Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Tip - Don't be nasty to your Hobby customers

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Tip - Don't be nasty to your Hobby customers

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 11:18 PM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Tip - Don't be nasty to your Hobby customers

sigrun , you are 100% dead on !!!!
Old 11-28-2006, 02:59 AM
The Raven

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: sigrun
Actually I'd debate that any LHS whose staff don't focus on the customer as their raison d'etre has a major problem, and will soon be without them...with the obvious consequence that engenders.

Sure, customers, like anything to do with pandering to the public in today's age of egocentricity and absence of etiquette where rudeness and aggression are considered acceptable behaviours, can be an utter PITA to deal with diplomatically. But if the LHS proprieter or his staff can't or won't, then they've chosen the wrong business, employees or job...or should be peddling a wide range of toys to an equally wide demographic in a large volume market using a skeleton staff in warehouse like premises where they can afford to adopt a "there'll always be enough nOObe suckers" approach.

The days of either distributor or reseller being able to gouge a captive market are over. Loyalty is no longer restricted by geography, but assigned through the perception of value which is as fickle as the next purchase experience - which may or may not include availablity of info and setup 'service' as a desired/unrequired commodity - at a competitive price. Whilst most won't argue a 5% variation on your average article over the comfort of shopping with the familiar, a 25% price premium will see 'em buy from 'down the road' no matter how good the 'service' - even if the anonymity of the internet is used to achieve it. And price being equal, I 'fess increasingly I actually choose to shop online in preference to having to deal with a walk-in employing staff with an unwanted 'attitude'.

And a plug. Whilst I can't walk-in to his store, Roj gets my vote BTW. 2000km away and he delivers 4½/5 stars on pricing, overall performance and his absence of 'attitude'.
Agreed, LHS staff must focus on customers first. However, there are times (hopefully very few) where you have to draw the line. I'm not defending every retailer who is nasty but they are in an unenviable position of trying to make a dollar while keeping everyone happy, often facing some unrealistic expectations from customers who simply don't understand how business works.

The point I think we all agree on, to some degree, is that the "customer" and the "retailer" both have their roles to play and as long as neither side push the boundaries to far in their dealings things should be fine.

I also buy from Roj, he's rather local to me (albeit still a 40minute trip) and he offers good prices and service. His business model differs from some other hobby stores but it works. I also buy from other shops and the internet but it's a matter of picking who is the best to deal with (not necessarily just the lowest price) for whatever it is I need.
Old 11-28-2006, 01:45 PM
omcusnr

The biggest thing to remember is that the "Golden Rule" works both ways. If everyone took the time to think "Do I want that done to me", before they acted, we wouldn't need many other laws.

As a customer, I appriciate the LHSs we have and I liketo work with them whenever I can. Both of them here are pretty good about trying to match TH or HCo, or whoever mailorder, but they can't always do that. I try to get within the shippng costs or maybe a few dollars under & buy local.

Just remember, rude goes both ways, and what goes round, comes round.
Old 11-29-2006, 06:05 PM
shafs

Hi

this is going back to the post that started it all. i have been in the hobby for about ten years. and the shop in hawthorn has been there a long time and has been chargeing high prices for a long time. so most of the people i know in the hobby dont go there. but if you are new to the hobby you could get burnt.

shafs
Old 11-30-2006, 12:34 AM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

Don't you just love it when the clerk says , " we don't have that in stock, but we can order it for you". Dude, I can order it myself. I was trying to help my LHS. Its one thing to spoon feed these idiots. Its another to delay a project for them. Hobby shops are for cars !!
Old 12-02-2006, 02:42 PM
LDM

pilot fighter , that is a critical problem , I know inventory can kill a shop , but some are so light that they are not worth stoping in .
I hear that more than any comment and its not on the unusual stuff but the norm
Old 12-02-2006, 11:09 PM
Flying freak

My lhs has almost nothign in stock but i work with him i order most of my stuff in the summer flying seasons i almost have somthing on order all the time and i dont mind sure it takes a long time to get it but you know if you ever have a promblem i know he will work with me as for the prices he does as much as he can.
Old 12-03-2006, 02:30 AM
The Raven

Choosing the right stock for a store is a very tricky subject. It's more of an art than a skill.

For R/C there are obvious products to stock and a retailer would probably try to stock as much certain brands as practical. Other items are name brands you must stock BUT because of their value or extensive range you can't have it all.

Then there are the black/white loyalty style products. There may be two or three leaders in a certain product range but customers have a very strong brand loyalty. Do you stock the entire range from each brand, pick the best sellers of each range, or simply carry just one. The first is unlikely and the other two are compromises that will inevitably not suit some of the customers.

Then you have the hot products which quickly become cold products when the next fad hits. What do you do, carry heaps of the latest fad product and hope you don't get stuck with stock when the fad changes?

I don't envy the smaller LHS' which can't afford to carry everything but then again, you do need a heavy investment in stock to appeal.

Using one example (which has been mentioned before), Roj spends up big on hot, loyal, and standard items. In particular he buys big on the core loyalty products and the latest items. This allows him to buy cheap and sell bulk with low margins. It works for him but I have no doubt he sometimes gets left with surplus post-fad items. Not every store is willing to take that risk and it's this that has made him very successful BUT there is the ever present risk.

Good luck to all hobby stores. They have to read the market correctly and make some very careful stocking decisions. As a result they often don't get the price breaks large volume guys get. We need to consider that when we visit our LHS, sometimes it's worth paying a few extra dollars for the convenience.
Old 12-03-2006, 07:06 AM
LDM

Being in sales I also blame the "trend " stock on the distributor . A good sales person will be able to tell by region , by demographics and income mix what is selling . Then they should inform the shop of the potential trend (remember I said potential ) .This is an open discussion that the shop must also feedback based on demand .
I remember going into a local place owned by a great mom/pop team . When i asked about micro fasteners from Dubro for park flyers , they said "we did not know the demand for that stuff , we are going to start carrying it "
This was a inner city shop that has customers with limited flying area perfact for park flyers but the distributor never menthioned the trends to them .
they were an older couple who did not travel to the shows , but were very open and helpful to the rc hobby .
Old 08-26-2007, 02:46 AM
flyoz
My Feedback: (7)

Hmm Ive visited that very same shop. i politely waited for 15 mins while the guy spoke with another customer?
Turns out the other guy was a mate and all they discussed was footbal- the guy then bought a $2 item.

Owner eventually decided to look in my direction saying- Yeah? as if I were an annoyance

I walked out with the $350 I wanted to spend on a model he had on the shelf. []

In case hes reading this I have since spend about $10K on the hobby[X(]