Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

D&L Designs Edge 540 27.4%

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

D&L Designs Edge 540 27.4%

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2005, 09:42 PM
jspencer
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D&L Designs Edge 540 27.4%

I already posted this in the kit building section, but decided that this may be the better place. Has anyone built/flown one of these kits? If so, were there any tendencies or recomendations that anyone could provide? I built quite a few smaller kits and am looking to move into something a little larger. [link]http://www.dldesigns.net/edge.htm[/link]

Or for $400 I could just go with a WH 540/Extra or a Aerotech Velox Revolution II which may be the way to go, since it will be my first gasser and by the time that I finished building it I would have way more then $400 into it and that makes it hard to fly and take any risk.

Any suggestions on which would be the best way to go would be appreciated.

Either way I go, I was thinking about using a BME50 for the power plant. Any thoughts or experience with this?

Thanks,

James
Old 02-06-2005, 10:46 AM
Bashedit
My Feedback: (35)

Default RE: D&L Designs Edge 540 27.4%

James,
I built one of these about two years ago and powered it with a SuperTigre 3250. It was a good flying plane, but I had tom many problems with the engine. Wish I had my BME 50 back then, I've even thought about building another. When you compare to the WH and the Aerotech you'll probably find that you'll spend about the same amount. I've determined its just a matter of what you're hobby interests are. If you want something to occupy your time during the winter, then build something, but it takes time and money. Planes this size take quite a bit of covering, hardware, etc. I usually decide by how long it's to the flying season. Last winter I built the WH Edge, don't forget to add the cost of the hardware pack, was over 500.00 with shipping to my door, but is a good flying aircraft, weighed in at 18 pounds though. I'm actually considering the Aerotech for my BME 50 also. Advertised at 16 pounds and at 399.00 with hardware its a bargain. I'm surprised there isn't a build and fly thread, maybe we'll have to start one!

Ed
Old 02-06-2005, 02:53 PM
jspencer

Thanks for the info Ed. That is kind of what I figured as far a price goes, by the time you finish with the plane you have a little more into it then you would with an ARF. I think that I will go with either the BME 30% Edge/BME 50 engine combo or the Aerotech/BME 50 combo. This will be my first gas plane and I think that the ARF might be the way to go, that way I can get an idea of what I like/don't like, and then maybe do a build next winter.

James
Old 02-06-2005, 05:40 PM
bipeaddict

I am in the process of building this bird from a short kit and have everything for it except time. I have only completed the stab and elevators.

Here is one website dedicate to the build. http://www.plane-crazy.com/edge.html

Threads

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_14...tm.htm#1492138

There were some other threads but might have dropped off the site.
Old 02-06-2005, 11:22 PM
jspencer

Thanks for the info/links bipeaddict. When I get ready to build a kit this will probably be first on my list and will keep in mind the changes that were listed on the links. I'll try to keep it book marked and if I have any questions I will shoot you an email, if that is OK.

James
Old 02-07-2005, 11:05 AM
tonyc
My Feedback: (4)

I built this plane two years ago. I fly it with a Moki 180. I like to scratch build and can build a lighter plane with better hardware for about the same money as the ARF that you are thinking about. Mine came in at around 15Lbs.

Its a great flying plane. But you have to like to build to get the most out of it. If its all up to a money issue then it will cost you about the same amount of money either way you go.

tonyc
Old 02-07-2005, 11:27 AM
Superfast
My Feedback: (2)

I built one of the D&L Edge's last year. The plane flys great and if kept light will do pretty good 3D. Mine was powered by a Brison 2.4 and came in right at 12.5 lbs. It came out very light due to ALOT of fuse mods to keep the weight down. Take at look at this page, the pictures will tell the story !

[link=http://www.scottsrc.com/newsite/dledge.html]http://www.scottsrc.com/newsite/dledge.html[/link]

Scott
Old 02-07-2005, 11:59 AM
bipeaddict

Scott,

Glad you saw this thread. I couldn't find the URL to your site or I would have let everyone know about it.

Jim
Old 02-07-2005, 12:03 PM
jspencer

That was a good looking Edge Scott, and you did a lot of mods that really lightened the plane considerably. I've built 5 smaller 40-90 size kits and enjoy building and then flying them. I think that I will more then likely stick with the ARF for my first then, do something similar to what you did, and modify the kit to incorporate the things that I like. I'm not very good at the 3D stuff, but that is the whole point of going to the field time after time is to get better. I've also been told that the larger the plane the 'easier' it is to fly and do 3D/IMAC stuff. We'll see how I do with my first gas plane (ARF), then go to the kit. I find that I am less likely to try new things that I'm not comfortable with when I have built the plane vs. the ARF. If you're gonna learn new things, you've got to be willing to take some chances. I purchased a sim recently but haven't received it yet and hopefully that will help with the piloting skills. Thanks for all the great info.

James
Old 02-07-2005, 12:36 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I built most of mine last year after I had carple surgery in my right hand. Haven't had time to get back to it much, but I built the tail surfaces and installed them this weekend. Will finish it and fly it this spring. Have a DA-50 in the nose. Friend flys it in AZ and likes it a lot.

I can't wait to fly it.
Old 02-07-2005, 02:27 PM
tonyc
My Feedback: (4)

Scott:

Thanks for the pictures of your build. Mine came in at 15lbs and I knew I could have come in at least a pound lighter. But seeing your build I think I could hit the same weight you did.

I am tempted to do it again only a little bigger.

tonyc