Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Question about painting metal gear.

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Question about painting metal gear.

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2003, 03:32 AM
Fly4Fun2
My Feedback: (25)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about painting metal gear.

I am ready to paint my 40% Edge. I want to color match my gear.

How should I prep the metal?

I am using PPG concept paint and primer. Anyone use this on metal gear and any suggestions?

OR.....

Should I just polish it to a nice shine?
Old 02-20-2003, 04:52 AM
Sense963
My Feedback: (10)

Buddy of mine polished his 1/4 Extra... pretty tough to beat. I think he used polishing compound or something, mirror shine and A+ SHARP!
Old 02-21-2003, 03:20 AM
Bruce L Prater

Get a primer made for alum.
Old 02-21-2003, 03:42 AM
Flypaper 2

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Zinc chromate primer for aluminum. Most paints will peel off over time without it. My planes don't last that long!!!
Old 02-21-2003, 06:45 AM
linclogs

I've had experience using zinc chromate on aluminum. A couple of things I might add:

Someone told me several pointers years ago re: getting paint to stick to aluminum. First, you need to clean the aluminum really well - get any oils off it, then do not touch it with bare skin (use rubber gloves). Wash the part in white vinegar (does some kind of "neutralization" to the metal). Spray the zinc chromate on in very light "dust coats". Do not try to put it on in one coat - it will peel off. I was using butyrate dope for the final color coats. I followed these directions and had good luck with the dope staying stuck. The only thing I'm not sure about is compatibility between zinc chromate and other types of paint. But I do know the prep part works.

Gord - are you the same fella that was helping me out nearly 2 years ago re: a J-5 Enterprises Stinson Voyager? You had told me that you had been on exchange duty at Mather AFB in the mid-60's? That Gord had told me he was from London, Ontario. Are you one and the same by chance?
Old 02-21-2003, 01:52 PM
Flypaper 2

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Linclogs:
Must be someone else with a lucky name. Was here all through the 60s. Ironic, born and grew up in London Ont.
Old 02-22-2003, 03:33 AM
Bruce L Prater

Zinc chromate is an etching primer, acts as abonding agent for the paint, you don't sand it and you keep it as thin as possible, but still cover. Lacquer and acrylic enamals will paint over it. Zinc chromate is getting hard to find, they have some new etching primers, your auto paint supply should be able to point you in the right direction, just ask them.
Old 02-22-2003, 11:04 PM
CafeenMan

I've had good success by baking painted aluminum parts in my oven at I forget what temperature. Probably around 250-300 degrees for an hour or so. I used enamel from Sears similar to Rustoleum and it ended up being very hard.

I used that method on a couple aluminum spinners and they have held up well to an electric starter - no chips or scratches. I used whatever primer was in the same line as the paint - nothing special.