekend. FASST onboard..it went straight in - no control. FWIW.........
was FASST felure responsible for the crash??
Old 06-21-2008, 08:01 PM
rosek007

ORIGINAL: GSR

Not to joke this time, but in reality what is the ratio of FAAST flights to spektrum/JR 2.4 flights? I can honestly say that I have only seen ONE Futaba 2.4 flight in the last three months and many hundreds of Spektrum/JR flights. I dont know the ratios in other parts of the country but out here it is easily 10:1 so of course there will be less FAAST crashes. Lets ask the original post question in a year when (or if) FAAST matches the number of in air hours. I agree that the frequency hopping system does appear to be better, but lets wait. Scott
I'm in the land of futaba here in Oklahoma and at any given time at the field i'm the only one with a JR tx, Guess what?, i'm the only one getting locked out, 3 planes so far, yes it's user error ( didn't re-bind after changes), guess when you don't see anyone else doing it, tends to slip my mind.
Kevin.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.