Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Painting fiberglass

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Painting fiberglass

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2003, 01:48 AM
redbluffwingnut
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting fiberglass

I just tryed to paint my fiberglass cowl and bellypan and when i primed i got holes and pits and it looked like the waffeling of the glass was bleeding thru am i doing something wrong or is there a trick to it
Old 02-21-2003, 02:13 AM
mselby
My Feedback: (1)

sounds like you have glass with a lot of pin holes. The first thing to do before priming is clean the glass, often there is still mold release on the glass. You can use acetone or similar to clean it up. This is also important as the paint may otherwise lift at a later stage. Priming will show up the pin holes. Fill the pin holes, there are a variety of light fillers available, in some cases stuff like model magic will work if the holes are very small, Bob Violet sells a pin hole filler, vinyl spackle will also work. after filling sand out the primer until the finish is smooth, If the weave is showing through this is likely to be the primer contouring to the weave. Sanding this out with around 400 grit will give a smooth finish. Shoot another coat of primer. This time the weave should not show through, if it does, sand again until smooth. At this point you should be fine.
Mike
Old 02-21-2003, 02:20 AM
redbluffwingnut
My Feedback: (2)

thanks will give a try
Old 02-22-2003, 10:05 PM
jaycab

Try automotive paint products.Make sure you use epoxy primer
in fiberglass (it is the only primer that will stick).
Good luck...
Jay Cab
FinishMaster Tech rep
Miami,Florida