Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

TC5 vs. JRX-S type R

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 09:38 PM
bobcat7811

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: TC5 vs. JRX-S type R

You can not beat a TC5 for fit, finish, price, durability, and options out of the box in my opinion. Parts are also fairly priced and have a good availability. The car is easy to work on. It is fast, great customer support and you can get the pro's set ups right off their web site. New LiPos fit the chassis without mods. I have been running this car and it is HOOKED UP!! I just ordered the hard parts and cant wait to see this car carve lines into the carpet. Buy a TC5 and you will shame those high dollar TCs in no time.
Old 02-22-2008, 11:07 PM
cheech4

ORIGINAL: bobcat7811

You can not beat a TC5 for fit, finish, price, durability, and options out of the box in my opinion. Parts are also fairly priced and have a good availability. The car is easy to work on. It is fast, great customer support and you can get the pro's set ups right off their web site. New LiPos fit the chassis without mods. I have been running this car and it is HOOKED UP!! I just ordered the hard parts and cant wait to see this car carve lines into the carpet. Buy a TC5 and you will shame those high dollar TCs in no time.
i can think of a few things that can beat it just with one car. the Xray T2R fit and finish are about the same, with IMO durability going to the Xray and the price " being it sells for 200 " Xray too. BUT options hop ups and parts support the tc5 will win. BUT the tc5 is sweet and although my pick would be the xray unfortunately its not available yet so the tc5 wins.
Old 02-23-2008, 12:49 AM
associatedrules

ORIGINAL: cheech4

i can think of a few things that can beat it just with one car. the Xray T2R fit and finish are about the same, with IMO durability going to the Xray and the price " being it sells for 200 " Xray too. BUT options hop ups and parts support the tc5 will win. BUT the tc5 is sweet and although my pick would be the xray unfortunately its not available yet so the tc5 wins.
Although I am very brand loyal towards AE, Xray parts are becoming more and more available. I absolutely love my TC5 I have never had a single problem with it, but Xray puts out a new version of there chassis every year to meet demands of racing. Sure, it may mean that Associated's cars don't need to be refined as often, but some people may see it as lack of support for their product compared to Xray.
Old 02-23-2008, 01:49 PM
bobcat7811

I have alot of Associated cars mainly because the engineering is good on them. The parts interchange much of the time and they dont swap or create new chassis just for the sake of having something new. For the money this car has more bang for the buck. Is it the fastest best handling car in the hands of a pro.....those guys have had good days and bad. The new harder parts that are just now available will probably start showing in the results so keep watching.

That being said how many of us average joes drive like a pro....not too many I would say. For that it is good to have a quality car that is forgiving when you start out then without having to buy an entire new car convert the car to the stiffer part that are going to be more brittle when you are good enough not to smack the boards so much.

I have driven several cars before finally settling on the TC5. Here is may take.

Xray is an awesome car and in the hands of a pro very very hard to beat. Xray does put out a quality car but the drawbacks to me that some see as good are that every year you are going to shell out another 3 to 4 hundred bucks on the newest chassis. You will then sell at a reduced price you current car along with many parts that can not be used on the "New" car. The parts are more expensive and are not as durable for beginners because they are so stiff. Again opinion but the Xray is a far better car than the Losi type r.

Losi JRX0S Type R is again an awesome car as far as handing on Carpet. On carpet this car carves a line like a knife through hot butter. Other surfaces however have not been so kind to this car. Parts are very stiff which is what makes this car handle so well on carpet however I have watched drivers with that car who just have to get close to the boards and the wheel along with most of the suspenion falls off (yes this is an exaggeration but not by much). The car can not take wacks against the board. There is not alot of room for electronics either....keep that in mind when you wack a board as well ($200 plus ESC bouncing off wood says OUCH to me).

Corally is another sweet car but again not beginner friendly in my opinion. Hands of an experienced driver will make this car handle. I havent seen much in the way of support for racers as far as set ups and such but again I only know a couple that have these cars. Fast cars but you need to know what you are doing to get the most out of them.

TC5 is again the best bang for the buck if you ask me. Everything you need pretty much comes in the box as far as chassis wise. The car is very forgiving and durable for the beginner. Keep in mind people have been kicking tail with these cars straight out of the box but it is easily and at a low cost able to upgrade to more stiffer parts. The support for set ups are 2nd to none...the sponsored pro drivers freely share their set ups in forums and on the website. The parts a cheaper than both the Corally and the Xray and easier to find in most cases. Hobbyshop owners are hesitant to invest alot of doe into stocking parts for cars that may not use them in a year or so.

All of this is my opinion of course and the other cars have many many loyal followers that have reason that are just as valid as mine. I am the first to state that I do not drive my car to its fullest potential....yet. I may never get to that level but I bet most of the public will never as well. Keep that in mind when you purchase you car. Why do you really want that latest and greatest? Is it the bling factor, is it because you want the best made car..some folks just admire good craftsmanship no matter the cost or if you really can use the car to the fullest potential. Do you want a car that will drive good, easy to maintian, good support, costs less to operate, will not be out of date as soon as you get it to the house.

Just my opinion and I have many of those....lol.
Old 02-23-2008, 07:40 PM
XBGM3R

Again opinion but the Xray is a far better car than the Losi type r.

Losi JRX0S Type R is again an awesome car as far as handing on Carpet. On carpet this car carves a line like a knife through hot butter. Other surfaces however have not been so kind to this car. Parts are very stiff which is what makes this car handle so well on carpet however I have watched drivers with that car who just have to get close to the boards and the wheel along with most of the suspenion falls off (yes this is an exaggeration but not by much). The car can not take wacks against the board. There is not alot of room for electronics either....keep that in mind when you wack a board as well ($200 plus ESC bouncing off wood says OUCH to me).
Actually I am happy with TYPE R without any regrets. Type r has good handling on pavment also! TYPE r is all purpose around without carpet spec or pavment spec.

I really EASY find Losi parts at hobby store or online for rest unlike XRAY parts people will hard to find at hobby shop or online..
Old 02-23-2008, 09:22 PM
cheech4

i agree in some ways that xray puts out a new product every year. but alot of there part are interchangeable, for example almost every part between the T2 the T2R and T2 007 other then the top deck are interchangeable. the t2 008 is a different car and a few things may work, but IMO and a bunch of other Xray owners like the T2 line up better. and i would worry about dishing out 400 bucks for the best RC from xray cuz even if you have an older model like the T1FK´05 you can still win races. its not the car its the driver they say.

but the tc5 will be the safer buy cuz it will be around for many years with out a huge change, and parts support is plenty.
Old 02-24-2008, 09:12 AM
bobcat7811

XBG, I agree the losi parts are as easy if not easier to find than associated. Most people I know still have problems finding the set up for asphalt. Is there a place that is posted here. I could steer them to it.

Cheech,
No doubt the Xray is an awesome car. I didnt keep mine long after buying several A-arms. When I talked to the guys still running those they seemed to think that the parts wouldnt interchange. Maybe its their way of talking their wives into letting them get the newest cars.

And in the end Cheech has it right. Any of the cars mentioned can and will win races in the right hands. Once you get a good set up it is more about good clean lines than about the car.

Too bad we all live so far away cause I think we could have a good race (Losi, Xray, Associated).
Old 02-25-2008, 08:05 PM
Jerrygo714

You should go with the TC5, it owns. If i was you I would buy this

[link=http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=110227751364&ssPa geName=STRK:MESE:IT&ih=001]Click here to see the excellent TC5 Kit on ebay that I would buy if I was looking for one[/link]
Old 03-04-2009, 02:49 PM
diggernz

remember guys exposed belts will get damged in the end on car park circuits
Old 03-05-2009, 09:45 PM
samw2278

My son and I run the JRXS - R and they are definitely faster and handle better than the others. The parts are easily sourced from several places on the internet.

We had a bad run with the control arms breaking. Losi brought out a replacement arm, but by that time I had alloy ones made and been happily winning races ever since.