Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

MACS pipe

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 01:19 AM
-SomeGuy-

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: MACS pipe

ORIGINAL: dakamat

No problem SomeGuy!! You'll do a part of the road, and i'll did the same, maybe LaTuque should be a great place to bash togheter
It's about 3 hours and a half from Montreal and about the same from Lac St-John
Holy crap! I didnt realise it was that far lol. Well if ever you come down to MTL shoot me a PM, not sure if I'm ready to do 3 1/2 hours of driving [&:].
Old 02-09-2009, 04:53 AM
black mamba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: A.B.U

ok, let me be the first to say that looks like THE biggest waste of money, ever.
looks practically useless, and stupid.

/joke thread?
Nitro boats use those pipes and they run great with them. So how it is useless?[&:]
Old 02-09-2009, 05:10 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

Nitro boat engines typically have a WAY different powerband than nitro RC car engines. That is why
Old 02-09-2009, 08:00 AM
dakamat

ORIGINAL: black mamba

ORIGINAL: A.B.U

ok, let me be the first to say that looks like THE biggest waste of money, ever.
looks practically useless, and stupid.

/joke thread?
Nitro boats use those pipes and they run great with them. So how it is useless?[&:]
Don't wast your time with him, i think that he is jealous because he drive Losi truck
Old 02-09-2009, 07:31 PM
HPI_Savage_RC

The whole Macs pipe craze was started by an engine modder from another forum who generally gives good advice. His argument as to why they work more effectively than standard tuned pipes sounds logical to the layman, but unfortunately, I believe that most of "gains" people preach about are placebo.

In theory, a cut down Macs pipe is physically very similar to a standard double chamber tuned pipe. The divergent and convergent cone angles and lengths are similar, the length and volume of the pipes is similar, and although there is more flow restriction and induced turbulence in the flow of gases through the side exit stinger, this can be controlled by altering the stinger cross sectional area. So theoretically, there is little to no advantage, and I have yet to see any acceleration or top speed tests that prove the claims of the proponents of Macs pipes.
Old 02-09-2009, 07:47 PM
MadManAndrew

HPI_Savage_RC, whats up with the score board you got goin in your sig?
Old 02-09-2009, 10:42 PM
dakamat

Anyways guys, i like to be different from the rest of my friends, and if this MACS pipe give my about the sames performances than my 086 or my JP2, i'll be more than happy. You want to know why?????? Because for me, the MACS pipe have way better look than a standard pipe, and more, the sound is simply crazy, awesome
Old 02-09-2009, 11:48 PM
stussman

Ive been checking them out for a couple months after seeing drag cars use them. I look forward to a vid and review.
Old 02-10-2009, 12:08 AM
fabrimacator21

From what I understand the mac pipes make more power but do it in a very small power band. You might make a lot more peak HP but your bottom and mid end gets killed.

Old 02-10-2009, 08:12 AM
dakamat

Look at this vid, for me the bottom and mid is not to bad

http://s550.photobucket.com/albums/i...t=MOV00069.flv
Old 02-10-2009, 05:17 PM
fabrimacator21

that thing was scootin... almost looks like a flux.

Sounded like the top end wasn't too goo though. Maybe I was wrong about the powerband.
Old 02-10-2009, 05:25 PM
supertib

ORIGINAL: fabrimacator21

that thing was scootin... almost looks like a flux.

Sounded like the top end wasn't too goo though. Maybe I was wrong about the powerband.

from what I have seen the Macs pipe makes great peak power over a narrower RPM range...by adjusting the length you can tune for high end or low end or somewhere in between.. Its definitely a neat pipe however I do not think its quite the miracle pipe it was made out to be... However for the low cost its definitely worth giving it a shot....They are nasty loud and definitely give these engines a unique sound....
Old 02-10-2009, 05:45 PM
dakamat

They are nasty loud and definitely give these engines a unique sound....
You're right supertib, and this is the main reason why i've put it on my truck
Old 02-10-2009, 07:00 PM
gonzobot

that thing looks like it could pull up stumps! sounds awesome too but the topend looks to have suffered though?
Old 02-10-2009, 07:05 PM
purenitro33

I Have been playing with these pipes for over 7 years on boats, planes, home made projects and monster trucks. I have found that for 90% of the driving a savage does, they work very well. They perform so well because of the single chamber and 0 resistance except for the stinger, the only problem is the noise as they are incredibly loud.

The nice thing about this pipe is it is tunable, with a 1/8" adjustment between the pipe and header you can shift the powerband around. In terms of powerband, this pipe compresses it to a degree, it does not have a drawn out belly section (0 band) so no it does not cover the entire powerband like a pipe with say a 1/4"-1/2" band. It may not make the best race pipe but in terms of a monster truck, the application is perfect. It was never marketed as a miracle pipe, it makes more power then a conventional pipe for a basher and that's what we do. Here are some vids of the pipes.

Example of how loud it is.
http://video.google.ca/videoplay?doc...31026726116292

Here is my buddy's race truck, modified sts .28, lcg hpi tvp's
http://video.google.ca/videoplay?doc...91830216785924

Stage two modified Picco P3 in an onraod savage with custom 3.5" stretch tvp's, just after breakin.
http://s99.photobucket.com/albums/l2...t=MOV01349.flv

Same custom truck with a fully modified sts .30
http://s99.photobucket.com/albums/l2...t=MOV01315.flv

Here is a picture side by side with other pipes, you can see that the macs is basicaly the same thing. The stinger does stick past the end of the other pipes but the pulse bounces back well in front of it. I would not be working with Macs Products to design a monster truck specific pipe if I didn't see a benefit to it. Thanks. Robin.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:32 PM
bigwaltc

ORIGINAL: purenitro33

I Have been playing with these pipes for over 7 years on boats, planes, home made projects and monster trucks. I have found that for 90% of the driving a savage does, they work very well. They perform so well because of the single chamber and 0 resistance except for the stinger, the only problem is the noise as they are incredibly loud.

The nice thing about this pipe is it is tunable, with a 1/8" adjustment between the pipe and header you can shift the powerband around. In terms of powerband, this pipe compresses it to a degree, it does not have a drawn out belly section (0 band) so no it does not cover the entire powerband like a pipe with say a 1/4"-1/2" band. It may not make the best race pipe but in terms of a monster truck, the application is perfect. It was never marketed as a miracle pipe, it makes more power then a conventional pipe for a basher and that's what we do. Here are some vids of the pipes.

Example of how loud it is.
http://video.google.ca/videoplay?doc...31026726116292

Here is my buddy's race truck, modified sts .28, lcg hpi tvp's
http://video.google.ca/videoplay?doc...91830216785924

Stage two modified Picco P3 in an onraod savage with custom 3.5" stretch tvp's, just after breakin.
http://s99.photobucket.com/albums/l2...t=MOV01349.flv

Same custom truck with a fully modified sts .30
http://s99.photobucket.com/albums/l2...t=MOV01315.flv

Here is a picture side by side with other pipes, you can see that the macs is basicaly the same thing. The stinger does stick past the end of the other pipes but the pulse bounces back well in front of it. I would not be working with Macs Products to design a monster truck specific pipe if I didn't see a benefit to it. Thanks. Robin.
Very cool videos But where were they when we all were having that Nitro vs BL debate. Thats why I love the smell of Nitro in the morning [sm=shades_smile.gif]
Old 02-11-2009, 01:26 PM
purenitro33

Sorry I must have missed that debate, I haven't been around here much but I will try and be a more active member and help out where I can.

Great choice in pipes dakamat, I look forward to seeing a video of your truck running with it.
Old 02-11-2009, 05:45 PM
BANKRUPTER

Nitro fumes for the win! What fun is had plugging in a batt?
Old 02-20-2009, 02:53 PM
Team Knowitall

Do you have a video of the truck running on this pipe yet?
Old 02-20-2009, 03:04 PM
dakamat

ORIGINAL: Team Knowitall

Do you have a video of the truck running on this pipe yet?
It's winter here in Quebec, lot of snow and it's cold outside.
I'll try it just in begining of may.[>:]
Old 02-21-2009, 08:49 PM
Brent Davis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_3ujz49GwM

This is my Pro-Mod Walbern Chassis car using a Clock Works(Supertib) Picco P3 that he did with custom sleeve timing, lightened crankshaft and sleeve port work. I have nothing to write home about the ET from the car just yet because it has only been 1.78 but that was an aborted run because of mechanical issues. The P3 produces gobs of bottom end TQ that the car is very hard to handle down low but up top she screams. I have added weight up front to keep the front end on the ground. This thing sounds like it has a camshaft in it when at idle.............must be that port work from Clock works

The boat pipes have proven to make the most power PERIOD in a drag racing environment though. The Pro-Mod record to date with a guy using a RB C-5 engine and a MAC boat pipe is 1.46 seconds @96 MPH in 132'[X(] which is hauling absolute azz.....lol. Regular side pipes in that class have been 1.58 to 1.65 ranges and when you are comparing that difference in ET, the boat pipe will drush the guy using a side pipe BUT that is in a drag race configuration and I can't comment on what the boat pipe will do for your Monster trucks and such.
Old 02-22-2009, 12:13 AM
Revomad1

It seems like this pipe produces insane low to mid range power. They could easily be geared higher to make up for the lack of top end and still have decent low end throttle response.
Old 02-22-2009, 12:22 AM
fabrimacator21

I'd like to see a dyno of a picco p3 .28 on an 086 and then one on a MACS. Colt?