Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Reinforcement taildragger

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Reinforcement taildragger

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 12:14 AM
AKSUMMIT8

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reinforcement taildragger

Tonight I had my Sullivan tail whell punch through the bottom of my Fuse, it was not a rough landing. I have an LT-40 converted to a taildragger. When I initially mounted it i put a small 1/8 peice of ply to beef it up, but it failed through the balsa. Any recommendations on beefing up tail, thinking about going with larger peice of 1/8 ply, and some small tri-stock. Also what's the best way to re-epoxy an area that had epoxy previously, Sand it down?
Old 08-31-2007, 04:04 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Reinforcement taildragger

Spread out the reinforcement. Use a lot thinner plate but make it cover more balsa. Or just soak CA around the balsa in the area. A small piece of 1/8 actually doesn't spread out the stress load at all. Spread out the stress load. 1/16" works good to do that. Don't like the weight? Drill some holes, the 1/16" won't care unless they're right at the edge of the bracket.

Actually, tailwheels don't encounter much force in normal landings because they really shouldn't encounter the ground until the tail stops flying and the tail settles.