Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Nimh, Nicd, and MAh

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 07:44 PM
lositwo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nimh, Nicd, and MAh

can anyone explain the difference between these batteries? My charger shows that it only charges Nimh and Nicd.

Nimh, Nicd and MAh
Old 01-03-2009, 07:52 PM
camaross427

Default RE: Nimh, Nicd, and MAh

mah is the capacity of the battery..nimh is newer and better then nicd..lipo is the newest in best, for that you need an lvc, balancer and a lipo compatible charger...that is batteries in a nutshell
Old 01-03-2009, 07:54 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mah stand for the capacity that the nicad or nimh battery holds. It is milliamp-hrs.

the nicad and nimh are the battery type and nicads are older tech and lower capacity.
Old 01-03-2009, 07:59 PM
SAVAGEJIM

NiMH = Nickle Metal Hydride, what most rechargable batts are, much more reliable than Nickle Cadnium (NiCD). Only 1.2V per cell, where non-rechargeables have the benefit of 1.5V per cell. So, if you want 6V, you need 5x NiMH AA batts to equal 4X non-rechargeable batts

NiCd = Nickle Cadmium, older rechargable, not as good as NiMH as far as holding a charger over times as NiMH (At least from my experience of my batts losing charge when sitting around. Again, only 1.2V per cell. Again, you need 5x NiCd cells to get 6V

mAh = MilliAmphere-Hours. This is teh capacity of teh batt. So, a 3500 mAh batt can provide 3500 milliAmpheres for one hour.
Or, if teh current draw is less, say 1750, milliAmpheres, it can do that for 2 hours. Or also, if your radio, for example, draws 850 milliAmpheres, those 3500 mAh cells can give juice to your radio for 4 hours.

FYI: 1000 milliAmphere = 1 full Amphere. So, to me, it is stupid to say 2500 mAH. We should instead say 2.5 AH (Amphere-hours)
Old 01-03-2009, 09:22 PM
HJJFFFAA

ORIGINAL: SAVAGEJIM

NiMH = Nickle Metal Hydride, what most rechargable batts are, much more reliable than Nickle Cadnium (NiCD). Only 1.2V per cell, where non-rechargeables have the benefit of 1.5V per cell. So, if you want 6V, you need 5x NiMH AA batts to equal 4X non-rechargeable batts

NiCd = Nickle Cadmium, older rechargable, not as good as NiMH as far as holding a charger over times as NiMH (At least from my experience of my batts losing charge when sitting around. Again, only 1.2V per cell. Again, you need 5x NiCd cells to get 6V

mAh = MilliAmphere-Hours. This is teh capacity of teh batt. So, a 3500 mAh batt can provide 3500 milliAmpheres for one hour.
Or, if teh current draw is less, say 1750, milliAmpheres, it can do that for 2 hours. Or also, if your radio, for example, draws 850 milliAmpheres, those 3500 mAh cells can give juice to your radio for 4 hours.

FYI: 1000 milliAmphere = 1 full Amphere. So, to me, it is stupid to say 2500 mAH. We should instead say 2.5 AH (Amphere-hours)
It's ampere.
Old 01-03-2009, 10:04 PM
lositwo

Thanks for the info

Old 01-03-2009, 10:27 PM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: HJJFFFAA

It's ampere.
I know, it is a bad habit of mine to use the incorrect spelling of Andre Ampere.

This is due to my unfortunate early conditioning to add the "h" as my middle school and high school teachers made us put the silly "h" into Andre's name. As a matter of fact, several of my physics professors made us do the same and the even pronounced Andre's name as "AM-feer" and would get mad if we did not pronouce his name with an "f" sound in it.
Old 01-03-2009, 10:33 PM
HJJFFFAA

ORIGINAL: SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: HJJFFFAA

It's ampere.
I know, it is a bad habit of mine to use the incorrect spelling of Andre Ampere.

This is due to my unfortunate early conditioning to add the "h" as my middle school and high school teachers made us put the silly "h" into Andre's name. As a matter of fact, several of my physics professors made us do the same and the even pronounced Andre's name as "AM-feer" and would get mad if we did not pronouce his name with an "f" sound in it.
The english teachers mushave hated that. "Am-feer"....