Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

What kind of people are into RC? Introductions

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

What kind of people are into RC? Introductions

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 03:56 AM
tommygun32

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What kind of people are into RC? Introductions

I wasn't going to bother posting because this theme has been done a couple times before in the 'off-topic' forum, but as you happened to post this....[&:]

Turning 45 in September, married with two great kids, son is 11 and daughter is 9. I'm from San Diego, but was born in San Juan Puerto Rico. Parents divorced when I was 2 and my mom moved to Germany where we lived until I was 10. In '76 we moved back to San Diego where I grew up. I've held down jobs from shoe shine and lemonade stand in Coronado when I was 10 - 11, paper routes, lawn care & gardening, auto detailing, etc in my early teens to fast food cook, prep-chef, cabinet maker, painter, goldsmith, etc.

When I was 19 my friend had a mobile dj company. One day he showed me the basics of how to mix two records together and it took off from there. Got a couple gigs around San Diego in bars and clubs (most noteably as the main DJ / MC of the hottest strip club in SD at the time [8D])

Saw and ad in the paper for dj working in other States around the country. Applied and got weeded out from about 50 applicants. The company basically became my agent and sent me on a tour around the States. I'd work for 6 months in a club living in hotels, then they'd call me with my next assignment and I'd be off to another State.

After 7 years of that, I went international and started traveling around the world dj'ing clubs all over the place.

After 13 years in total, I was burning out from the late nights and the 'club scene'. My last gig brought me to Dubai in '92 where I basically just stayed. Got back into F&B and was running a couple of Tex and Mex restaurants for a couple of years after that. Randomly and by pure accident, got offered a chance to present a weekend radio show on a station that had just launched in the UAE. I did that and the restaurant job for a year and suddently it hit me.....Hmmmmm...three times as much money and 1/2 the time in radio compared to restaurant...plus I loved the radio gig....that sealed it for me.

Didn't take long to realize that the 'real' power in radio isn't in the hot seat (unless you're someone like Howard Sterns) but behind the scenes.

So now (and for the past 14 years) I'm a copywriter / studio engineer / audio production guy and voice over. I'm the one that makes the jingles, commercials, promos, etc.

I got into control line, Estes rockets and plastic models when I was 10. Did the CL and Rockets for a couple of years, then came girls and soccer and fishing and surfing....you know the score.

My brother bought me a XTM XT2 Extreme when I took the family on vacation to SD X-mas '08 and I've been hooked ever since. Really wish I would have got into this alot earlier.

I now have a Jammin' X2 Truggy, a Jammin' X1X Pro Team Kit Buggy, a Kyosho MP7.5 Kanai III, Tamiya Hummer, Hyper 8.5 Pro Kit, still have the XTM and a bunch of spares and a few 'doner' cars. Oh ya...and a Blade CX2 Heli.

Kevin....the best way to do what you want to do is become a studio session artist and get in with the production studios in your area. Good luck.

ORIGINAL: Kevin Ham

Hey, I'm 24 and recently graduated with a Bachelor's in Business. I want to get into making radio jingles. I don't want to brag, but I'm a pretty good blues guitarist. I need to start making some money so I can get some cool rc stuff! I haven't really been ''into the hobby'' since just a few months ago but I've always had rc's.
Old 04-11-2011, 05:23 AM
Trooper11040

ORIGINAL: Sigma.40

ORIGINAL: Trooper11040

I'm 26, 5 year veteran of the US Coast Guard...currently a State Trooper in PA. I'm heavily into helis and just starting with planes...love everything about RC!!
They're shutting down State Police posts here in Michigan and laying off troopers. Hope they're not doing that in Pa!
Nah...we just hired 131 new troopers that started on the road today as a matter of fact...and they are hiring 115 new cadets on May 8th...we are getting funding thank god!
Old 04-11-2011, 06:53 AM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

I am 52, married with three children, the youngest is just 3 yrs old.
I am a Ob/Gyn physician, I deliver babies.
I cought the RC virus 1 yr ago and am now helpless. Have 5 planes ready to fly and spent a lot of hours at the flying field.
On weekends when I am not working I try to limit the time to 3 hrs so my wife doesnt get mad.
On my afternoons off, I go a little more, since she is not home and the baby is in child care.
Was in the Air Force for 4 yrs as a doctor. pilots were scared of us because we could ground them. LOL
Old 04-11-2011, 07:41 AM
Tommygun
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: lopflyers

Was in the Air Force for 4 yrs as a doctor. pilots were scared of us because we could ground them. LOL

Terrified for sure! Once you're my age, crewmembers are more afraid of their annual flight physicals than hostile fire, or their annual checkrides!
Old 04-11-2011, 09:59 AM
clockworkclock

<span style="color: #ff9900"><span style="font-size: larger"><span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS">I never knew there would be so many different people into RC.
ButI guess that's the blissful ignorance of youth.
I'm 18 and in my last year of high school, I fund my hobby with my part time job.
I work at a local rec centre as a swimming instructor and life guard.
My skills should come in handy when i finish my current project.
Building a 1m fiberglass boat. I've started with rc cars my dad bought me whenI was 5-6,
was a standard radioshak porsche.
I`ve been through quite a couple actually. Fun stuff, they could take a real beating.
I ended up dropping rc after I got my second boat, the first was a cheap toys R us boat.
The second was my first real hobby grade, the original traxxas blast.
RecentlyI got infected with the bug when i saw some internet videos about rc, i was quite impressed with today`s technology so i hopped right back into it.
I got a no name rc truck that performed well, still have it sitting on a shelf downstairs.
Got my first heli and plane a while back now. the plane is an aerobird challenger i think. i tottaled that when the internal circuitry came loose. the servos where attached tothepcb board so when it dislodged i lost all control.
my heli is an esky belt cp v2, currently waiting for me to do a complete tuneup, (having some difficulty with the blade tracking.)
and now i'm here, wrestling with my boat to get it done.
The hobby helps keep me out of trouble and provides something to kill the hours with.
The job helps too but it isn't nearly as fun.
Also my favorite colour is orange.

</span></span></span><span style="color: #ff9900">Clock.</span>
Old 04-11-2011, 10:30 AM
kaiser01

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i got into rc back in the 80's. my dad and i raced alot, mostly dirt oval and offroad.
then i got into real cars and chicks.

fast foward 17 years and i'm back into rc. i was into building and racing volkswagens, but we have started a family and i don't have that kind of time or $$ anymore.
rc is cheap compared to full size race cars.

my son is turning 2 in july and i can't wait for him to get into rc with me.

i'm a parts manager at a large vw/audi/porsche dealer in ct.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:30 AM
ejc34710

Well, i guess i'll chime in here. 28 years old and work for a privatly owned residential tree service. Single (free ) with no kids. Ever since i was old enough to hold a transmitter i've been into RC. Started out with the nikko/tyco rcs, but they never lasted. When the Clod Buser first came out my dad got one, and i've been hooked since. Was probably around 8 when i got my first hobby grade RC. It was a Beagle, a knock off of an Ultima i beleive. Since then, i've been into just about everything you'll find in a hobby shop: nitro, electric, cars, trucks, boats, planes, helis, rockets, and slot cars. Still want to try out a large scale gasser truck one of these days. I currentlly have 4 planes, 2 helis, couple rockets, and my T-Maxx. Other hobbies are fishing, shooting (trap mostly), and restoring my 62 dune buggy. I have to spread my money out kinda thin right now, its hard to keep everything running, and get parts for my buggy at the same time.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:33 AM
ejc34710

ORIGINAL: kaiser01

i got into rc back in the 80's. my dad and i raced alot, mostly dirt oval and offroad.

fast foward 17 years and i'm back into rc. i was into building and racing volkswagens, but we have started a family and i don't have that kind of time or $$ anymore.

I take it those were air cooled vws? If so thumbs up....
Old 04-11-2011, 10:38 AM
kaiser01

ORIGINAL: ejc34710

I take it those were air cooled vws? If so thumbs up....
both actually. i've built air cooled and water cooled drag vw's. my latest creation is a 400hp new beetle. it's being sold this week.
i still have my 120hp aircooled beetle. sold my bus 2 years ago.
Old 04-11-2011, 12:49 PM
Sigma.40
My Feedback: (1)

I have to spread my money out kinda thin right now, its hard to keep everything running, and get parts for my buggy at the same time.
I know how that feels. I used to have 11 RCcars. Trying to keep all of them running was so expensive and time-consuming that the hobby wasn't fun anymore. Sold all of them and bought the 3 I really wanted. Much more fun now.
Old 04-11-2011, 01:32 PM
ejc34710

I have to spread my money out kinda thin right now, its hard to keep everything running, and get parts for my buggy at the same time.
I know how that feels. I used to have 11 RC cars. Trying to keep all of them running was so expensive and time-consuming that the hobby wasn't fun anymore. Sold all of them and bought the 3 I really wanted. Much more fun now.
Wow 11. I keep my maxx running, my bros Savage and a freinds maxx up and running the best i can, and just the 3 of those keep me busy enough to get aggrevated sometimes. Can't imagine 11.
Old 04-11-2011, 03:18 PM
quiltsfly

I am 62 Y/O and have been a nurse (i am male) for 35 years. I fly and my wife quilts, so most of our screen names are quiltsfly. We have 5 girls and a boy (born on my birthday, last child) , 10 grandchildren and 1 great grand daughter with 2 on the way. I have been flying rc since 1992 and have just started working on two gas airplanes. Love the hobby....

Quiltsfly
Old 04-11-2011, 03:47 PM
Freddy!

Did your father work for the Ford dealership? Is his name Louis ?
Old 04-11-2011, 05:10 PM
Sigma.40

I know how that feels. I used to have 11 RCcars. Trying to keep all of them running was so expensive and time-consuming that the hobby wasn't fun anymore. Sold all of them and bought the 3 I really wanted. Much more fun now.
Wow 11. I keep my maxx running, my bros Savage and a freinds maxx up and running the best i can, and just the 3 of those keep me busy enough to get aggrevated sometimes. Can't imagine 11.
My E-Maxx was the worst. It broke everytime I used it. I especially happy to sell that one.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:41 PM
richie5150

Now we know where Greg Focker LIves
<br type="_moz" />
Old 04-11-2011, 07:55 PM
ejc34710

ORIGINAL: richie5150

<br type=''_moz'' />
????
Edit: Nevermind, geez.....
Old 04-11-2011, 09:18 PM
bhughes89

i know what you mean, i'm kind of a loner myself in the world of RC. only recently have i been talking to other people in RC, mostly because I'm working with Horizon Hobby for my senior design project.

im almost 22, senior in mechanical engineering at the university of illinois, like i said doing a senior design project with Horizon Hobby. i play ice hockey, i like to snowboard, and i support Pittsburgh sports (Penguins and Steelers mostly) despite being born in Cincinnati. i only got into RC about 4 years ago, had to put it down for a while to keep my school work up, but since this semester started i picked it back up again. right now, i only have a couple Associated electric cars, but i'm looking to expand to nitro trucks (HPI Savage baby), helis, and planes. i hadnt really known anybody that did RC stuff until i started workin with a bunch of people at Horizon, so now it seems (at least until I graduate) I've got quite a bit of knowledgeable and experienced people able to help right in my back yard.

my fascination with RC isnt so much the running, but the building, which i can safely say is comes directly from the mechanical engineering aspect. i know someday this will lead me to own a million RC cars, helis, and planes because i will probably build them, play with them for a bit, then move on to something new and more challenging, but i dont think of that as a bad thing necessarily.
Old 04-12-2011, 12:48 PM
Sigma.40

<br type="" />
????
No, not nevermind. I still don't get it!?
Old 04-12-2011, 02:44 PM
ejc34710

<br type='''' />
????
Although i dont understand the relevance of his post, he was referring to the gentlemen who posted abobe, quiltsfly. He mentioned he was a male nurse....
Old 04-12-2011, 03:36 PM
thehuntingterminator

14, in middle school, been into RC for a little more than a year and a half.
Old 04-12-2011, 03:52 PM
Sigma.40

<br type="" />
????
Although i dont understand the relevance of his post, he was referring to the gentlemen who posted abobe, quiltsfly. He mentioned he was a male nurse....
Still don't get it. Who the hell is Greg Focker?
Old 04-12-2011, 05:06 PM
The_Shark

I'm 21 and have been part of this hobby since i was 6.
im single and live at home(dont laugh) most part due to my plans to move to Austrailia in the next year or two.
I am a student in college, and work close to full time as a maintnence tech (hope for promotion soon)

im also interested in cars (real ones) diabolo, boomerang, billiards, and now recently target range shooting.

im mostly found tinkering on my 78 corvette project car, or at work, with little time to run r/c anymore.
in person i'm pretty shy at first but once i know you that goes away, im always cracking jokes at work/school.

my dream in life is to be a automotive engineer for Chrysler AU. a wife and two kids, a dog, a couple cats and a cozy home with some desposible cash.... oh, and a viper in the drive way
Old 04-14-2011, 01:50 PM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

23 here, and been married for 6 months I have a degree in Ag Systems Management. I grew up on a farm and always loved anything with an engine and spent many days bailing hay, working with cattle, and working on farm equipment and tractors. I got into hobby r/c when i was about 13. Been into it ever since then, though now im into it more since i have a little more $$ to work with.

I am the only mechanic for one of the larger landscaping companys in Kentucky. I enjoy my job for the most part because i have a lot of variety. I might be sharpening mower blades one day, rebuilding an engine, hauling sod with our F-550, or plowing snow in the winter time. I wish it payed a little better, but its really close to home and i dont work odd hours or weekends. My other favorite hobby is diesel trucks, however I cant afford what it takes to build a real diesel pulling truck, so since I can afford R/C with no problem I spend my money on that and I also buy and sell r/c stuff at times if it will make me some money. Also, since an r/c pulling organization just got started fairly close, I built an r/c pulling truck out of a Monster GT and get some of my pulling fix by pulling that. I also go watch a lot of diesel truck pulls in the summer and do some 4 wheeler riding when time allows. Pretty happy with my life[8D]

Eric

Old 04-14-2011, 07:31 PM
Tommygun
My Feedback: (2)

<br type='''' />
????
Still don't get it. Who the hell is Greg Focker?
Obviously you've never watched "Meet The Parents"
Old 04-15-2011, 05:21 AM
bhughes89

haha no he hasnt. good movie

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.