Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

just curious

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2003, 03:33 PM
electricfan
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just curious

im just curious, is it easier or harder to fly a giant scale plane than a small plane of the same model?
Old 07-29-2003, 04:44 PM
Highflight
My Feedback: (4)

Default just curious

If you're a newly trained R/C pilot, you're probably still in the "point the airplane that way and hope it does" mode so flying giants could be quite a challenge.

However, if you have enough flight experience where you have come to understand the "why" of aerodynamics and you watch the aircraft to observe the affect your input has on it, and control accordingly, then you'll only notice that flying giants is simply a little different, not any more or less difficult.

HIghflight
Old 07-29-2003, 04:52 PM
Newflee

Default just curious

I would vote for Giant scale hands down, if built and powered properly. The larger the volume of the wing, the more it reacts to air as it should. As a full scale pilot I can assure you that flying gets harder and less predictable as scale decreases. In other words 1/10 is harder than 1/4, 1/4 is harder than 1/1(full scale). This is a general idea but there are exceptions like slow 3 channel parkflyers. For scale aircraft, the larger the better.
Getting them to the field then becomes the hard part.

Lee
Old 07-29-2003, 10:55 PM
electricfan

Default just curious

yeah i fly an electric funflyer with ease (the one in the pic), and i understand aerodynamics pretty well so i think i would be able to fly a giant scale.
Old 07-30-2003, 12:02 AM
Newflee

Default just curious

I hope your right, but as I said parkflyers are the exception to the rule that I spoke of last. They fly very slow and therefore are easy to fly. The jump from park flyer to giant scale is too steep, no matter how well you have mastered the 3 channel bird.
Master a GWS P51 with 4 channels and then I'd say your ready to go bigger.
Also keep in mind that a giant scale doesn't recover from impact with the ground. A park flyer bounces and can be easily repaired. A crash in a giant scale bird will put you out of pocket giant cash.
Personally I fly both park flyers and giant scale, and enjoy both.......but I would rather crash the park...and do quite often.

Lee
Old 07-30-2003, 12:49 AM
electricfan

Default just curious

its a 4ch aerobatic plane
Old 07-30-2003, 12:59 AM
Newflee

Default just curious

Well go for it then. It's your money.
Keep in mind also that unless you are planning on building a giant scale electric, you have to be prepared to deal with complete dead stick flight. Unlike the telltale reduction of power in electrics, when the engine quits with a gasser you rarely have warning.
Have fun

Lee