Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Anybody own a 5.8 FPE.

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2003, 10:21 PM
rustyrivet
My Feedback: (6)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Anybody own a 5.8 FPE.

What is the deal with this engine guys? You look in the SEARCH, and it's practically as if this engine doesn't exist.

Except for the ZDZ80, this engine looks to be the next best reasonably priced engine. It comes with electric ignition and a twin pipe muffler for $699 It's also nice to know it's distributed by a reliable company; SIG.

I'm interested in using a 5.8 for a 40 lb Meister P-47 that I'm planning. This engine would be preferable with the up front weight, and because the muffler is just what I need, and the engine has a side carb instead of a rear carb as with the ZDZ80. I hear FPE's shake less then Quadras or Brisons too?

I've already heard spotty bits of info about their 2.4, 3.2,and 4.2 engines. Don't need to know about those. But how about the 5.8?
Anybody ever bought their 5.8!!!??? Talk to me. I'm all ears.
Old 07-29-2003, 09:51 AM
BAS
My Feedback: (28)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought and used the 5.8 when fpe first came out several years ago . I had installed on a 25lb staudacher and the performance was awesome very low vibration for a single cylinder large gasser.It has very good low end torque and i have no negatives to say about the motor. Used a Menz 26/10 standard prop
Old 07-29-2003, 01:32 PM
bestrcpilot

I have a FPE 5.8 in a 28 pound Ultimate.
A great engine very little shake for a big single. The engine is made by http://www.fpengines.com/ and sold by SIG . By the way the service is great I had to send mine in to have a bearing replaced( got the engine in the Ultimate used, there was rust in the front bearing) the turn around was less then a week. It starts easy and runs with my 3W 100 and is lighter. The only down side is that it is a little loud with the stock "muffler"
it does have a bark to it. At about half the price of a 100cc twin and the same power. Go for it if you do not need the latest and greatest twin.

I'm not saying that 3W and DA are not great engines I own both, but a good single does have a place in the market and this engine is it.

Scott Yeo
Bestrcpilot
Old 07-29-2003, 01:55 PM
ww2birds
My Feedback: (14)

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

One other 5.8 class engine to consider is the Husquvarna 5.7 derivative made by J+A engineering. Very similar to the Brison/FPE/Fox engines, but using the Husky piston/cyl assembly vs. the Sachs and a C+H ignition.

The 5.8 Sachs is known to be a real shaker .. and the Husky seems a lot smoother. I have one on a 33.5# AT-6 and it is awesome .. spins a 24x12 or 24x14 prop and the plane really "hauls the mail" :-)

See http://www.j-aengineering.com

Not "cheap", though ($745)

I am using a Bisson vertical-style muffler (the one that is parallel ot the cylinder axis) and it's "reasonably quiet".

Dave
Old 07-29-2003, 02:56 PM
Big_Bird
My Feedback: (1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Randall, there you have it. No better recommendation than from a satisfied customer. GOFORIT.

I've always liked spending other people's money.

Ken
Old 07-29-2003, 03:53 PM
rustyrivet

Dave,

Thanks for the info of a Husqy engine. If I had my way with a $745 class of Scahs engine though (without muffler) I'd go for the Taurus 5.8 TS95 at $765 (also no muffler). Too much $$ for my warbird purposes though.

KEN,

Not so fast.....That's my $700+ that your spending!

Scott, & Bruce;

The only thing I noticed and concerns me about your input, is that you say you had them in fairly lighter planes at 25 lbs and 28lbs. The Meister P-47 is 102" and weighs 35 to 45 lbs (as listed at the Meister web site.) I intend to glass the plane, and wouldn't doubt if it builds closer to the 45 lbs listed.

Though I'm not needing 3D performance, am I pushing the threshold of this FPE 5.8 engine? Rumor has it that it's a weaker engine. (Rumor true? How much weaker?)I've seen prop sizes and RPM's listed for the ZDZ80 here on RCUNIVERSE by the guys, and have no doub't about the ZDZ having the thrust for this big heavy warbird.

But again, I prefer this Sachs FPE 5.8 for side carb, included muffler and weight, as long as I know it's got the reserve power I'll need for this Big Meister.

I'm still fishing for some numbers if there out there, and more assurance from anybody else.
So far I like what I hear. Especially, that it's not a real shaker.

Thanks guys....... in the meantime, I'm still ears for any other testimoney!
Old 07-29-2003, 05:45 PM
bestrcpilot

Hello Randal again
My FPE 5.8 in the Ultimate is turning a 26x10 carbon fiber Menz ? (sorry the name has been rub off) and will pull the plane out of a hover like a Saturn V . The plane will hover a 1/4 throttle. So see no trouble with a FPE in a 48 pound war-bird. I have a 46 pound 101 inch Corsair with a 3W 100 in it and it flys good. It just take some run way to get it in the air. And I feel that the FPE 5.8 runs as strong if not a little better then the 3W on the same prop. You may have to try difference props to find the one that you plane will like .
Hope this is a little more help to you
Scott Yeo
Bestrcpilot
Old 07-29-2003, 07:09 PM
walton
My Feedback: (24)

I don't think you can go wrong with the FPE but If you wanted to save some $$ and get a equal or more powerful engine I have a new Brison 5.8 with two mufflers one a Pitts and prop drill jig for sale in the gas engine for sale forum for $650.00 shipped. Just thought I would mention it to you. Thanks James
Old 07-30-2003, 12:37 AM
rustyrivet

Hello James,

Not to be disrespectfull, but the 5.8 Brison shakes a bit more, has a urine poor customer service department, and has been discontinued for a new cantalever designed engine, with a longer prop shaft. Just missed buying the same thing from that Snotbox guy with an in-cowl muffler, and velocity stacks for $450 last Thursday. It seems snotty went and sold it to somebody else the same night right after I asked him for his home phone number. Silly me for requesting to have his home phone number before I dropped $450 cash to a stranger named SnotLockBox.

I thought this would be interesting information for those who wish to discuss the merits of the Brison 5.8 engine, as I am always open to more knowledge. But James, you're welcome to tell me that you don't wish this to be posted if you take offense, and I will edit and remove it for you. Thanks for the offer anyway.

Scott,
I realy appreciate you going out of your way to give me all the information about the FPE. It's that or the ZDZ, and I'm very tempted with this FPE

Stiiiillllllll listening. Anybody else ever bought an FPE? Step right up. Come on and talk to me.
Old 07-30-2003, 01:09 AM
walton
My Feedback: (24)

I have never seen a FPE 5.8 run so I don't know how bad it shakes. A friend has a Brison 5.8 on a Lanier extra and it is pretty smooth. As far as Brison customer service I have had no probs with them standing behind their product and one time they helped me out when it was my fault. The redesigned on the crank is to offer a single bolt hub instead of a six bolt hub not because of problems. I know that twin's are more costly but maybe you might consider on of them. I don't take offense to what you wrote, good luck with what ever you choose.
Old 07-30-2003, 11:57 AM
Nickrc3

Default 5.8 w/ Meister P-47

Randall,

I've been running the Brison 5.8 with my Meister 47' for about 2.5 years. In all honesty, the Brison customer service is good, but I would definitely shop around if I desire another 5.8 shaker.

Purchased directly from Brison 2.5 years ago, I've had too many failures occur from a $775.00 + engine. Worst part is these failures nearly cost me the airplane on three occasions. They did cause considerable repair work for me.

First - out of round single bolt prop adapter ( and no, the crank never touched any hard surface). Brsion repaired it $00.00
Second - mechanical advance phenolic block wears loose due to a unsecure screw/nut inside assembly. Repaired again for $00.00.
Third - electronic module dies. It was properly insulated from both heat and vibration. This is a CH Ignition product which they repaired $00.00
Fourth - pulse switch fails, again CH product. $00.00 from CH Ign.
Fifth - pulse switch fails again. This time I paid for the part.

Oh, shipping and insurance also runs each pop.

All in all, I own and operate 3- 3w engines, 10 Zenoah's (4 G-62's, 3 G-38's and 4 G-23's) and never had failures of this sort.

Guess I just got snake bite with this particular engine.

Hope to fly the 47' at Bomber Field this September. See you there.

Check out my Photo Gallery - Nickrc3. I plan on bringing 5 warbirds

Nick
Old 07-30-2003, 02:18 PM
rustyrivet

Nick,
Well, I just guess that just serves to keep me on a steady course toward the FPE 5.8 or ZDZ80.
Please do bring the Meister P-47 with you to Monaville. I'll be there. Don't be surprised if you hear once from me with a PrivateM. before the show, reminding you to show up with it!
Thanks for the input.

Anybody else out there with FPE 5.8 input?
Old 08-02-2003, 01:52 AM
ronk1
My Feedback: (25)

I have a FPE 5.8 and think its great. It makes most other large singles look bad. The crank is made by FPE with R/C in mind(well balanced). Some engines use sachs crankshafts that make vibration an issue. Bang for the buck this is it.
Old 08-02-2003, 02:03 AM
ronk1

I jest want to add and say that I don't work for FPE. I do own three of them 2.4 -3.2 and 5.8 if that tell's you anything. If power is part of the decision the 5.8 FPE will out pull the ZDZ 80.Keep in mind the prop used is a big part of how any large engine preforms. If you go with a FPE 5.8 a 26-10 menz s or Mejzlik C.F. work well.
Old 08-04-2003, 12:15 AM
EJB

Default FPE 5.8 vs. ZDZ 80

Originally posted by ronk1
.......".the 5.8 FPE will out pull the ZDZ 80."

Really?...can you give us any numbers(rpm & prop) for the FPE 5.8?
Haven't seen any FPE's around here but plenty of ZDZ 80 singles.
Old 08-05-2003, 03:03 AM
ronk1

My FPE 5.8 turns a Menz S 26-10 on the ground 6375 rpm. The ZDZ 80 my friend has turns it 6220 rpm. What the companies clam and the real world seem to always conflict. I prefer the real world.
Old 08-05-2003, 04:00 AM
aerobear
My Feedback: (4)

150 rpm difference between engines either way is nothing to get excited about.

The FPE 5.8 also weighs about 20oz. more than the ZDZ 80.
$80 more too. Just want to make sure we stay all the way in the real world.
Old 08-05-2003, 08:38 PM
EJB

Both of my 80 singles turn a Menz 26x10 at over 6400.So do the other one's that I have tacked.My freind had one with a KS tuned can that turned a Menz 26x10 at over 6700.Considering the fact that the FPE has 15 more cc's, & weighs more,6375 is nothing to yell about.
Old 08-05-2003, 09:29 PM
bdtsr
My Feedback: (5)

Well my new Brison 5.8 bought right here on RCU was run today. I posted readings in the Tach section. For those who say it's a shaker, NOT THIS ONE! With about 15 minutes of run time on it no less. It's mounted (no soft mounts) on a GSP Edge 540. With the wings on and using a Zinger 26X10, pulled 5900rpm and idled at 1500rpm with very, very, little shake. It's as smooth as my friends 3W78 twin and smoother than my other friends M&R 100 twin (which turns a 26X10 at 5700rpm)! This is a sweetheart of a motor. Easy starting and runs really nice.
Old 08-05-2003, 10:46 PM
rustyrivet

Default Any 5.8 FPE out there? The RCSHOWCASE FOLKS.

Actually,
The ZDZ80, and the FPE 5.8 are really quite the same in price. Being the FPE at $699 already has a twin pipe muffler, but the ZDZ @ $615 will require you to buy a $90 muffler.

Now, with RONK having been kind enough to post hard numbers, I'm pretty sure the FPE will work just fine in a big P-47.

ABOUT THE FOLKS AT RCSHOWCASE(WHO SELL ZDZ): I am not a customer of RCSHOWCASE, and so they owe me nothing. I was trying to get information about the muffler options from Mike Dooley at RCSHOWCASE before I purchased the ZDZ80engine......and that's exactly what I got after 2 emails and a phone call there, NOTHING! I don't know if you guys have tried to talk to someone there, but it left me feeling like I was a being a genuine pain in the ass for trying. His e mails are brief and purposely ignore the question to save time and trouble. (I asked him to advise what type muffler may be used for the particular model I'm building. And he e mails be back with only the catolog number and price of the 3 available mufflers) His secretary is new, and admits to KNOWING NOTHING ABOUT THE ENGINES, but will not allow you to talk to anyone who does know anything. You know how she answered my question, of "How does the smoke muffler differ from the regular muffler?"....."It makes smoke, the other one doesn't" I told her, I had enough sense to know that! I basically wanted know about the differences in performance. (If there might be static thrust or RPMS differences.) Instead of putting me on the phone with someone I could speak with, she started writing down my questions on paper, word for word. It's obvious she has been instructed not to connect you directly with Mike Dooley or whoever else is there. I get another half assed e mail, again from Mike Dooley brief and missing the point. Finally I e mailed them back to tell them, that I was disgusted by now simply trying to get questions answered about their products, and that I didn't appreciate being treated like a "Freaking idiot" by the secretary, nor appreciated being "regarded as a nuicanse". You know what Mike Dooley's e mail back to me was? "Wow.....kind of Extreme. Call me ASAP" Never mind he could have responded: I'm sorry Randall, there must have been a misunderstanding. Give me a call, and I'll be happy to answer your questions. Nope. I just get called "Extreme", and orders to call him ASAP.

I'm going to try like the Devil not to buy a ZDZ, so I don't disturb them any longer.
Old 08-06-2003, 01:03 AM
Diablo-RCU

My experience with RCS has been just fine. When I needed to talk to Mike, I explained to the receptionist why (technical question about the engines). Mike was out and called me back.

A little phone screening is useful sometimes. If someone calls me at home, my wife does an interrogation on them that would make the FBI proud....
Old 08-06-2003, 01:45 AM
Big_Bird

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Randall,

I have found Mike and staff at RCS to be very helpfull. I've read many testimonials on RCU about their willingness to stand behind their products. I can't imagine why they singled you out to be discourteous. That's just not their way from my experience.

As far as smoke verses non smoke mufflers goes, the lady was right although that's not what you wanted to hear. As far as I know, all of the mufflers that RCS offers for the 80 single have a smoke nipple attached. If you use it, it's a smoke muffler, if you cap it off it's a non smoke muffler. If you pull the nipple out, it is not attached to anything such as a coil which could impede gas flow through the muffler. Therefore, no performance difference.

You can view mufflers on their web site www.rcshowcase.com if you are still interested.

It seems that the FPE 5.8 is a very good engine from what I've read in this thread and would be ideal for your P47.

bdstr, glad you like your Brison 5.8. My Brison 5.8 has been one of the best gasoline engines that I've ever owned. It's in my Ziroli Corsair and is not a shaker. I'll be hauling the planes down to Bomber Field in September. Hope to see some of you down there.

Ken
Old 08-06-2003, 11:04 AM
747drvr
My Feedback: (5)

You're not alone. I got sketchy sevice from them as well. Promised call backs that never happened and 8 weeks to get a small carb adapter plate . Got "lost in the mail " twice and when I finally got it there was a part missing ! I won't buy another ZDZ just because of the treatment I got.
Old 08-06-2003, 01:28 PM
rustyrivet

Default RCSHOWCASE

Ken,

Sure, I've got their website and every other engine website on my favorites list to click on at a moment. But I am new to gas engines, and the RCSHOWCASE site says nothing to help me understand the advantages or disadvantages of using one muffler over the other.
Your explanation above about these differences, is a hell of a lot better explanation and time spent then anybody at RCSHOWCASE offered. But it took more than just 2 sentences of your time didn't it?? What if for a job, you had these questions all year round?......Welcome to RCSHOWCASE. They are tired of it, and it shows. A two sentence E mail is all I was going to get. And it was only prices, that didn't answer anything.

There is nothing to substitute personal one-on-one service.
Bill at Spring Air provides it. Brian at Robart provides it. Tower, provides it. Sig provides it. Horizon provides it.(great folks) Bob Holman provides it. Dan Palmer provides it. Nelson Products provides it. (great guy) Hobbico Services provide it. RCSHOWCASE BLOWS YOU OFF

I don't doubt that they CAN be very helpfull, and CAN stand behind their product. But they never gave me the chance to get that far.

THEY JUST VERY POLITELY SCREEN THEIR CALLS TO PICK AND CHOOSE WHAT CALL GETS THEIR PERSONAL ATTENTION, AND WHAT OTHER CALLS ARE TO BE REGARDED AS NON ESSENTIAL.

They must kill a lot of time answering questions, and talking to folks about their products, and prefer to avoid it. This attitude shows.

Haven't you ever had an individual, give you a warm smile while he is saying goodbye, put his hand on your shoulder to be friendly, and walk you out the door?
That polite treatment is fine if you already received his time and attention. It sucks, when you only just walked in through his door 30 seconds earlier! The point: That kind of treatment isn't rude or discourteous, but it still sucks.
Old 08-06-2003, 03:18 PM
Tiger
My Feedback: (7)

Randal, you not alone. I seem to get ignored by most of the big ticket manufactures as well. Seems they only want a small paycheck at the end of the day. I've had zero responces from both RCS and DA. If you ask about a big engine purchase, their ears perk up suddenly. Kinda funny really.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.